Politics And Current Events

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue May 18, 2021 1:30 pm

is "being dumb" a valid legal defense?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue May 18, 2021 1:31 pm

I am definitely laughing, it's obviously true. It's dudes with internet brain damage.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 18, 2021 1:31 pm

Pieces of ****, all of them.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 18, 2021 1:32 pm

This tweet fits in with that nicely:

I'd laugh if it wasn't so goddamn sad.
They’re all mental patients...except the successful business owners and countless otherwise functional insurrectionists.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue May 18, 2021 1:34 pm

Very fine people on both sides...

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Tue May 18, 2021 1:34 pm

Some day soon, likely in 2022 some time around early November, Marjorie Taylor Greene will be made irrelevant again.
she's going to be the nominee in 2024 :pop:

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 18, 2021 1:37 pm

I am definitely laughing, it's obviously true. It's dudes with internet brain damage.
I think the shaman, for example, has very little to do with the crowd at large. There were people who feel like they were invited to a party, and showed up for a good time. There were others who did get caught up in things not understanding just how much law they were breaking. And then there’s the cosplay people who wanted to go murder Pelosi and AOC because they’re enemies.

I think the middle bucket of bandwagoners is the biggest portion, and the shaman persona the smallest. But it’s not all just radicalized wee brains. There’s people who knowingly shot their shot.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue May 18, 2021 1:43 pm

If we want to just rejoice in calamity, it would be fun to watch the gop win the house and just impeach Biden like 4 times before 2024.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 18, 2021 1:44 pm

I'm traveling to southeastern South Dakota with the intent of camping in Badlands Natty Park in July but started doing a lot of research around local American Indian tribes as that area is rife with history (Sioux/Lakota tribes, Wounded Knee, Black Hills, etc). The tribe closest to the Badlands are the Oglala or Pine Ridge Reservation which has the second lowest life expectancy in the western hemisphere, only behind Haiti: years for males and 52 years for females. Teen suicide is 4 times that the national average and the county was previously the second poorest in the country (that was in 2010, I think in the 2020 census it's the 13th poorest)

it's really depressing as this stuff doesn't get any play nationally. the US continues to treat American Indians like ****

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Ridg ... eservation
It's so rough the males don't even get assigned ages.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 18, 2021 1:44 pm

Some day soon, likely in 2022 some time around early November, Marjorie Taylor Greene will be made irrelevant again.
I hadn’t actually considered her as a possible candidate, but it makes sense. With Gaetz going through some stuff, and the other mutants like Boebert and Cawthorne not really having any improv chops, she would represent the MAGA wing if Trump doesn’t run.

If Trump runs, I think it’s him vs. Cheney and everyone else sits out. If Trump doesn’t run, I think it boils down to Cheney, Greene, and whichever one of the very sincere Ivy League populists wins the battle of attrition. But what’s interesting is that Cheney’s gonna come in with 40% of the vote locked down immediately which will take her to the end if she gets donors. The others are gonna split the rest of the 60%, meaning they’re gonna have to figure out who’s gonna get the red hat vote early on or Cheney steals a bunch of states.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue May 18, 2021 1:46 pm

I think the shaman, for example, has very little to do with the crowd at large. There were people who feel like they were invited to a party, and showed up for a good time. There were others who did get caught up in things not understanding just how much law they were breaking. And then there’s the cosplay people who wanted to go murder Pelosi and AOC because they’re enemies.

I think the middle bucket of bandwagoners is the biggest portion, and the shaman persona the smallest. But it’s not all just radicalized wee brains. There’s people who knowingly shot their shot.
I don’t know, the reporters on the ground there talking to people said that everyone they talked to was down for storming Congress.

They were all arguably too dumb to know what the consequences were going to be. And that goes for the proud boy dummies that were leading the break in

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue May 18, 2021 1:47 pm

I hadn’t actually considered her as a possible candidate, but it makes sense. With Gaetz going through some stuff, and the other mutants like Boebert and Cawthorne not really having any improv chops, she would represent the MAGA wing if Trump doesn’t run.

If Trump runs, I think it’s him vs. Cheney and everyone else sits out. If Trump doesn’t run, I think it boils down to Cheney, Greene, and whichever one of the very sincere Ivy League populists wins the battle of attrition. But what’s interesting is that Cheney’s gonna come in with 40% of the vote locked down immediately which will take her to the end if she gets donors. The others are gonna split the rest of the 60%, meaning they’re gonna have to figure out who’s gonna get the red hat vote early on or Cheney steals a bunch of states.

Trump is definitely running.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 18, 2021 1:58 pm

Trump is definitely running.
Think anyone on his team goes against him? Maybe Romney gives it another shot if Cheney doesn’t.

Imagine the RNC having to throw support at Trump’s opposition if he somehow loses the primary

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue May 18, 2021 2:02 pm

Think anyone on his team goes against him? Maybe Romney gives it another shot if Cheney doesn’t.

Imagine the RNC having to throw support at Trump’s opposition if he somehow loses the primary
Hogan from MD said he's running.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue May 18, 2021 2:07 pm

I think they probably have another clown car primary. Trump doesn't have anything to offer to get folks to clear the path for him. He'll definitely win the primary against like Cheney, Chris Christie, Cruz, Rubio, DeSantis, Kasich again probably, Larry Hogan, Jeff Flake maybe (lol), just a bunch of dudes that will get some seed money to run a venture capital campaign from some deep pocketed donor that hopes their candidate gains traction and they can cash out if they win.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue May 18, 2021 2:13 pm

If Trump runs I don't see any MAGA candidates like DeSantis challenging him.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue May 18, 2021 2:16 pm

If Trump runs I don't see any MAGA candidates like DeSantis challenging him.
You can't out MAGA Trump, and he'd be offended if you tried which means he ain't picking you for VP. Best to suck up to him and hope he gives you the nod.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 18, 2021 2:19 pm

It doesn’t work...Rubio or Cruz sharing the floor with Trump.

Even lab-grown nobodies like Kasich. If he can’t win and believes in nothing, why invite the death threats and banning from the hot after parties.

I don’t see how it turns into a clown show if he runs again. Other than the inherent reasons.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue May 18, 2021 2:22 pm

I disagree. I don’t think chances of winning determines whether you run, it’s whether you have donor support to run a campaign. You know the Koch’s and the mercers are going to seed a candidate each to try and beat trump

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue May 18, 2021 2:28 pm

I am so tired of the downplaying of Jan 6th. I want this thing investigated and I want MGT's phone texts and records of that day, where she was the days before and what she was doing.

I also want McCarthy to testify what him and Trump colluded on to get the messaging straight.

I'm sorry, but this just can't be tolerated, and how one half of this country thinks it's fine that it happened, is beyond absurdity.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 18, 2021 2:29 pm

Look.

The Gates' are having a very public divorce. We have our priorities, Morkle.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 18, 2021 2:29 pm

I disagree. I don’t think chances of winning determines whether you run, it’s whether you have donor support to run a campaign. You know the Koch’s and the mercers are going to seed a candidate each to try and beat trump
cruz/hawley/rubio/desantis or any sitting politician can't run in '24 if Trump does. It means they lose, and they get primaried.

kasich could run, but i really think these guys don't want to deal with the Romney/Graham airport confrontations, the death threats, the hit pieces on Fox...there's just nothing to gain when the outcome is certain.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 18, 2021 2:30 pm

McCarthy won't even interview that capitol police officer. But, you know, #BackTheBlueExceptForCapitolBlue

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 18, 2021 2:32 pm

hey remember how the dems were racing to not call witnesses in impeachment, and now you have a highly compelling, charismatic officer who was almost murdered going on cable news shows to complain about Trump? maybe there was a better way to connect those storylines.

In addition to Schumer....Coons, Schatz...all of the swell guys in the senate are complete jokes.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue May 18, 2021 2:38 pm

cruz/hawley/rubio/desantis or any sitting politician can't run in '24 if Trump does. It means they lose, and they get primaried.

kasich could run, but i really think these guys don't want to deal with the Romney/Graham airport confrontations, the death threats, the hit pieces on Fox...there's just nothing to gain when the outcome is certain.
Nope. You are still thinking about this wrong. Trump does not have the network to influence these races. Rubio might get primaried becuase florida, but the others are safe.

I assume the premise of your argument is that if Cruz and Hawley dare challenge Trump, some GOP turd will run to the right (Trump) of him. And sure, I'm sure some idiot would do that, and Trump would endorse him. But what else is Trump going to do? Maybe one rally in the state where the turd introduces Trump, and then Trump gets on stage and rants about how unfair it was that they stole the election in 2020?

Trump does not like, steer donors and money to other people, he makes sure all the money comes to Trump. And it's not like he's going to push his small dollar donors to send money to some senate race.

This just goes to say that Trump is going to win, but he's limited in his ability to really control what other powerful or ambitious GOP figures can do.