Politics And Current Events

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu May 13, 2021 11:02 am

I was taking a look at our graduates for Saturday. We have one Visual Arts major (a painter) who graduating with honors. She's active on campus and is going to graduate school to become an art teacher.

By far our biggest major are the various business concentrations. From data I got last year, this major has the lowest GPA - usually around a 2.4 or so. Most of these are athletes who think they will end up playing professionally (they don't) and will more than likely end up coaching. We have a lot of Phys Education majors who are athletes - K-12 gym teachers in training. Lots of meatheads in this group.

Our teacher education program had waiting lists for years and had to cap the cohort size because of faculty limitations. Even with a teaching shortage K-12, this program has hit hard times over the last few years. We have 3 (!) graduates, down from 30-40 just a few years ago. One of the graduate programs was phased out for lack of interest due to alternative credentialing through the local school districts.
I’m obviously passionate about views on higher Ed and teaching. Teaching is hard because there is a shortage but only in places people don’t want to go or that pay like total garbage. My and my graduating class’s experience was that you only got an opportunity locally if you were connected to a board member or if you were a regarded sports player at your high school alma mater.

I was so frustrated talking to one of my mentors that is a principal that he presented this fact,

I subbed in multiple districts, was well liked, had relationships with the administration, always showed up on time, always was flexible, basically what you want in an employee.

He sat back in his chair, sighed, and said “you’re too good of a sub.” His point was its super hard to find reliable temp help like that and I was more valuable in that capacity. It’s a warped system all around.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu May 13, 2021 11:07 am

Source of the post Both will put you in over 100k of debt which is disgusting, especially for a state school.
Which is why I have no idea if my 529 plan for my daughter is enough. I'm trying to ensure that she doesn't wind up in that sinking ship.
Having worked in higher Ed recruiting and financial aid I can tell you that a lot of colleges make costs based on what will use the most aide. Then you have bigger name schools that cost way more than aide can cover so that leads to private loans. All that for what? An entry level job that if you’re lucky is going to start at 40k. My hope is this bubble bursts in the next 5 years so that when Pavel Jr and Pavel Jr Jr get to college age their 529 plans will actually help them.

There’s also the dependent vs independent borrower stays that only functions to limit the amount of Pell Grant and gov loans a student can get. And the insanity that is bankruptcy not discharging the loans.
At what point does someone become independent of their parents when it comes to federal loans and grants?
26 years old. The only way that can be bypassed is if the borrower is an emancipated minor or was in the system for adoption. (There are some one off situations as well) so you have situations where kids will want to go to school. Their parents make just enough for them to not qualify for any Pell Grant and the amount of fed loans they can get as a dependent won’t come close to covering costs. So the student either doesn’t go or the parents sign for terrible private loans.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu May 13, 2021 11:14 am

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu May 13, 2021 11:17 am

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu May 13, 2021 11:17 am

8.46 billion in cash - go **** yourself delta

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Thu May 13, 2021 11:19 am

That's nice of them

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu May 13, 2021 11:21 am

lol Delta going the opposite direction. Just pay them more money, lord knows that's one sector that would just jack up the prices anyways.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 13, 2021 11:23 am

They'll force Basic Economy ticketholders to clean while waiting for their plane as part of their ticket contract.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu May 13, 2021 11:49 am

Lulz @ business daddy asking the employees to work unpaid.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu May 13, 2021 12:16 pm

Lock him up

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 13, 2021 12:19 pm

The law prohibits teaching that is designed to make one race, gender, etc. feel superior to another or guilt over what past members of their demographic have done historically.
"Yeah, so this group of..... let's call them 'people'...... used bombs and airplanes to commit mass murder on a neighborhood that was populated almost exclusively with...... let's call them 'different people'." "Why did they do that?" "I'm sure they had their reasons. Moving on!"

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 13, 2021 12:40 pm

Like... does paying for an Art History degree at Duquesne vs Cal U do anything for you besides cost you a **** ton more money
Both will put you in over 100k of debt which is disgusting, especially for a state school.

