I need a ruling on this

Shyster

I need a ruling on this

Postby Shyster » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:42 pm

My recycling is collected by a truck that picks up and dumps the whole can. My garbage is collected by hand by a swamper , and only heathens put loose garbage in the curb can, so all of my garbage is in a bag. If someone throws in a separate bag, that means the swamper is going to have to separately reach into the can and separately pull out that poop bag. Only a ****** would make a swamper do that.

PFiDC

I need a ruling on this

Postby PFiDC » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:44 pm

I'm with Tif. Can at the curb before pickup (on the night before or the day of pickup only) is fair game.

Interesting note on trash cans:

When I was living in Lawrenceville we shared a duplex with another family. They were pretty terrible people. Fights so loud my kid would wake up. Police there constantly. 2 people OD'd right in front of my house. They also generated an INCREDIBLE amount of trash. They didn't have trash cans but I would guess it would have filled 5-6 cans a week. They just piled it on the side of the house. They did try and start using our trash cans which were kept on the same side of the house. Something didn't sit right with me about that so I moved our cans to our front porch. Good thing I did because the next time the police came they went searching through the trash and found heroin and needles. The police asked to search my trash cans and I told them no. They are on my porch and have nothing to do with that other family. Had they found those items in my trash can I was told (maybe one of our resident lawyers can chime in) that it would have been considered my possession.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

I need a ruling on this

Postby meow » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:46 pm

Tif no longer has dogs.
Oof. I knew that. My bad, buddy.

LeopardLetang

I need a ruling on this

Postby LeopardLetang » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:06 pm

has anyone else heard the word swamper before?

AuthorTony

I need a ruling on this

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:07 pm

Isn't putting your trash in someone else's can/dumpster a crime? Theft of services or something?

Kane

I need a ruling on this

Postby Kane » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:10 pm

has anyone else heard the word swamper before?
Sounds like a hairy dude on a humid day.

Shyster

I need a ruling on this

Postby Shyster » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:21 pm

I honestly forget where I first saw the term, but to be clear, "swamper" is the name for the guys who ride on the garbage trucks and collect the trash. For all I know, the name might very well come from the condition of their butts on a hot day.

robbiestoupe

I need a ruling on this

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:33 pm

I once had a guy scream at my wife and I for putting a used coffee cup in a large dumpster near his house. Thing was probably 15 cubic yards. Then I realized I was in Squirrel Hill and it all made sense.

PFiDC

I need a ruling on this

Postby PFiDC » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:38 pm

1) Its their job to empty the trash, is it not?
2) In the neighborhood where I work the trash collectors will only take bagged items. If there are any loose items in the can they wont take anything inside it whether its bagged or not (not sure they are allowed to do this)
3) In the neighborhood where I live the trash collectors dump the cans into the back of the truck so it doesn't matter if there are loose items. Once they turn a can upside down that's it. If there is anything left in there they just toss the can on the curb (or in the middle of the road if they're feeling frisky that day) and move on.

faftorial

I need a ruling on this

Postby faftorial » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:42 pm

The moron that lives downstairs from me throws away boxes but doesn't break them down first so half the can is filled with air. How can you be that dumb?

meow

I need a ruling on this

Postby meow » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:43 pm

He’s not dumb. He is lazy

faftorial

I need a ruling on this

Postby faftorial » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:48 pm

He’s not dumb. He is lazy
No, he's dumb.

shoeshine boy

I need a ruling on this

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:50 pm

My recycling is collected by a truck that picks up and dumps the whole can. My garbage is collected by hand by a swamper , and only heathens put loose garbage in the curb can, so all of my garbage is in a bag. If someone throws in a separate bag, that means the swamper is going to have to separately reach into the can and separately pull out that poop bag. Only a ****** would make a swamper do that.
where I live the recycling can is picked up by a sanitation worker and dumped into the truck. the garbage is picked up by the truck and dumped. the sanitation worker doesn't even get out of the truck.

