Politics And Current Events

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:50 pm

How would this affect mail votes
I think he wants to ban universal mail in voting. Which, I think is dumb, but I also don't care.

I am less concerned with these low-grade voter suppression efforts than I am with growingly sophisticated gerrymandering and these new laws providing state governments the ability to mess with their local districts and elections. So the important thing is to establish a national law that create standards for electoral districts and how states tabulate and certify results.
Gerrymandering is the closest thing I have to single-issue voting. But the danger in this spate of state-level election law 'reform' isn't suppressing votes so much as it is empowering partisan actors to nullify election results.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:29 pm

Seems like a smart move.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:42 pm

hahahaha why are we moving in the opposite direction in gun control

I’m pro-guns but that’s non-sensical all with all of the shootings occurring

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:28 pm

I don't think that any critical theory is being taught in high school. Saying they taught Jim Crow in high school is so far beyond what actually teaching critical race theory would be. And no, I do not believe these sort of social critiques are taught before college. CRT is just now stuff I don't like and don't want schools to teach. All the cringe being put out there is because we have all these genuine nitwits having to generate some notion of what they think they need to tell people CRT is.

I agree with you that currently it is mostly not being used. That said, I felt that Op-Ed does a nice job illustrating some of the more concerning elements of it. Children should never be required to apologize or write an essay talking about the sins of their ancestors, IMO. I honestly think it is just another tool that is being used to wedge people.

CRT isn't really something that is taught in and of itself, like students having a class called "Critical Race Theory" for fifth period right after lunch. Rather, it's more of a view that slants how other classes are taught and the lens though which everything is seen. For example, if you've seen references to stuff like "social justice math," that's because the lens of CRT is being applied to mathematics.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:33 pm

Seems like a smart move.

For context, Texas is the 21st state to enact constitutional carry.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:48 pm

@Shyster
So Missouri just passed a law that made it illegal for a MO LEO to enforce any federal gun law and fine the officer’s dept up to $50k.

Thoughts on constitutionality?
In essence it’s not negating federal law, it’s just forcing a federal agency to do the policing.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:56 pm

@Shyster
So Missouri just passed a law that made it illegal for a MO LEO to enforce any federal gun law and fine the officer’s dept up to $50k.

Thoughts on constitutionality?
In essence it’s not negating federal law, it’s just forcing a federal agency to do the policing.

The "sanctuary" laws that states and cities have passed in regard to not enforcing federal immigration laws have generally been upheld by the courts. Generally speaking, there's no obligation for state law enforcement to enforce federal law. Indeed, I know that many of the "Second Amendment Sanctuary" laws are directly inspired by those immigration laws. I don't see why the gun laws would be treated any differently.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:08 pm

Isn’t the long game on this going to be more federal enforcement officers though? The fed isn’t just going to roll over (despite the wishes of many), so aren’t they going to pull any federal $$ they were providing to aid local law enforcement and add to their headcount?

It literally feels like we’re still litigating the Grant presidency.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:09 pm

I’m ok with calling anyone who opposes this to be racist

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:12 pm

I love the one guys reasoning. Something like "I get the significance but why does celebrating it mean that we have to pay federal workers not to work?"

Like. Why do we celebrate it that way on the other 11 federal holidays?

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:18 pm

My brother's birthday is June 19th. This means he gets a federal holiday for his birthday too (mine is Veterans' Day).

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:19 pm

What the hell is social justice math

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:25 pm

I love the one guys reasoning. Something like "I get the significance but why does celebrating it mean that we have to pay federal workers not to work?"

Like. Why do we celebrate it that way on the other 11 federal holidays?
I would be happy for it to be a Columbus Day replacement.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:29 pm

why are holidays zero sum? US needs to give workers more days off anyway. The country’s stupid obsession with “work ethic” and refusing to make paid time off mandatory is stuck in the 1950s

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:08 pm

I don't think that any critical theory is being taught in high school. Saying they taught Jim Crow in high school is so far beyond what actually teaching critical race theory would be. And no, I do not believe these sort of social critiques are taught before college. CRT is just now stuff I don't like and don't want schools to teach. All the cringe being put out there is because we have all these genuine nitwits having to generate some notion of what they think they need to tell people CRT is.

