Politics And Current Events

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon May 03, 2021 8:49 am

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 03, 2021 8:57 am

Every poll Ive seen on this is 50-70% over the last 5 months. At some poInt, sample size isn’t gonna play anymore.
Who is more likely to respond to that survey:

1. A normal person
2. A whacko MAGA disciple with a bone to pick

One character answer, 1 or 2.
2 - because that’s today’s GOP. Extra characters needed. Apologies.
That wasn't the question. You answered who you think is more likely to be surveyed.

The question is... between 1 and 2, who is more likely to answer the survey and not hang up the phone.
i understand the theory. it's plausible. but congressmen have access to private, more accurate polling that they spend a ton of money on. and that informs them of how to frame their point of view on talking head shows. sure, those polls could be wrong too. but i don't know...King Colby on 5AF thinks the polls are wrong, but US Senators who decipher this data for a living think they're right.

i think guys like Hawley and Cruz have already gone through the reps that you're going through, and have determined that no - this conspiracy theory is a real thing and they need to play along to stay in good favor with the voting majority. if it was, say, 25% of GOP were conspiracy-riddled trumpers, then congress would still be sucking up to CEOs and giving reasonably sane TV interviews.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon May 03, 2021 9:01 am

- who actually believes this. Few
- who pretends to believe it to gin up the MAGA chuds. Many
- who pretends to believe this to pwn the libs. Many (same as Above)
- who doesn't care. Many
- who actively pushes back against the false narrative. Few

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon May 03, 2021 9:04 am

Don't 1 and 2 not jive? If few people actually believe it, why the horse and pony show in point 2? I feel 3 is smaller than 1. 4 is the biggest segment for sure.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 03, 2021 9:08 am

My FIL confidently and unironically says COVID is a hoax and also took extreme precautions to not get my MIL sick during her cancer treatments. He’s a virulent racist but also socially functional, so you wouldn’t know it. He watches football and also thinks he’s boycotting the NFL somehow. And he also genuinely thought 2020 was gonna be the biggest blowout ever in Trump’s favor.

This is pretty common, from what I’ve seen. Mentally compromised people getting shot through a gauntlet of misinformation every day. I don’t know what they believe KC and I don’t think it’s sophisticated trolling of pollsters as much as it is a bunch of perpetually confused children not understanding what’s happening outside the 1 foot radius around their face.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon May 03, 2021 10:10 am

My uncle is boycotting Coke but had Dasani bottled water and Minute Maid juice boxes for the kids in the cooler yesterday at their house

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon May 03, 2021 10:12 am

this convo feels pointless. Maybe the number of Repubs who think the election was "stolen" isn't 70% but it's higher than it should be which is still alarming.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon May 03, 2021 10:23 am

Lincoln Project taunting Trump now:

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 03, 2021 10:32 am

Hmmm...what’s the strategy here. It seems like it’s an attempt to re-spark the 5 minute GOP civil war from January. Wonder if there are some new holes to exploit there or if it’s just lazy fan service from the LP.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon May 03, 2021 10:33 am

Truck commercial VO guy “they gave you a small bowl for your small hands”

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon May 03, 2021 10:39 am

I like the showing of the turtle when Mitch's name is mentioned.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon May 03, 2021 10:40 am

Hmmm...what’s the strategy here. It seems like it’s an attempt to re-spark the 5 minute GOP civil war from January. Wonder if there are some new holes to exploit there or if it’s just lazy fan service from the LP.
This seems more an attack on the turtle, and taunting Trump to speak out against him. But the whole "they're making money off of your name" thing is kind of dumb. Trump wants that, Trump got kick-backs and made record profits from that. I don't think Trump even remotely cares about that, outside of himself wanting to be the most "powerful" man in the country.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon May 03, 2021 10:41 am

this convo feels pointless. Maybe the number of Repubs who think the election was "stolen" isn't 70% but it's higher than it should be which is still alarming.
Where I land. I don't think anyone in here thinks the election was stolen. If that person does, well, they're a lot dumber than I gave them credit for.