tifosi77

I need a ruling on this

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:58 pm

Here, in the western world, the same types of trucks are used to pick up all three bins (trash, recycling, organics). They all grab the bin with the mechanical arm and do the ol' lift-and-dump. The only time a worker actually exits the truck if is you've arranged a large item pickup, or if the mechanical arm slings trash outside of the truck (which I've seen happen, and is kind of hilarious to see).

tifosi77

I need a ruling on this

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:59 pm

Isn't putting your trash in someone else's can/dumpster a crime? Theft of services or something?
I think it's defined differently depending on where you live; here I think it's called 'illegal dumping', or something similarly comedic. But if the bin are out on the street for pickup, they are fair game.

willeyeam

I need a ruling on this

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:14 pm

Here, in the western world, the same types of trucks are used to pick up all three bins (trash, recycling, organics). They all grab the bin with the mechanical arm and do the ol' lift-and-dump. The only time a worker actually exits the truck if is you've arranged a large item pickup, or if the mechanical arm slings trash outside of the truck (which I've seen happen, and is kind of hilarious to see).
Same. But in the booming Metropolis of Hermitage PA

nocera

I need a ruling on this

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:16 pm

The city of Pittsburgh still has people following the truck, grabbing the bins, and dumping them into the truck. Get your fancy robot arms out of here.

blackjack68

I need a ruling on this

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:31 pm

Same. But in the booming Metropolis of Hermitage PA
I have cousins from Hermitage. Always liked that area when I was a kid. They had a nice big yard backing to the woods.

Sugar Hollow Road if I recall.

willeyeam

I need a ruling on this

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:33 pm

That is indeed a place with woods upon googling. Was going to say Pine Hollow before I searched

shoeshine boy

I need a ruling on this

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:16 pm

The city of Pittsburgh still has people following the truck, grabbing the bins, and dumping them into the truck. Get your fancy robot arms out of here.

blackjack68

I need a ruling on this

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:43 pm

That is indeed a place with woods upon googling. Was going to say Pine Hollow before I searched
Just googled as well and there’s certainly been some development since I was last there.

shafnutz05

I need a ruling on this

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:07 am

Interesting that we are talking about trash disposal. I got a message from LNP (main Lancaster newspaper) yesterday asking about my opinion on the issues residents have had with our disposal company.

Essentially, they have been understaffed so several times this year already they've done the "trash and/or recycling pickup is canceled this week, we will do double pickup next week".

That's great. But not helpful when my can is already full, so the stuff in there is going to start reeking really bad and I have nowhere to put the second week's trash. Many others have had this issue.

@Faftorial, do you have that carrier too? If so, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

faftorial

I need a ruling on this

Postby faftorial » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:34 am

Interesting that we are talking about trash disposal. I got a message from LNP (main Lancaster newspaper) yesterday asking about my opinion on the issues residents have had with our disposal company.

Essentially, they have been understaffed so several times this year already they've done the "trash and/or recycling pickup is canceled this week, we will do double pickup next week".

That's great. But not helpful when my can is already full, so the stuff in there is going to start reeking really bad and I have nowhere to put the second week's trash. Many others have had this issue.
Faftorial, do you have that carrier too? If so, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.
My town pays a private company to do it and while they never miss weeks they are the typical "throw your can in the middle of the alley so the lid pops off and blows away" dadholes.

meow

I need a ruling on this

Postby meow » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:18 am

We have a city provided can and our truck has a fancy robot arm. Our driver has this hitch in the movement he does when he puts the can down that flips the lid closed. That man is a god damn professional if I’ve ever seen one.

skullman80

I need a ruling on this

Postby skullman80 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:54 am

We have a separate truck that comes around for trash and recycling, though both come on the same day (Monday). Garbage every week, Recycling ever other week.

They always seem to nicely place the cans down after they finish. They also take literally anything I have put out. No complaints at all.