Politics And Current Events

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed May 12, 2021 11:41 am

I'd love. Looooooooooove, to trade in my job for a no-pressure food service gig if they're willing to pay me my current wage. :lol:

Full on Lester Burnham.
Legit asking, have you ever worked in food service?
Yup. For several years.

If you're going to tell me the pressure of food service is on par with the rest of my resume, good luck.
It's not great work, for the money, but in this fantasy land I'm making six figures and my biggest annoyance is customers that plant their own hair in the food to try and get it for free.
The work can be challenging but the stakes are low.
:thumb:

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed May 12, 2021 11:42 am

Im kinda sick of "what are small businesses gonna do!?"

If you can't pay a living wage don't hire a staff or don't start a business.
So basically only soulless multi-national corporations have the right to exist?

Business isn't charity.
Yeah that's exactly what I said :roll:

If one cant afford something they shouldn't do/buy it
I've learned in here it should be given to them for free.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed May 12, 2021 11:43 am

NAN and Freddy do a really good job of just completely bastardizing points people try to make ITT

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed May 12, 2021 11:44 am

I'd love. Looooooooooove, to trade in my job for a no-pressure food service gig if they're willing to pay me my current wage. :lol:

Full on Lester Burnham.
Yup. For several years.

If you're going to tell me the pressure of food service is on par with the rest of my resume, good luck.
It's not great work, for the money, but in this fantasy land I'm making six figures and my biggest annoyance is customers that plant their own hair in the food to try and get it for free.
Not where I was going with it at all.

I know people who have never worked in food service talk about it like its just easy peasy. You know what its like so you can make the informed statement.
Yeah, no, that's not me. I have a healthy respect for people that do food service well. I guess what I was trying to convey is that it's a job where at the end of the shift you take the apron off and you don't have to thing about it at all again until you put the apron back on. That's the Lester Burnham vibe. It's not exclusive to food service. My Dad was a career corrections officer and carried that mindset with him, when he took the uniform off he just mentally clocked out. I can't do that with my current gigs, I spend a lot of 'off-time' still mulling over things in my head when I should be relaxing.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed May 12, 2021 11:44 am

There's this weird deep seated notion in some people that if it wasn't like that for them then it shouldn't be like that for anybody in the future. Free tuition, living wage, loan forgiveness, healthcare, etc. I understand that some people have had a rough go, but I don't understand wanting everybody to struggle as you did.
Last edited by nocera on Wed May 12, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed May 12, 2021 11:45 am

NAN and Freddy do a really good job of just completely bastardizing points people try to make ITT
Guess you just want an echo echo echo

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 12, 2021 11:48 am

Source of the post There's this weird deep seated notion in some people that if it wasn't like that for them then it shouldn't be like that for anybody in the future.
I paid for my own schooling. Would love to see current students have their loans wiped out, and free tuition implemented. Only some kind of dadhole hopes others struggle just because they did.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed May 12, 2021 11:48 am

Full on Lester Burnham.
Yup. For several years.

Not where I was going with it at all.

I know people who have never worked in food service talk about it like its just easy peasy. You know what its like so you can make the informed statement.
Yeah, no, that's not me. I have a healthy respect for people that do food service well. I guess what I was trying to convey is that it's a job where at the end of the shift you take the apron off and you don't have to thing about it at all again until you put the apron back on. That's the Lester Burnham vibe. It's not exclusive to food service. My Dad was a career corrections officer and carried that mindset with him, when he took the uniform off he just mentally clocked out. I can't do that with my current gigs, I spend a lot of 'off-time' still mulling over things in my head when I should be relaxing.
Easier said than done, I know, but that sounds like a problem with your mindset. I'm sure my job is not even close to the level of "importance" of yours, but I've been much happier since I learned to keep my work and personal life extremely separated. I don't even look at emails/messages when I'm not on the clock. I will respond first thing in the morning but no way in hell am I doing anything on my personal time.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed May 12, 2021 11:48 am

No, I just want to be able to have a good faith discussion instead of you dinguses coming in here with "Oh lefties just want free stuff" or "Lefties must only want big companies to be successful" bullshit.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed May 12, 2021 11:49 am

Hmmmmmm I feel like socialized healthcare would save small businesses enough money to meet the pay demand.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed May 12, 2021 11:52 am

How about you shut the fudge up and give me gas

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed May 12, 2021 11:54 am

Easier said than done, I know, but that sounds like a problem with your mindset. I'm sure my job is not even close to the level of "importance" of yours, but I've been much happier since I learned to keep my work and personal life extremely separated. I don't even look at emails/messages when I'm not on the clock. I will respond first thing in the morning but no way in hell am I doing anything on my personal time.
Unfortunately that's not a reality for some jobs, especially as you work your way up the chain. There are decisions that need made quickly and information and input need provided just as fast. There are also people looking to you and coming to you constantly. And if the wrong decision is made that could mean people jobs and lively hood. Or for doctors, lawyers, etc, someone's freedom or life.