Can't speak for Duquesne, but people that go to Cal tend to not be people who have to incur a lot of debt to pay for their education, if you know what I mean.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu May 13, 2021 12:44 pm

Cal U of PA you chuckle head

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 13, 2021 12:54 pm

God donut................

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu May 13, 2021 12:54 pm

The law prohibits teaching that is designed to make one race, gender, etc. feel superior to another or guilt over what past members of their demographic have done historically.
"Yeah, so this group of..... let's call them 'people'...... used bombs and airplanes to commit mass murder on a neighborhood that was populated almost exclusively with...... let's call them 'different people'." "Why did they do that?" "I'm sure they had their reasons. Moving on!"
I don't think anyone is arguing against the study of history, with all its warts. The issue is that critical race theory pretty plainly points at the white person (specifically, the white male) as the root of 99.9% of all evil that has ever been committed in the world. And it pushes a worldview that the modern "oppressed" should get back what is "theirs". It's dangerous, and it certainly shouldn't be taught in schools.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 13, 2021 1:05 pm

I don't think anyone is arguing against the study of history, with all its warts. The issue is that critical race theory pretty plainly points at the white person (specifically, the white male) as the root of 99.9% of all evil that has ever been committed in the world. And it pushes a worldview that the modern "oppressed" should get back what is "theirs". It's dangerous, and it certainly shouldn't be taught in schools.
Sure, it might be construed as 'dangerous'........... if you fit the bill as the villain in the story. But is it wrong, in the context of the 21st century world in which we all live? Because it's not ascribing accountability for '99.9% of all evil that has ever been committed', as I understand it. It's contextual. Yes, it may be true that this tribe enslaved members of that tribe at some point in the past, and they may even be committing atrocities to this day. But how does that fit into the broader context of human civilization in this day and age? Does that tribal conflict really wield an equal amount of societal impact, globally? And I would say that the net effect is so disparate that it can't be regarded on the same scale.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu May 13, 2021 1:12 pm

I understand what you are saying.

Looking at it from a different angle--let's say for the sake of argument that for the last six hundred years, the Age of Colonialism never existed. Europeans stayed where they were, didn't bother with Africa, the Americas, etc. A common argument is that the only reason the vast majority of the scientific, technological, medical, etc. advancements of the last half-millennium have taken place in Europe and the West is because white people built those on the backs of Africans, Native Americans, etc.

Taking colonialism out of the question--does anyone really think that Africa or the native peoples in the Americas would have been churning out things like the polio vaccine, the artificial heart, etc. if only the nasty Europeans hadn't messed with them? I highly doubt it. But that is another key point of CRT--the only reason predominantly white males invented 98% of the things we enjoy today is because of systemic racism. C'mon.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu May 13, 2021 1:17 pm

The pandemic was the one opportunity we had to fix this industry. You want some stimmy cash? Stop abusing your customers from your monopolized position.

But we’re just gonna roll it back, and air travel is going to be a hellscape for the rest of my life.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu May 13, 2021 1:27 pm

This thread peaked when tif thought the conversation was about Cal Berkeley vs Duquesne

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu May 13, 2021 1:32 pm

Like... does paying for an Art History degree at Duquesne vs Cal U do anything for you besides cost you a **** ton more money
Both will put you in over 100k of debt which is disgusting, especially for a state school.

Can't speak for Duquesne, but people that go to Cal tend to not be people who have to incur a lot of debt to pay for their education, if you know what I mean.
This data is inaccurate. Total cost per semester at Cal U is 21k

https://www.calu.edu/costs-aid/tuition/ ... index.aspx

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 13, 2021 1:34 pm

I was just trying to capture the spirit of the thing.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 13, 2021 1:45 pm

Lock him up
I'm sure that he'll be swiftly removed from his position...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu May 13, 2021 2:05 pm

how did Cuomo survive the allegations (in terms of not having to resign)? it seems like that's all over now

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu May 13, 2021 2:39 pm

how did Cuomo survive the allegations (in terms of not having to resign)? it seems like that's all over now
He didn't heed calls for his resignation. The issues are still being investigated.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu May 13, 2021 3:22 pm

Governor Klansman in Virginia showed that if you just ignore them people will be taken in by another shiny object and move on.