Politics And Current Events

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:39 am

Bill would make daylight saving time permanent in Pennsylvania
https://triblive.com/news/pennsylvania/ ... nsylvania/

I'm all for it except I'd rather it be at a national level.
Some monster in that article has a competing bill that would keep us on standard time forever. Goodbye to evening sunlight because someone needs to think of the children at the bus stop.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:43 am

Source of the post Or people don't realize something is wrong with themselves.
Big yep. My anxious thing is cuticle picking and nail chewing. Like pick my thumb cuticles down until they're bleeding. Chomp off fingernails to the point of pain. I know it's a form of self harm now, and I've recognized that it increases when I'm stressed and anxious, but when I was younger (high school/college) I would do it then too. The number of arm chair psychologists that told me "Ohh, that's just because you're really smart and have an overactive brain" were through the roof. Now that I've done some reading, and recognize it for what it is I'm more alerted to my anxiety levels and can do some breathing, walking, meditation to try and do some self fixing rather than hurt myself.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:51 am

I wish we could focus on or discuss the stigma against mental health care in this country, especially for lower income or rural people.

If this guy was sex addicted, why can't he get mental health treatment instead of shooting up two massage parlors? Why is that the end result of most of our mass shootings? The dude at Ft. Hood was a terrorist, and I'm sure there are others, but more than a few could've been averted had mental health care been accessible without the stigma for being only for "crazy" people.
Yup, mental health is a huge issue with a huge PR problem. I think the pandemic may help some with it, in terms of how it's viewed, but probably not to a long-term extent. Maybe though. No one wants to be seen as "weak" though.
It isn't the case for everyone, but a lot of times, people don't realize there is something wrong with a persons mental state until after the fact too (assuming they snap). It's definitely a complex issue that needs more attention though.
Agree, and I think it's partly because people don't think they have mental health issues until they've crossed a certain clinical threshold. Like if you aren't diagnosed with OCD/Generalized Depression/Anxiety disorder/Bipolar/etc you think that your problems are just circumstantial and aren't bad *enough* to warrant the official status of "mental illness". And worse yet, people around you will dismiss your problems until you get that diagnosis. It's all a bunch of gaslighting - from others AND yourself. So people like this shooter may think...it's not MEEEEE. I'm not "sick". it's everything else that's the issue.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:54 am

https://apnews.com/article/asian-americ ... 944ad2c661

Appears Asian American community is trying to circle the wagons.
For the past several weeks, Asian Americans have questioned how to deal with a recent wave of assaults — many on the elderly — that have coincided with the pandemic. The virus was first identified in China, and former President Donald Trump and others have used racial terms to describe it.

Numerous Asian American organizations say Trump’s rhetoric has emboldened people to express anti-Asian or anti-immigrant views. Nearly 3,800 incidents have been reported to Stop AAPI Hate, a California-based reporting center for Asian American Pacific Islanders, and its partner groups, since March 2020. Nationally, women reported hate crimes 2.3 times more than men.

Following the release Wednesday of a report showing a surge in white supremacist propaganda in 2020, the Anti-Defamation League told The Associated Press that a significant amount of the propaganda included anti-immigrant rhetoric.

The anti-hate group said 10% of propaganda descriptions in its inventory contained negative references to immigration, multiculturalism or diversity. The 522 physical flyers, stickers or banners included the use of words such as “invasion, deport, disease, illegal, infection and virus,” the ADL said.

There were also seven propaganda incidents with direct anti-China references to COVID-19.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:00 am

One thing that I appreciate is Biden vowing to actually address the problem, not the symptom. Now, I'm well aware it might be lip service and may mean nothing, but he's saying the right thing. We have an issue at the border because there are issues in central america that need addressed. The border influx is a symptom, not the problem.
Border Paradox: Lots of kids. You either warehouse them for longer than is comfortable while you slowly improve facilities or you reduce the vetting for the "foster" homes which leads to incidents of de facto child slavery. There's no right answer, so like you say - the other countries are the issue. Not whichever direction Biden goes to solve the unsolvable.

But...kids aren't getting kidnapped by ICE anymore. This is an improvement.

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:12 am

One thing that I appreciate is Biden vowing to actually address the problem, not the symptom. Now, I'm well aware it might be lip service and may mean nothing, but he's saying the right thing. We have an issue at the border because there are issues in central america that need addressed. The border influx is a symptom, not the problem.
I am not sure what you can do except stage coup d'etats or occupy the whole area. Sure, you can throw a lot of money on it, but I think the corruption is too large to reach the poor and restore order...

