I need a ruling on this

King Colby

I need a ruling on this

Postby King Colby » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:07 am

Nope.

willeyeam

I need a ruling on this

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:07 am

I don't respond to those. I actually had a CFO client tell me once to not even send the standard "thank you" email when he sends something over because he gets too many emails

King Colby

I need a ruling on this

Postby King Colby » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:09 am

Although the percentage of people that say "your" welcome disgusts me. There is a strong correlation with that and those that day "acrossed"

mikey

I need a ruling on this

Postby mikey » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:20 am

0% of all situations do I respond to that. "Thank you" is the cap of the conversation. You're welcome is just spam...

robbiestoupe

I need a ruling on this

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:21 am

I barely send the thank you emails, I embed it in the initial request

mikey

I need a ruling on this

Postby mikey » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:27 am

This too ^

MrKennethTKangaroo

I need a ruling on this

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:00 am

I think I might start thanking people on 5af for responding to my posts

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

I need a ruling on this

Postby meow » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:37 am

I think I might start thanking people on 5af for responding to my posts
**** you

MrKennethTKangaroo

I need a ruling on this

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:50 am

thank you

blackjack68

I need a ruling on this

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:00 am

“Your” welcome

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

I need a ruling on this

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:10 am

tyfys

robbiestoupe

I need a ruling on this

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:13 am

*robbiestoupe has left the chat*

Dickie Dunn

I need a ruling on this

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:20 am

Does listening to an audio book count as “reading” the book? Annoying, attention seeking, dunce of a co-worker spent the entirety of a team book club meeting claiming to have read over 100 books last year before admitting that all but one was an audiobook. Specifically because she’s an annoying wench who made the claim to show off how special she is I say it’s not reading a book, but how to apply this for people I don’t hate?

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

I need a ruling on this

Postby LITT » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:23 am

i count it as being read

MWB

I need a ruling on this

Postby MWB » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:27 am

Semantically, it should be she listened to it. But practically it’s the same as reading it.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

I need a ruling on this

Postby LITT » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:29 am

i consumed over 100 books last year

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

I need a ruling on this

Postby count2infinity » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:35 am

I've mentioned here before... I'm dyslexic. I do not read books. It's very difficult for me to sit down and read a book. I can read articles, I can read scientific papers, I can read e-mails mostly because they're short and I can take the time to read... reread... reread again just to make sure I have absorbed everything. A novel? Can't do it. I can, but it's hard work and thus not enjoyable. Listening to books? It might be the best invention ever. I can listen to a book no problem, enjoy it, and get everything out of it that was meant to get out of it.

That said, I'm not going around bragging about reading audiobooks because that's some psychopath non-sense.

dodint

I need a ruling on this

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:35 am

Semantically, it should be she listened to it. But practically it’s the same as reading it.
It's not, though. I can see DD's point.

When I read a book properly it has my undivided attention, inheriently. When you listen to an audiobook, you can do it while engaging in other tasks; your attention is split. Working out, driving, working at your job, watching kids, etc.

DD's book club member seems to be bragging about quantity, a book every three days or so. At the reading level attention to detail that dedication is very impressive. At the passive listening level of attention the achievement is greatly diminished. It sounds like she was trying to present herself as doing the former, but was sheepishly caught doing the latter when they pressed her a bit.

I like audiobooks, but I only listen to stuff like Dan Brown books because they"re not important and it doesn't matter if I am momentarily distracted. If I get distracted while reading a proper book it doesn't keep going without me. ;)
Last edited by dodint on Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

faftorial

I need a ruling on this

Postby faftorial » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:36 am

That said, I'm not going around bragging about reading audiobooks because that's some psychopath non-sense.
:thumb:

MrKennethTKangaroo

I need a ruling on this

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:42 am

I think a good (ok maybe not good) metaphor would be taking a complicated dish (i.e. jambalaya) and finding a recipe that strips out the hard/time consuming steps, but has the same basic structure, and calling it jambalaya. all the good stuff is there, but if you just throw the ingredients in a crock pot, is it really jambalaya?

MWB

I need a ruling on this

Postby MWB » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:03 am

When I read a book properly it has my undivided attention, inheriently. When you listen to an audiobook, you can do it while engaging in other tasks; your attention is split. Working out, driving, working at your job, watching kids, etc.

DD's book club member seems to be bragging about quantity, a book every three days or so. At the reading level attention to detail that dedication is very impressive. At the passive listening level of attention the achievement is greatly diminished. It sounds like she was trying to present herself as doing the former, but was sheepishly caught doing the latter when they pressed her a bit.

I like audiobooks, but I only listen to stuff like Dan Brown books because they"re not important and it doesn't matter if I am momentarily distracted. If I get distracted while reading a proper book it doesn't keep going without me. ;)
Yeah, makes sense, it's all about your engagement level. At the same time, you could keep "reading" a book and not really get the info, and instead of rereading you just move on. Maybe DD should give her a quiz on each book to find out how engaged she was.

Dickie Dunn

I need a ruling on this

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:04 am

i consumed over 100 books last year
Raw or did you cook them first to loosen up the fibers?

Dickie Dunn

I need a ruling on this

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:30 am

This is pretty much spot on. She’s a dunce. I like audio books for the exact reasons you list, but would never present myself as a voracious reader because I listened to all the Twilight books over a two week period.

Regardless, the club ended up deciding on a self-help book for this month’s read and I responded with “I find self-help books to be like having a second wife” so I’m pretty sure I’m not invited back. Still learning to navigate the emotions of corporate America I guess.

Troy Loney

I need a ruling on this

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:31 am

Reading is reading, listening is listening. They are different.

Audio books are great, it’s just not reading

shoeshine boy

I need a ruling on this

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:47 am

Does listening to an audio book count as “reading” the book? Annoying, attention seeking, dunce of a co-worker spent the entirety of a team book club meeting claiming to have read over 100 books last year before admitting that all but one was an audiobook.
what did she want, a cookie? :roll: