Investing, Stock Market and Retirement Planning Thread

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed May 19, 2021 11:21 am

i don't understand how anyone values bitcoin, i don't understand how a currency that fluctuates so much can ever or should ever be used as a currency, and because of that I don't know how it could really be worth too much. that said I just bought some at 36,800
my guess is that as BTC, ETH and other top cryptos mature, they'll become less volatile. Maybe not, idk. I'd be interested to see BTC's volatility over time. It seems like it's more volatile now than it was when it first started which doesn't support my point at all, but I'm guessing 10 years from now it'll be more stable. Maybe. idk

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed May 19, 2021 11:28 am

hm ok found this which seems to support what I'm saying

https://www.buybitcoinworldwide.com/volatility-index/

looks like the volatility index has been going down since BTC's creation

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed May 19, 2021 11:36 am

i don't understand how anyone values bitcoin, i don't understand how a currency that fluctuates so much can ever or should ever be used as a currency, and because of that I don't know how it could really be worth too much. that said I just bought some at 36,800
my guess is that as BTC, ETH and other top cryptos mature, they'll become less volatile. Maybe not, idk. I'd be interested to see BTC's volatility over time. It seems like it's more volatile now than it was when it first started which doesn't support my point at all, but I'm guessing 10 years from now it'll be more stable. Maybe. idk
Perhaps once they're all mined? Idk. Are they all mined? I threw a hundo at ethereum on a whim in 2017. I don't plan on selling it for a long long time.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed May 19, 2021 11:42 am

Perhaps once they're all mined? Idk. Are they all mined? I threw a hundo at ethereum on a whim in 2017. I don't plan on selling it for a long long time.
apparently 18.5 million have been mined and there are a total of 21 million; so there are 2.5 million left: https://www.buybitcoinworldwide.com/how ... are-there/

I would guess that when they're all mined there will be a little less volatility but I dont know anyone really knows

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed May 19, 2021 11:45 am

lol ****

https://www.investopedia.com/tech/what- ... ear%202140.
The reward will continue to halve every four years until the final bitcoin has been mined. In actuality, the final bitcoin is unlikely to be mined until around the year 2140. However, it's possible that the Bitcoin network protocol will be changed between now and then.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed May 19, 2021 11:57 am

lol I didn't know about this but apparently Russell Okung has part of his salary paid in bitcoin

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed May 19, 2021 1:09 pm

i am up 10% on my BTC, this is even better than FUBO

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed May 19, 2021 1:23 pm

It would be nice if Musk just quit tweeting dumb things about crypto and if people just ignored almost everything he says and does

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed May 19, 2021 2:35 pm

Why no one can buy a new GPU:

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed May 19, 2021 4:00 pm

BTC went down because of some old news about China not accepting it, again, from like five years ago...it's all gibberish. All the smart people (like me) went all Supermarket Sweep on it this morning, while everyone else was just jamming jagged objects in their A-hos...

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed May 19, 2021 5:31 pm

If you stick spiky objects in your Sebastian Aho you're gonna have a bad time

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu May 20, 2021 9:06 am

Love my crypto. Bug crypto guy now

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu May 20, 2021 10:28 am

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu May 20, 2021 10:31 am

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu May 20, 2021 10:35 am

I feel attacked

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 21, 2021 7:00 am

Just paid my mortgage, and I think I need to revisit my decision to throw more at the principal as opposed to simply investing that money [in index funds, not stocks].

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 21, 2021 8:21 am

Mna, this is a no brainer. If I cut my extra principal payment in half and invest that half, assuming I earn 5% on that money, I'll have 74% more money than what I'd pay in interest over the life of the loan. And it looks like it'll only really add 2 years to the loan.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Fri May 21, 2021 8:36 am

Math doesn't take risk into the equation. Pay it off and then the entire amount goes for investing. I know what you'll do, but it's a no brainer to kick the mortgage to the curb ASAP.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 21, 2021 8:45 am

That's how I've always felt, but man, this is a 2.375%, 15-year mortgage. You did, however, remind me that I didn't bother to calculate the gains from being able to put the full mortgage payment towards my brokerage account once it's paid off. That sealed it for me, so I guess I'll be staying the course.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Fri May 21, 2021 8:50 am

That's how I've always felt, but man, this is a 2.375%, 15-year mortgage. You did, however, remind me that I didn't bother to calculate the gains from being able to put the full mortgage payment towards my brokerage account once it's paid off. That sealed it for me, so I guess I'll be staying the course.
:fist:

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri May 21, 2021 10:27 am

You have to figure money invested now will grow the whole time, so even if you put more money in later, you may still make more money by investing now.

Then you also have to figure in the investment of the house itself. The house will most likely appreciate, so if you end up selling before you pay it off, you'll get more money in your pocket

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 21, 2021 10:45 am

You have to figure money invested now will grow the whole time, so even if you put more money in later, you may still make more money by investing now.

Then you also have to figure in the investment of the house itself. The house will most likely appreciate, so if you end up selling before you pay it off, you'll get more money in your pocket
No plans to sell until the mortgage is completely paid off, but yeah, I created a spreadsheet to work all of the numbers. Unless some crazy **** happens, it does seem like paying it off and then throwing all of that money into my brokerage account when it's done will pay off better.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri May 21, 2021 11:23 am

No plans to sell until the mortgage is completely paid off, but yeah, I created a spreadsheet to work all of the numbers. Unless some crazy **** happens, it does seem like paying it off and then throwing all of that money into my brokerage account when it's done will pay off better.
:thumb:

I did something similar and believe came to the same conclusion. Add in the fact my house probably went up 15% in the past year, 30% since I bought 6 years ago, it's a no brainer.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri May 21, 2021 12:03 pm

Go F, go!

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri May 21, 2021 1:17 pm

Nice, Dodint...

my ABML play is looking great at the moment...