eddysnake's Thread of Stephen King

eddy

The Dark Tower

Postby eddy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:10 am

haha, even so, it would still ruin it by her being in it.

PFiDC

The Dark Tower

Postby PFiDC » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:45 am

HA!

So let's play the casting game.

For Roland I really like Bill Fitchner. He's got the overall look down already. Long, tall, and ugly with those bombardier blue eyes.
Cort:
Susannah:
Stephen Deschain:

eddy

The Dark Tower

Postby eddy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:56 am

Oh NO, not her for Susannah. She is terrible. (is that the girl from sleepy hollow?)

Get Ben Mendelsohn and Matthew McConaughey in there for Roland/Man in black roles (doesn't matter which one for which) and I'd be happy

Willie Kool

The Dark Tower

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:15 am

Roland:
Iain Glen

Susannah:
Zoe Saldana

PFiDC

The Dark Tower

Postby PFiDC » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:37 am

Oh NO, not her for Susannah. She is terrible. (is that the girl from sleepy hollow?)

Get Ben Mendelsohn and Matthew McConaughey in there for Roland/Man in black roles (doesn't matter which one for which) and I'd be happy
No, she is from The Wire.

I like WKs suggestion though.

PFiDC

The Dark Tower

Postby PFiDC » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:38 am

Honestly I prefer McConaughey for Roland because he can do the whole series and not just the first one.

eddy

The Dark Tower

Postby eddy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:57 am

that's true, but I have a feeling they'll find a way to incorporate him in more if he chooses the villian role. I have a few books that I want to get to first, but I'm thinking about rereading these again, maybe I'll check out Salems Lot first then jump in.

Dickie Dunn

The Dark Tower

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:58 am

I prefer any suggestion that involves Zoe Saldana.

PFiDC

The Dark Tower

Postby PFiDC » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:33 pm

that's true, but I have a feeling they'll find a way to incorporate him in more if he chooses the villian role. I have a few books that I want to get to first, but I'm thinking about rereading these again, maybe I'll check out Salems Lot first then jump in.
Reading Drawing of the Three and there is a lot of internal Man In Black moments for Roland. They could easily have the character appear on the beach to say these things to Roland. Dude just **** with the man...

eddy

The Dark Tower

Postby eddy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:25 pm

Whoa, Idris Elba frontrunner for Roland

AuthorTony

The Dark Tower

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:09 pm

Whoa, Idris Elba frontrunner for Roland
I could definitely get behind that.

shafnutz05

The Dark Tower

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:15 pm

Not saying I'd be totally against Idris Elba, but he better be damned convincing. And I'm a fan of his.

shafnutz05

The Dark Tower

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:47 am

After sleeping on the Idris Elba thing, I would absolutely hate this decision. Odetta/Detta is already a black character, and a great one at that, and a lot of the limited humor in the series is based on her interactions with Roland and Eddie. I really hope they don't take the PC route and give the role to a black actor--sorry, Roland is a white character through and through.

I love Idris Elba as an actor, but not in this role.

eddy

The Dark Tower

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:57 am

It's definitely an interesting choice. He's an awesome actor, but I didn't see coming. I think he can nail it, but it just feels different. Let's be honest, the story was going to probably get changed up regardless of who is in it.

Dickie Dunn

The Dark Tower

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:08 am

PFiDC

The Dark Tower

Postby PFiDC » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:20 am

My feeling is that Elba could absolutely CRUSH the role of Roland from an acting stand point. I think he would nail it. However, as Shaf mentioned, the Detta/Odetta/Susannah character is not just a black character but a black character who's story is heavily dependent upon her being black (the cab not picking her family up which leads to the brick, Oxford, etc.). Making Roland also black would diminish the story IMO. Yeah...that kinda sounds racist, but it's the truth. Roland is an awkward white dude from Mid-World.

Willie Kool

The Dark Tower

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:38 am

as Shaf mentioned, the Detta/Odetta/Susannah character is not just a black character but a black character who's story is heavily dependent upon her being black (the cab not picking her family up which leads to the brick, Oxford, etc.). Making Roland also black would diminish the story IMO. Yeah...that kinda sounds racist, but it's the truth. Roland is an awkward white dude from Mid-World.
Exactly.

eddy

The Dark Tower

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:39 am

My feeling is that Elba could absolutely CRUSH the role of Roland from an acting stand point. I think he would nail it. However, as Shaf mentioned, the Detta/Odetta/Susannah character is not just a black character but a black character who's story is heavily dependent upon her being black (the cab not picking her family up which leads to the brick, Oxford, etc.). Making Roland also black would diminish the story IMO. Yeah...that kinda sounds racist, but it's the truth. Roland is an awkward white dude from Mid-World.
I think because he is from a different world, what you said above won't matter too much.

AuthorTony

The Dark Tower

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:00 am

I think Elba could be a great Roland. I know it's against what all of us envisioned, but I really don't think there's any perfect choice out there. Roland was Clint Eastwood at 40ish. Anyone else is going to seem like an odd fit. While I can think of several actors who look the part, I think it's more important to cast a great actor in the role (after all, he's going to be carrying several films) than to go with someone who fits the part visually.

I also agree with eddy that Roland's world was different. Mid World was likely lacking in racism so he still wouldn't be able to identify with Detta's struggles in America.

PFiDC

The Dark Tower

Postby PFiDC » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:01 am

I think because he is from a different world, what you said above won't matter too much.
Disagree. There are plenty of instances where Roland has to struggle to really understand the racism of our world over his, especially in Do3. Sure, you could change the story, but that's a pretty big change.

As far as being from a different world; his world is not too much different from ours in a lot of aspects. I'm on Waste Lands now so I'll be getting into Roland's back story pretty soon (never read Wind Through The Keyhole but will after WaG) and I'll keep an eye on any mention of racism or bigotry from his childhood.

I just think the Detta/Odetta/Susannah story makes making Roland black a bad idea.

AuthorTony

The Dark Tower

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:16 am

I think a bigger issue casting-wise is going to be Jake. Most child actors suck and that character has some serious drama to contend with. Finding a boy that can pull it all off is going to be next to impossible.

Additionally, with there being so many films, the actors are all going to age 3-6 years over the course of filming. That's not a big deal for adults, but for Jake you're going to end up with a Carl from TWD issue where the little boy becomes and awkward teen over the course of the production. But it's important to the Dark Tower that Jake remain virtually the same age throughout.

Also, FWIW, I don't believe these movies are going to get made at all.

PFiDC

The Dark Tower

Postby PFiDC » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:41 am

Totally agree re: Jake. The only way to pull it off would be to use the TV series option.

Movies:
Gunslinger
Waste Lands
Wolves
Dark Tower

TV Series:
Drawing of the Three
Wizard and Glass
Song of Susannah

Preferably HBO would take the series. Hell, I'd prefer the entire thing to be an HBO series. Film it all concurrently and you can complete filming in 3 years.

eddy

The Dark Tower

Postby eddy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:42 pm

To me, the color of the gunslinger doesn't matter. What I care about is how fast he can draw...and that he takes care of the ka-tet.

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/ ... 6455227393

PFiDC

The Dark Tower

Postby PFiDC » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:44 pm

Here's the thing. Detta hates Roland and Eddie because they resemble (and therefore her crazy mind runs wild) the Honk Mahfahs she hates so much. If Roland is black you need to change the story.

Acting wise, Elba would kill it. Maybe that is most important, but I don't know if its worth it at the expense of the story.

Maybe they change Susannah to Hispanic...

PFiDC

The Dark Tower

Postby PFiDC » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:47 pm

Or Arab...