Unpopular Opinions Thread

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:01 pm

My dad used to work a big air brake company and they had partnerships with companies all over the world. As such, Dad frequently brought home Japanese guests sometimes, they would take us out to eat at places this meat and potatoes kid never imagined were a thing. Learned to use chopsticks at 10 or so and still have a fondness for eating with them.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:04 pm

Sure and to be clear, unlike some of my things in this thread (like people's disgusting relationship with cheese) I don't disrespect anyone who uses/likes chopsticks...I can appreciate that you like that because it comes with the experience...it's just a silly thing to me. But I'd respect it in the same way that I respect someone who can read/write Latin or Sanskrit...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:09 pm

In mikeyworld, using to small wooden sticks to pick up food deserves the same amount of respect as someone who can read ancient languages

Jim

Postby Jim » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:11 pm

I can use chopsticks, with either hand actually, but why?

Argument 1:
When it gets cold I could just wrap up in animal pelts, but we have clothes now ... and furnaces.
I could start a fire to cook my dinner over, but the range top, or the microwave. (or even a propane bbq, or grill, or one of those auger pellet things, as opposed to in a hole burning branches)
I could walk to Giant Eagle, or ride a horse (which I don't actually own, just an example of advancement), but I got this new fangled thig called a car, so I drive.
I actually remember a store in the Southside where you would go and buy live chicken to bring home, kill, clean and cook for dinner. That store isn't there anymore.
These things are unnecessary, obsolete. Like chopsticks.

Argument 2 (Which I do not actually care about):
Isn't that cultural appropriation, which is a horrible thing to do? A girl wears an Asian inspired dress to her prom and she gets crucified online for cultural appropriation, but it's okay to use chopsticks? Where is the line? Shoes? Yes? No? Kimono? Oh, no. What is I hand my business card to someone with both hands? Is it only clothes? You can do everything else related to a culture except dress like them?

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:13 pm

Haha yeah, you chose something with a very narrow utility that the world has long evolved passed...you deserve props for the skill of it, but I'm not gonna sit around and wish I knew how to do that...

That same person could also probably go to a vocational school and learn to be an answering machine repairman...

meow

Postby meow » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:15 pm

Listen. I’m not going to sit here and have the eating utensil I use once every 90 meals slandered in such a way.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:22 pm

who said they are obsolete?

Jim

Postby Jim » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:23 pm

Haha yeah, you chose something with a very narrow utility that the world has long evolved passed...you deserve props for the skill of it, but I'm not gonna sit around and wish I knew how to do that...

That same person could also probably go to a vocational school and learn to be an answering machine repairman...

I also find that most white folk that use chopsticks are very pretentious about it. Kind of like the looking down on us posts the last page when they assumed that I don't like chopsticks because I can not use chopsticks. Like there would be no other reason for not liking them.

Jim

Postby Jim » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:24 pm

who said they are obsolete?
I did. Because they are.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:25 pm

The notion that chopsticks are obsolete is the best part of the take. And by best, I mean worst.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:51 pm

I just use my hands. Much like a baby and a bowl of spaghetti. Gets the job done and I get to really experience the food.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:07 pm

My dad used to work a big air brake company and they had partnerships with companies all over the world. As such, Dad frequently brought home Japanese guests sometimes, they would take us out to eat at places this meat and potatoes kid never imagined were a thing. Learned to use chopsticks at 10 or so and still have a fondness for eating with them.
A certain company in Wilmerding? I work at said company ;)

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:13 pm

You mean ZedEff? :slug:

Jim

Postby Jim » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:39 pm

The notion that chopsticks are obsolete is the best part of the take. And by best, I mean worst.

How are they not obsolete? Because they are used? That doesn't make it less of a true statement.

I was going to compare them to records, but records at least have an actual different sound, vs digital, that is measurable and not just lesser. So while an obsolete medium, they offer something.

Maybe neck ties? No, those aren't replaced by anything, they are just pointless.

Printing photographs on paper and putting them in albums?

I am having trouble coming up with obsolete things, like chopsticks, that people still use. VCRs aren't used. Home phone lines, but that is still hardwired (literally) to people's homes. Candles, but people don't really use them for light, just mood. Manual transmissions if you don't tow anything, or literally race.

I do like to print things and work out problems on paper.

I don't know... chopsticks might take the top of the hill in the obsolete but still used category.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:45 pm

phpBB

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:15 pm

You mean ZedEff? :slug:
In Wilmerding, yes. Not by that name though.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:07 pm

I used to be in disk brake and brake adjusters at Haldex

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:34 pm

Eating with chopsticks is much more precise. I don't know when I learned how to use them. I don't remember not being able to use them. I use them for a lot of meals that aren't asian.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:41 pm

Great.

I am always looking for more precision from my utensils.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:42 pm

Savage

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:44 pm

I used to be in disk brake and brake adjusters at Haldex
Would you like to work at Haldex?

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:15 am

I enjoyed my time there. I was just amazed at the it’s a small world moment with blackjack & robbie. Air brake is a small industry but it seems like you often run into people.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:56 am

I enjoyed my time there. I was just amazed at the it’s a small world moment with blackjack & robbie. Air brake is a small industry but it seems like you often run into people.
Not so much a small world anymore. Fortune 500 n'at. Although it's also much much more than just air brakes right now

We have a pretty big service center in KC.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:35 am

It was called Westinghouse Air Brake Co (WABCO) when my Dad worked there.

He was selected to fly to Morocco to work on King Hassan’s train back in the late 70s or early 80s. Can’t recall.

meow

Postby meow » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:02 am

Eating with chopsticks is much more precise.
I’m on your side, but this ain’t helping our argument, bro.