NTP66's thread of IT

RoMo21

dodint's thread of IT

Postby RoMo21 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:06 pm

This thread is disappointing, I was expecting this:

dodint

dodint's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:06 pm

Project Spartan looks exactly like you would expect a browser to look when it was made by the folks that designed Windows 8.

That said, it's quick and not horrible. The Hangouts Plugin doesn't work with it, but I'm using it for basic web browsing and it's pretty decent for a 0.1 release. Board renders as expected with it.

dodint

dodint's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:35 am

Someone passed this to me with no context. Any idea what it's for? The lighting and lexan tell me it's probably not anything enterprise related. I don't even know what it does.

http://i.imgur.com/1nhNNqz.jpg

columbia

dodint's thread of IT

Postby columbia » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:40 am

Unplug it and see if the network goes down.

dodint

dodint's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:29 am

It's probably an IRC server.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

dodint's thread of IT

Postby iamjs » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:30 pm

This thread is disappointing, I was expecting this:
It is what it is.

dodint

dodint's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:52 pm

Noticed my internet was choppy on all of my computers today. Went into the study to see what was up with the router. Turns out I was rearranging stuff the other day and set my router on the carpet. Derp. Thing was sizzling hot, surprised it's still chugging along.

iamjs

dodint's thread of IT

Postby iamjs » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:51 pm

My phone won't charge past 60% on any of my home chargers.

4 different cables (two of them being official Samsung cables), tried every damn outlet in my place and it makes no difference. I thought it would be my phone itself since I did put off changing the charger port in the phone, but it charges fine in my car. It charged up to 98% on the way to the gym today.

I don't see it being 4 bad cables.

eddy

dodint's thread of IT

Postby eddy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:57 pm

is there a phone thread? I got the Lollipop update over the weekend for my Note 4. I like everything I've discovered so far on it.

tifosi77

dodint's thread of IT

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:02 pm

4 different cables (two of them being official Samsung cables), tried every damn outlet in my place and it makes no difference. I thought it would be my phone itself since I did put off changing the charger port in the phone, but it charges fine in my car. It charged up to 98% on the way to the gym today.

Have you used the same AC adapter, or tried plugging the USB cables into a hub or PC?

Avyran

dodint's thread of IT

Postby Avyran » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:13 pm

I'm finding Flash absolutely incapable of playing any video now (but not always... only half the time :/ ). On youtube or anywhere. Yet, when I switch to HTML5..... the video stops at random points, returns to the beginning, & refuses to start unless I reload the page.

:scared:

iamjs

dodint's thread of IT

Postby iamjs » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:00 pm

Have you used the same AC adapter, or tried plugging the USB cables into a hub or PC?
Four different AC adapters (2 Samsung, 1 Belkin, and one with no name on it) along with the one-piece Samsung cable used for my Gear S.

Tried the cable from the PC. It charges very slowly. I could probably order a battery from Amazon, have it delivered Priority Mail, and by the time the ordered battery would arrive, the current battery still wouldn't be charged.

I have the charger port replacement piece sitting on my desk and the swap doesn't look like much of a challenge. I just don't want to **** up my phone since my day to day at the moment involves fielding a ton of different job offers. That still doesn't explain why it charges without problem in my car.Image

dodint

dodint's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:04 pm

Good lord.

http://www.csoonline.com/article/290613 ... oogle.html

If you have FTP enabled on your home router Google can/will index your files and publish the results.
Using a few simple Google searches, XSS discovered thousands of personal records and documents online.

The items discovered were deeply personal in some cases. There were business documents too; sensitive files that could cause regulatory problems, as well as files a competitor could use to gain an advantage. This is in addition to the files owned by government agencies and school corporations.

The files were exposed because someone used a misconfigured device acting as a personal cloud, or FTP (File Transfer Protocol) was enabled on their router. If FTP was enabled, the likely cause is accidental. Yet, there were cases where the setting was enabled intentionally, but the impact of such an action wasn't fully understood.

Sarcastic

dodint's thread of IT

Postby Sarcastic » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:22 pm

yay, google. I'm sure the gov already has a full copy.

Sarcastic

dodint's thread of IT

Postby Sarcastic » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:24 pm

For the record, I don't store anything on a cloud because I'm paranoid someone's going to look at it. Not that I have anything bad to hide, but still.... get the F away from my stuff.

dodint

dodint's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:29 pm

This isn't hybrid or community cloud, though. This is private storage with a misconfigured router.

Sarcastic

dodint's thread of IT

Postby Sarcastic » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:31 pm

This isn't hybrid or community cloud, though. This is private storage with a misconfigured router.
So normal folk are unaffected?

dodint

dodint's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:34 pm

Ignorance is bliss.

Sarcastic

dodint's thread of IT

Postby Sarcastic » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:36 pm

Ignorance is bliss.
Explain the cloud thing. Not everyone is a super duper computer wiz like you.

dodint

dodint's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:41 pm

I wasn't being snarky, sorry.

You asked if this affected 'normal' people. It only affects people that setup web facing private clouds incorrectly, or manually enabled FTP on their router which is atypical. It doesn't affect people that just plug in their router and never touch it again.

Sarcastic

dodint's thread of IT

Postby Sarcastic » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:49 pm

I wasn't being snarky, sorry.

You asked if this affected 'normal' people. It only affects people that setup web facing private clouds incorrectly, or manually enabled FTP on their router which is atypical. It doesn't affect people that just plug in their router and never touch it again.
Yeah, that's what the article says. So that's pretty screwed up. I remember I used to search private FTP's to look for mp3s and apps, and I used regular search engines but that was years ago. I'm new to this cloud thing myself, but it's a scary concept to me. Windows 8.1 has the OneDrive thing, but I don't dare to use it for serious storage.

dodint

dodint's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:11 am

I use OneDrive. I worry more about social engineering and physical security with that. The iCloud Fappening leak was just from people using easy to guess passwords. Like, 'password' or no password at all.

Sarcastic

dodint's thread of IT

Postby Sarcastic » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:15 am

I use OneDrive. I worry more about social engineering and physical security with that. The iCloud Fappening leak was just from people using easy to guess passwords. Like, 'password' or no password at all.
I get that, but I don't like the idea of storing personal stuff "out there" in general. Maybe to move from one thing to another, but never anything sensitive or long term. Call me paranoid, if you want.

tifosi77

dodint's thread of IT

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:05 pm

I remember reading that a large number of the affected people either didn't even realize their photos were being backed up to a cloud storage service (I guess it's an automatic feature on an iPhone?), or didn't know what cloud storage meant.

tifosi77

dodint's thread of IT

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:07 pm

The Google machine is completely taking over my life. I use Google Drive for cloud storage, all my photos get uploaded to Picasa (or whatever they call it now), all my mobile devices are Android.....