I agree with you that currently it is mostly not being used. That said, I felt that Op-Ed does a nice job illustrating some of the more concerning elements of it. Children should never be required to apologize or write an essay talking about the sins of their ancestors, IMO. I honestly think it is just another tool that is being used to wedge people.

CRT isn't really something that is taught in and of itself, like students having a class called "Critical Race Theory" for fifth period right after lunch. Rather, it's more of a view that slants how other classes are taught and the lens though which everything is seen. For example, if you've seen references to stuff like "social justice math," that's because the lens of CRT is being applied to mathematics.
Do you have practical examples of how this is being carried out in any negative, broad way?

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:10 pm

What the hell is social justice math
Nothing that is generally used, but could possibly be used to help create a math connection for some, I assume.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:27 pm

Here I thought numbers knew no race

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:46 pm

Here are some sample lesson plans for social justice math for schools in Canada:
Chain Game: A simulation of the global economy
This lively simulation raises awareness to inequities in systems of global wealth and resource development. Students sell a product on the “global market,” but resources are inequitable. This activity can be a starting place for many areas of math.

Historical figures in one minute
Using data management, students begin an inquiry into systemic inequality. Students brainstorm a list of famous people – dead or alive. This may include mathematicians, actors, scientists, athletes, artists, etc. The data generated is then analyzed to reveal issues of power, racial and gender inequality.

Exploring accessibility issues with mathematics
This kindergarten lesson provides an outline for introducing accessibility, fairness, barrier-free spaces and inclusion to students in a developmentally appropriate way. Students demonstrate mathematical behaviors associated with measurement, data management, probability, geometry and spatial sense.

Access to clean water: Integrating math, science and social justice
This lesson integrates mathematics, environmental science, geography, Indigenous rights, language arts and social justice issues for junior/intermediate grades. Students explore their relationship with water and discover many Canadian Indigenous communities have limited access to the natural resource.

Budgeting and food inequity within Canada
Students become aware of food inequity as they explore the cost of food while on a set budget and use maps to explore issues of access to stores. They read, interpret and draw conclusions from primary and secondary data found in charts, tables and graphs.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:52 pm

This is a document of points that the Seattle public school system wanted their math instruction to cover. Students will learn, among others, "how math has been and continues to be used to oppress and marginalize people and communities of color; "identify the inherent inequities of the standardized testing system used to oppress and marginalize people and communities of color"; "explain how math has
been used to exploit natural resources"; "and "explain how math dictates economic oppression."

Questions for students to study include "How important is it to be Right? What is Right? Says Who?"; "How can we change mathematics from individualistic to collectivist thinking?"; and "How can we reframe our views of people/communities of color in mathematics?"

https://www.k12.wa.us/sites/default/fil ... mework.pdf

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:57 pm

Bunch of hippies.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:37 am

I don't get it....

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:06 am

Are you completely unaware of the racial biases that are present in standardized math exams? I understand that teaching racial justice in math class is maybe a bridge too far for many, but there are issues in nearly every school subject that are racially tone deaf or bias in a way that POC don’t understand it as easily as white america.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:10 am

Are you completely unaware of the racial biases that are present in standardized math exams? I understand that teaching racial justice in math class is maybe a bridge too far for many, but there are issues in nearly every school subject that are racially tone deaf or bias in a way that POC don’t understand it as easily as white america.
Such as?

Maybe in word problems you can use different names or attempt to make references to traditionally non- white things? That's about the best I can come up with

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:13 am

With the new holiday, do we get another day off?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:21 am

With the new holiday, do we get another day off?
Only if you're vaccinated.