Politics And Current Events

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:02 pm

I feel like the internet changed the game more than anything. People care more about clicks and likes than genuine politicking

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:02 pm

I think you could argue that it started all the way back with Kennedy and Camelot.
:thumb:
Probably no coincide that the presidency turning into a media show coincided with TVs becoming commonplace in homes.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:02 pm

Ok, well started is probably the wrong word.

I think for Republicans, things became very different with Fox News and Clinton, and then for liberals it became the same thing with Bush and The Daily Show. Trump getting elected is the final culmination of that development. Not sure where things go, probably mass extinction.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:08 pm

All in favor say I.

I.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:34 pm

Titanic was the middle in a class of three ships: Olympic, Titanic, Britannic. Titanic and Britannic both sank (the latter before she ever saw commercial service; she was pressed into duty has a hospital ship during WWI and struck a mine in the Med and sank near Greece). Both of the foundered ships' wrecks have been discovered and explored - Britannic is reachable by SCUBA divers, she's in water that's shallower than her hull length. The namesake ship of the class - Olympic - served a full career as an ocean liner and was a troop transport during WWI, before being scrapped in the 1930s.

When she set sail, Titanic was the largest movable object ever built by man. She hit an iceberg and sank, killing 1,500 people. Her wreck was discovered in 1985 by an oceanographer who was seeking her as a side hustle after doing some classified work exploring the wreck of a lost US Navy submarine. But she sure as s**t sank.
Isn't the conspiracy related to swapping the Olympic and Titanic? IIRC, the Olympic was significantly damaged in a collision before the Titanic's first run. I think the conspiracy is something like the White Star Line swapped the names on the Olympic and Titanic and then intentionally ran the Olympic into the iceburg in order to collect the insurance money because the ship was screwed up from the collision.
Whatever the conspiracy claims in theory, in practice both ships were underinsured. And Titanic was insured for less value than Olympic, as the latter was the lead ship of the class and was sort of the 'proof-of-concept' liner where the real risk lay. Put aside the fact that you're setting sail with a vessel that you know can't save all embarked passengers, thus setting yourself up for potentially 1,500 murders. And also never mind the real structural differences between the two that have been verified by the observed wreckage.

As with most conspiracies, this one falls to pieces the moment you apply 40 milliseconds of actual thought.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:00 pm

Arbery verdict: all three guilty on majority of charges. Sanity prevails

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:05 pm

what was their argument again? that they think he robbed a house and for some reason that gave them permission to shoot him?

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:40 pm

Does this verdict mean that rural white people are now justified in looting the local Bass Pro?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:46 pm

Does this verdict mean that rural white people are now justified in looting the local Bass Pro?
Yes, that's exactly what it means.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:50 pm

what was their argument again? that they think he robbed a house and for some reason that gave them permission to shoot him?
A Man matching his description had been recorded in an under construction house several times. Things at the work site had been stolen, so the local sheriff considered him a POI, and said to call him if the perps saw him show up. Instead, the perps pursued him in their truck with their shotguns and he attempted to flee. While in pursuit they said they were executing a citizen's arrest and told him "if you you don't stop I'm going to blow your head off." Upon catching up to him, they jumped out the truck at which Arbery then attempted to wrestle the shotgun away. The murderer then shot him in claimed self defense.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:50 pm

I think you could argue that it started all the way back with Kennedy and Camelot.
I can't see "Camelot" without hearing Carlin's bit about Clinton's Cumalot. :lol:

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:50 pm

Sorry, they're probably out of ammunition too so there's nothing there you want.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:05 pm

So in a trial where it was pretty obvious that no crime was committed, and a couple of white people were killed, the white defendant was found not guilty.

In another trial in which a couple of good ol' boys murdered a black guy, and it was pretty obviously *not* self-defense, the jury convicted the white defendants.

It just makes all of the impotent outrage look that much dumber.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:05 pm

I think outrage in Aurbery helped. If I recall they originally were not even going to be prosecuted until the video came out.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:08 pm

I think outrage in Aurbery helped. If I recall they originally were not even going to be prosecuted until the video came out.
This. They weren’t even arrested for nearly 3 months.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:09 pm

Yeah, from Wiki:
The Glynn County Police Department (GCPD) said the Brunswick District Attorney's Office advised them on February 23 to make no arrests,[14] while the Brunswick District Attorney's Office denied that its top officeholders gave such advice.[15] Waycross District Attorney George Barnhill twice advised the GCPD to make no arrests, once on February 24, before he was assigned to the case on February 27,[16][17] and a second time on April 2 while announcing his intention to recuse himself from the case due to connections between his son and Gregory McMichael.[17][18][19] Barnhill requested recusal on April 7, and the case was sent to the Atlantic District Attorney's Office on April 13.[17] At the behest of Gregory McMichael,[20] a local attorney provided a copy of the video of the shooting to local radio station WGIG, who posted it to their website on May 5.[21] The video went viral,[22] having also been posted on YouTube and Twitter.[23][24] Within hours, Atlantic District Attorney Tom Durden said a grand jury would decide whether charges would be brought, and accepted an offer from Governor Brian Kemp to have the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) investigate the case.
Arbery wasn't mentioned on here until shaf brought it up on May 7th.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:16 pm

It’s amazing to me that we have to rely so heavily on social media for people to be brought to justice to avoid public outrage, which in itself is ironic.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:18 pm

Sorry, they're probably out of ammunition too so there's nothing there you want.

*sigh* Yeah, I know.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:20 pm

Yeah, I'm still not particularly sure how the Rittenhouse verdict was one of race; other than he had a fantasy of playing Wyatt Earp and his subjects were rioters who were taking advantage of a case where race was actually involved.

In the Arbery case, it's hard to tell if there was a racial component to it, but the soundbite of "black man jogging shot by confederate flag pickup" certainly helped bring about justice.

Moral of the story, "the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice." We are certainly closer today than at any point of our country's history. We should celebrate that. What we don't seem to agree on is if we're actually there yet.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:23 pm

I know actual sentient beings who believe that racism ended with Obama's election.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:07 pm

EPP believed it ended in 1865.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:10 pm

Speaking of dadholes:

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:16 pm

boooooooooooooo

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:20 pm

I seriously loathe that woman. Just as much as I loathe AOC or Tlaib.

The trial went the way it should have. Just let it rest already you stupid dodint

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:13 pm

So in a trial where it was pretty obvious that no crime was committed, and a couple of white people were killed, the white defendant was found not guilty.

In another trial in which a couple of good ol' boys murdered a black guy, and it was pretty obviously *not* self-defense, the jury convicted the white defendants.

It just makes all of the impotent outrage look that much dumber.
Probably good to remember what other things were being said about this incident