Investing, Stock Market and Retirement Planning Thread

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:33 am

Both the UK and Japan have slipped into a recession.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:05 am

Good thing we have Biden keeping us afloat

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:06 am

Thanks Biden...

Speaking of, I haven't heard much about the economy here in the US recently. I know there was the fight over whether we were in a recession or not and people arguing semantics about it, but I'm guessing we've come in for a soft landing and have recovered?

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:08 am

Weren't we in a recession (by definition) like 1.5 years ago

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:10 am

It has been a minor miracle that we have avoided recession and no one can really explain why there hasn’t been a recession. Consumers are anxious but still buying stuff. Incremental improvement to residential real estate. AI boom is kind of helping but electric vehicles ain’t saving the day at least not yet.

Maybes it’s all due to Biden’s cool headed logic??????

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:13 am

Yeah... that's what I'm talking about. I think by definition it was a recession, but it was very different from past recessions in that unemployment was low, jobs were still being created, stock market was still growing, etc. Either way, I haven't heard much in the last 6 or so months about it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:15 am

The latest inflation numbers are out, and it's up a little. Housing inflation is through the roof, by far the worst area.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:19 am

It's definitely not a great time at the moment. Luckily, it's not worse....
yet.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:21 am

My parents' first mortgage on the house they're still in today was over 14%. I want to say that was in the mid-late 80s?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:58 am

It has been a minor miracle that we have avoided recession and no one can really explain why there hasn’t been a recession. Consumers are anxious but still buying stuff. Incremental improvement to residential real estate. AI boom is kind of helping but electric vehicles ain’t saving the day at least not yet.

When’s the commercial real estate pain going to materialize?

I feel like that’s the balance sheet drop that hasn’t been fully realized yet. So there are a couple spots where banks are potentially holding some bad paper.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:04 am

The latest inflation numbers are out, and it's up a little. Housing inflation is through the roof, by far the worst area.
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/15/retail- ... 2024-.html

Seems like a good counter balance to some recent inflation news.

Saw some reports about companies like coke and p&g showing higher profits due to price increases. Eventually demand goes down with higher prices, so if we’re seeing that, then suppliers drop prices.

But of course everything is bad news in the eye of the beholder. But this report would support everything that the fed is trying to do with the interest rates (slow down the economy). Just that they call that “combatting inflation”.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:06 am

People's unwillingness to adjust their spending habits while companies continue to gouge them is incredible to me.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:09 am

I feel like that’s the balance sheet drop that hasn’t been fully realized yet. So there are a couple spots where banks are potentially holding some bad paper.
Shoes are finally starting to drop. I don’t know if you saw, but the grant building downtown is now in foreclosure. There’s a few others that are on the brink of foreclosure. Grant building is interesting because it’s a bit dated but still in a gr8 location right next to the courthouse.

There is going to be a ton of pain for commercial re but I don’t think this is going to cause a widespread recession like 2008.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:11 am

People's unwillingness to adjust their spending habits while companies continue to gouge them is incredible to me.
Yep. I don't drink a lot of soda, but Pepsi's price increases are absolutely insane. I refuse to buy it at normal price, and have waited for good sales to even consider it. Outside of standards like milk, eggs, etc., I will wait for a deal to buy things now out of pure spite.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:16 am

12 paks of coke zero products (cans) were 2 for 15.98$ today...that's like 8$ a case on sale....and that is supposed to be a deal? GTFO. My cutting down on pop is partially because I just need to, and also just because its so f'n expensive these days.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:18 am

Actually, I just remembered, my neighbor works for Pepsi and has offered to grab me stuff at his cost (which is dirt cheap), so I'll just do that from now on.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:19 am

12 paks of coke zero products (cans) were 2 for 15.98$ today...that's like 8$ a case on sale....and that is supposed to be a deal? GTFO. My cutting down on pop is partially because I just need to, and also just because its so f'n expensive these days.

Sounds like my switch to coffee couldn't happen at a better time lol

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:21 am

$1.50 hot dog combo still going strong at Costco, though, @dodint.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:39 am

Shoes are finally starting to drop. I don’t know if you saw, but the grant building downtown is now in foreclosure. There’s a few others that are on the brink of foreclosure. Grant building is interesting because it’s a bit dated but still in a gr8 location right next to the courthouse.

There is going to be a ton of pain for commercial re but I don’t think this is going to cause a widespread recession like 2008.
Other than that, I don’t see a looming problem. The labor market has tilted back to normalcy. I think all those ‘22 graduates that were greeted with high salaries are going to get brought back to earth. Seeing a lot of layoffs again, but again, that just correcting the over hiring.

I think as long as the us government can just throw money at shock events and keep rising inflation somewhat in check, I don’t think a crash is likely.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:09 am

I've noticed a lot of our food prices have been creeping up. Milk up $1 a gallon from the fall is probably the biggest jump, but lots of produce creeping up a few cents here and there per pound.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:36 pm

This. 1000% this.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:16 pm

I'm one of them. I buy what i want but I don't have to be happy about it

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:44 pm

I habitually spend $200 a week on groceries. Ain’t no frivolous way to get that down. Thanks Biden

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:04 pm

Not that anyplace is cheap, but except for occasional onesie-twosie things we quit Giant Eagle. I don't like the Walmart experience, and Aldi's produce is hit and miss but we can't afford the Big Bird.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:51 pm

I hit Aldi first and whatever I can’t get there it’s big bird. I splurge on meats at a butcher and occasionally Sam’s club, but I didn’t even figure those two into the $200