That's why those individuals are highly compensated.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed May 12, 2021 11:56 am

Source of the post There's this weird deep seated notion in some people that if it wasn't like that for them then it shouldn't be like that for anybody in the future.
I paid for my own schooling. Would love to see current students have their loans wiped out, and free tuition implemented. Only some kind of dadhole hopes others struggle just because they did.
Consider me a dadhole. I think it builds character and allows people to appreciate the fruits of their labor. I don't think anyone should struggle to a crippling degree, but to just pass out **** so everyone is happy is garbage imo.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed May 12, 2021 11:57 am

Unfortunately that's not a reality for some jobs, especially as you work your way up the chain. There are decisions that need made quickly and information and input need provided just as fast. There are also people looking to you and coming to you constantly. And if the wrong decision is made that could mean people jobs and lively hood. Or for doctors, lawyers, etc, someone's freedom or life.

I definitely understand why this is easier for a video editor than a doctor. For most situations, however, these decisions are not life and death or livelihood. Failing to separate work and personal life is an American problem. I would love to see a shift to a healthier mindset.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 12, 2021 11:57 am

Consider me a dadhole. I think it builds character and allows people to appreciate the fruits of their labor. I don't think anyone should struggle to a crippling degree, but to just pass out **** so everyone is happy is garbage imo.
Builds character? Shut up, grandpa.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed May 12, 2021 11:58 am

The hatred shown to the working poor by the lower middle class is fascinating. I've been reading countless outraged comments from people regarding Chipotle moving their starting pay to $15 an hour. These folks are downright livid that kids with no skills are going to be making close to the same wages as they make at their real jobs. They are 100% convinced that service industry jobs making $15 an hour is the downfall of America and that it will convince skilled and educated workers to abandon their careers since they can make "just as much flipping burgers." Oh, and now a burrito is going to cost $20.
Theyre not going to hire kids. If you're investing more time and money into your staff, why would you want some fledgling 17 year old for 3 months?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed May 12, 2021 11:59 am

I definitely understand why this is easier for a video editor than a doctor. For most situations, however, these decisions are not life and death or livelihood. Failing to separate work and personal life is an American problem. I would love to see a shift to a healthier mindset.

<insert tweet that was shared in the jobs thread about European workers getting mandatory month-long summer vacations>

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed May 12, 2021 11:59 am

There are plenty of reasons to not forgive student debt but building character is the worst one I've heard

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed May 12, 2021 11:59 am

The hatred shown to the working poor by the lower middle class is fascinating. I've been reading countless outraged comments from people regarding Chipotle moving their starting pay to $15 an hour. These folks are downright livid that kids with no skills are going to be making close to the same wages as they make at their real jobs. They are 100% convinced that service industry jobs making $15 an hour is the downfall of America and that it will convince skilled and educated workers to abandon their careers since they can make "just as much flipping burgers." Oh, and now a burrito is going to cost $20.
Theyre not going to hire kids. If you're investing more time and money into your staff, why would you want some fledgling 17 year old for 3 months?
I know. I'm sharing the thoughts of the local mob.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed May 12, 2021 12:00 pm

my office has it's own fuel station that gets regular deliveries. we just had 1000 gallons (tank is 2200) delivered. there is no gas shortage except the one created by panic buyers.
at least we can get to the grocery store to buy toilet paper. :slug:

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed May 12, 2021 12:00 pm

I legitimately thought it was deep seeded not deep seated so today I learnt.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed May 12, 2021 12:01 pm

Bullshit, NAN. This isn't about everyone "being happy". It's making education affordable, since any "real" job requires a degree.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 12, 2021 12:03 pm

That's the graph I was looking for. Student debt is nothing short of crippling for damn near everyone.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed May 12, 2021 12:05 pm

Builds character? Shut up, grandpa.
Hey, whatever. We make sure our kids do chores, etc before they get any toys or items they want from Target to show that life isn't some giant handout. Both my daughters are learning hwo to spend their money they earn, and if they do a really good job they get something extra. I'd rather them learn that and have that mindset than just sitting around hoping for some handout to pull them out.

And before the shemnguins of the world come in, yes, there are always exceptions and cases that should be looked at to help people really in trouble. But because some art major spent $300K on a college education and can't pay it off, woops.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed May 12, 2021 12:05 pm

So basically only soulless multi-national corporations have the right to exist?

Business isn't charity.
Yeah that's exactly what I said :roll:

If one cant afford something they shouldn't do/buy it
Most mom and pop small businesses, especially restaurants, run on razor-thin margins, and are usually already semi-owned by the bank via rolling loans to pay for stock. They also aren't wealthy people sucking up profit for themselves hanging out at the country club twirling their mustaches.

You think the guy from New Delhi who owns the local independent dry cleaner can afford a $15/hr wage? And if he doesn't he "shouldn't" open a business?

"Just pay people more or you don't deserve to be in business" is irrational. You can't just do that when you run a company, especially if the government is forcing you to and hope to stay open with raising prices.

The only companies that can afford to do that is Darden, Walmart, and their ilk.