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:16 am

I still think Europe is encouraging trafficking/smuggling of people along dangerous routes by allowing people to seek asylum if they reach the shores. I would much rather prefer sending money to UN camps, and let UN (or similar authority) decide which people that should come to Europe. That should increase the chances for the ones that really are in the most trouble...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:38 pm

Anyone paying attention: Seems to be a problem with anti-Asian violence.

GOP: Black people LOL

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:51 pm

Lololol
Replace 'Democratic donors' with 'Americans, generally' and there you go.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:54 pm

"Hey we should take the attacks against Asians seriously. Let me use a local yokel saying about horse thieves for clicks."

Galaxy Brain Rupar: "He's glorifying lynching!".

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:58 pm

Freddy: black people lol

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:59 pm

Yes, when I think of justice, the first thing I think about is the history of extrajudicial murder of black people

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:01 pm

Attacks against people of Asian descent are up Europe. But ya know Trump because...

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:06 pm

"Hey we should take the attacks against Asians seriously. Let me use a local yokel saying about horse thieves for clicks."

He was born in Maryland, raised in Virginia, and was an undergrad at UVA, so probably not part of his yokel vernacular.

He also said we should take the attack seriously, but made sure to include other attacks, like those by boarder crossers and protesters. It was a well-targeted statement denouncing attacks on Asians while also denouncing other people of color.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:18 pm

He was born in Maryland, raised in Virginia, and was an undergrad at UVA, so probably not part of his yokel vernacular.

He also said we should take the attack seriously, but made sure to include other attacks, like those by boarder crossers and protesters. It was a well-targeted statement denouncing attacks on Asians while also denouncing other people of color.
He's a congressman from Texas appealing to local tv snippets for a district that is over 30% Hispanic in central Texas and he went to law school at UT-Austin. Where he went to undergrad is irrelevant to the dog-and-pony show.

Aaron Rupar is basically the Jesse Watters of Vox.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:22 pm

I don't really care where the lesser Chip from Texas went to school or where he was raised. He's literally describing lynching, and apparently doing so wistfully. At best, that's extremely weird.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:22 pm

Freddy: black people lol

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:23 pm

Why is it so hard for a specific group of politicians to quit using phrases associated with lynching?

Show of hands, how often do people on this board use phrases associated with hanging people lol?

My parents are yinzers and used to say yinz. They don’t say it anymore because they made a conscious effort not to say yinz. Cant these idiots do the same thing? Then the Rupars of the world will have nothing to talk about. It’s like they are consciously using these phrases

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:26 pm

I don't really care where the lesser Chip from Texas went to school or where he was raised. He's literally describing lynching, and apparently doing so wistfully. At best, that's extremely weird.
This. Who cares who he is or why he's saying it? That's not the point.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:27 pm

Why is it so hard for a specific group of politicians to quit using phrases associated with lynching?

Show of hands, how often do people on this board use phrases associated with hanging people lol?

My parents are yinzers and used to say yinz. They don’t say it anymore because they made a conscious effort not to say yinz. Cant these idiots do the same thing? Then the Rupars of the world will have nothing to talk about. It’s like they are consciously using these phrases
is "yinzer" offensive?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:33 pm

I spent my junior year of high school de-yinzering myself. Stopped using colloquial lingo, developed a non-regional accent, etc. Not because I thought any of it was offensive, but because I felt I sounded like a yokel, and I had aims of a life beyond the 4 walls of central PA.

However, with the emergence of the Pat McAffee Show, I find myself slipping back into my old ways more and more, much to the amusement of Mrs Tif.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:34 pm

is "yinzer" offensive?
Haha of course not. But they decided not to say it and consciously changed their behavior. Not that hard to quit using lunching phrases either

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:35 pm

Attacks against people of Asian descent are up Europe. But ya know Trump because...
ah yes, the christ church NZ shooting was also completely unrelated to the rise of far right populism in america too

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:11 pm

In other news, Rand Paul is still a clown:

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:25 pm

if you take away the "theater" accusation, these are actually important questions, and like clockwork - Fauci isn't shooting straight.

first he says we have no re-infections because the variants aren't here. 4 minutes later the variants are spreading through NYC and California?

both guys are speaking in code. paul is ramping up the MAGA with the "theater" business and Fauci isn't saying the actual deal..."ya know what - you're probably right and this mask is probably doing bupkis. but what we do is tell people the worst case to make them overcautious because we can't trust them to behave".

...i think paul has a point about how promoting post-vaccination mask wearing so assertively reduces faith in the vaccine.