Home Improvement Thread

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:48 pm

Gonna have a company come out to do an energy audit and price out what it will cost to up the insulation in our house. Our attic had insulation done at some point probably 30 years ago, but sticking my head up there.....there is not much. The ceiling in the garage also needs some, and im sure other places too. Not sure what it will all cost, but interested to see what is recommended at least.
Who is doing it? We had insulwise do ours a few years ago. We got insulation in the attic and they sealed our ducts. Definitely seems to make a difference
Insulwise is who is coming out. I'd be curious what you paid even if I'm sure the price went up in the past few years and every job is different etc.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Home Improvement Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:00 pm

Skull did you request the audit through your natural gas provider or some other way?

Also, you **** all over the stillers in the stiller thread so I hope you pay a lot for insulation and I hope the niners lose.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:03 pm

Skull did you request the audit through your natural gas provider or some other way?

Also, you **** all over the stillers in the stiller thread so I hope you pay a lot for insulation and I hope the niners lose.
It was something that was offered by the company (Insulwise) as far as the free audit goes.

Also I really don't think I **** on the stillers that much in that thread...and certainly not as much as lots of others.

Willie Kool

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:10 pm

My washing machine turned 30 last month. Saturday it started making a pretty loud noise like it was still trying to agitate while it was in the rinse and spin cycles. Made it through that one load and part way through one yesterday. Ended up having to finish the rinse in the sink and wring everything out by hand. After watching about 50 videos of 'noise during spin cycle' I found one that was exactly the same. Picked up and installed a new gearbox today and she's back in business.

Joegap

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Joegap » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:04 pm

Gonna have a company come out to do an energy audit and price out what it will cost to up the insulation in our house. Our attic had insulation done at some point probably 30 years ago, but sticking my head up there.....there is not much. The ceiling in the garage also needs some, and im sure other places too. Not sure what it will all cost, but interested to see what is recommended at least.
Who is doing it? We had insulwise do ours a few years ago. We got insulation in the attic and they sealed our ducts. Definitely seems to make a difference
Insulwise is who is coming out. I'd be curious what you paid even if I'm sure the price went up in the past few years and every job is different etc.
It was 5k to have our attic insulated and the vents sealed. I dont have the paperwork exactly, but I would say that is a good ball park

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:10 pm

It was 5k to have our attic insulated and the vents sealed. I dont have the paperwork exactly, but I would say that is a good ball park
Gotcha. How big is your house/attic space? I was assuming in that ballpark plus some because of inflation the last few years.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:39 am

Looking at my water bill history, rates have increased so much over the last decade that I'm paying nearly double what I did then for the same usage. Averaged $45 in 2013, and averaging $78 now.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:40 am

Source of the post It was 5k to have our attic insulated and the vents sealed.
So they sealed up the entire attic and vents? Is your HVAC equipment in the attic? That's the only time I've ever seen a fully sealed attic.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:43 am

So they sealed up the entire attic and vents? Is your HVAC equipment in the attic? That's the only time I've ever seen a fully sealed attic.
I'm assuming he meant around light fixtures and vent pipes, bathroom fans etc and whatever else is leaving gaps of air in the attic. Normal venting would still be there I assume.

eddy

Home Improvement Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:09 pm

Early last year I applied for a homeowner grant to help with improvements from leftover covid funds. It was a lot of work and it's been so long I figured I just didn't get picked. Today, I just signed the contract and am getting a new roof, gutters and replacing my plumbing with PVC. I'm literally shocked that this is happening.

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:10 pm

Awesome, congrats!

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:15 pm

Early last year I applied for a homeowner grant to help with improvements from leftover covid funds. It was a lot of work and it's been so long I figured I just didn't get picked. Today, I just signed the contract and am getting a new roof, gutters and replacing my plumbing with PVC. I'm literally shocked that this is happening.
:thumb: :thumb:

eddy

Home Improvement Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:16 pm

Apparently every county in PA has this program, I still can't process that I'm getting like $30,000 in free improvements

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:25 pm

*taxpayer funded ;)

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:27 pm

I'd rather it go to eddy than almost anything else FedGov would've done with it.

Joegap

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Joegap » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:33 pm

I'm assuming he meant around light fixtures and vent pipes, bathroom fans etc and whatever else is leaving gaps of air in the attic. Normal venting would still be there I assume.
They loaded my attic with insulation. My unit is in the basement. This is what they did

https://www.insulwise.com/duct-sealing- ... ittsburgh/

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:43 pm

They loaded my attic with insulation. My unit is in the basement. This is what they did

Yeah I watched some of their videos the other day. My setup is the same. Furnace in basement. I cleaned out the closet today and stuck my head up in the attic again...seems like not alot of insulation up there at all and if there is its the older pink fiberglass stuff. I'll be curious to what the recommend tomorrow. I also want them to look at insulating my joists in the basement and garage I think lots of air is sneaking in through there as well.

willeyeam

Home Improvement Thread

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:54 pm

I'd rather it go to eddy than almost anything else FedGov would've done with it.
yeah, that's great

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:06 pm

haha, I remember that episode of ATOH. Though, to be fair, I remember a lot of them...

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:07 pm

My wife really wants nothing to do with an energy audit right now, and thinks things are fine the way they are. Seeing as how we split these improvements every year, I'll just put it off until next year. Not that hard after spending money on solar.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:12 pm

Absolutely. I'm just saying, nothings free.

Pavel Bure

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:43 pm

Half the LEDs in the fridge went out last night. Door switches are good and work. Seems like the only fix is to order a replacement light and figure out which one is bad. They’re apparently like Christmas lights. One goes out and the other behind in the string also go out.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:24 pm

Resumed my basement finishing project this week after like a 24 month hiatus when my ADHD was no longer interested in it. Started with two massive, 8 foot long 4 rack shelves. Got everything into a 20x20 room. Liquidated some old furniture I'd been storing for God only knows why on FB marketplace for around $200 total - will pay for wire and electrical boxes. I'm about 3/4 done with framing from last time using metal studs. Next up will be to frame in the bar area, a utility closet, and move the hot water tank a few feet.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:30 pm

Source of the post will pay for wire and electrical boxes
I saw a 3D template for new work boxes on Thingiverse, so I can probably print you some if you don't care about code... :D

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:34 pm

That's pretty neat actually. I bought around 20 single gang boxes when I started 2 years ago. I'm going to use them up and go from there. I'm assuming I'll need some double gang ones soon