Otherwise, people are thinking what they think, the problem is breaking past this misinformation blitz and propaganda scheme.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon May 03, 2021 10:42 am

I don't think Trump even remotely cares about that, outside of himself wanting to be the most "powerful" man in the country.
Trump did tell the RNC to stop using his name in fund raising but they told him to get bent.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon May 03, 2021 10:48 am

Where I land. I don't think anyone in here thinks the election was stolen. If that person does, well, they're a lot dumber than I gave them credit for.

Otherwise, people are thinking what they think, the problem is breaking past this misinformation blitz and propaganda scheme.
By and large, the people on this board are not extreme. Some are extreme sympathizers, but no one here is all that extreme. You have to be brain dented to think Trump actually won in the fall. I imagine (aside from NAN :slug: ) the IQ on this board is higher than the American average.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon May 03, 2021 10:48 am

I don't think Trump even remotely cares about that, outside of himself wanting to be the most "powerful" man in the country.
Trump did tell the RNC to stop using his name in fund raising but they told him to get bent.
I still don't think he cares about it. He can ask them to stop, but can't do anything about it, and he's going to need them again if he wants to run or get even more back-door profits. He's just playing the game, imo.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon May 03, 2021 11:09 am

By and large, the people on this board are not extreme. Some are extreme sympathizers, but no one here is all that extreme. You have to be brain dented to think Trump actually won in the fall. I imagine (aside from NAN :slug: ) the IQ on this board is higher than the American average.
:pop:

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon May 03, 2021 11:16 am

Every poll Ive seen on this is 50-70% over the last 5 months. At some poInt, sample size isn’t gonna play anymore.
Who is more likely to respond to that survey:

1. A normal person
2. A whacko MAGA disciple with a bone to pick

One character answer, 1 or 2.
2 - because that’s today’s GOP. Extra characters needed. Apologies.
That wasn't the question. You answered who you think is more likely to be surveyed.

The question is... between 1 and 2, who is more likely to answer the survey and not hang up the phone.
I mean I guess if you asked the 74m Trump voters if it is a fraud 52m will say yes.
Way more than 52M. They asked "Republicans" not just "Republicans who voted for trump". So really it's probably more like 72M

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon May 03, 2021 12:11 pm

This seems more an attack on the turtle, and taunting Trump to speak out against him. But the whole "they're making money off of your name" thing is kind of dumb. Trump wants that, Trump got kick-backs and made record profits from that. I don't think Trump even remotely cares about that, outside of himself wanting to be the most "powerful" man in the country.
They need more money to groom sexual predators evidently.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon May 03, 2021 12:14 pm

why is Lincoln Project still a thing?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon May 03, 2021 12:16 pm

Shad making headlines
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1266088
Ghost guns, Nazi paraphernalia, nearly $1 million of meth seized in Pennsylvania raid

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:19 pm

This

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon May 03, 2021 12:20 pm

No idea, but looks like the GQP supporters are trying to make it a liberal thing:
In a monologue on Tucker Carlson Tonight on Wednesday, Carlson said agents had seized all of Giuliani's digital records and personal devices. He then took aim at a tweet from the Lincoln Project which hinted that the campaign was aware of the planned raid beforehand.

"The Feds notified their allies at the Democratic Party's campaign operation the Lincoln Project," Carlson said. "The Lincoln Project then bragged online that they knew this raid was coming."

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 03, 2021 12:30 pm

Handled the fallout better than the Catholic Church, at least.

The LP being opportunistic low character charlatans doesn't matter. Any organization has skeletons in its closet. It's a separate consideration from the service they provide. They make media collateral that's better than home grown stuff from Dems - which makes them useful idiots. These ads, though, they're just jerk off material for people who already agree with the premise. 2020 showed that TV ads don't really move the needle anymore. So i dunno...maybe they have basically no value. But whatever. i liked the commercial.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon May 03, 2021 12:35 pm

Handled the fallout better than the Catholic Church, at least.

The LP being opportunistic low character charlatans doesn't matter. Any organization has skeletons in its closet. It's a separate consideration from the service they provide. They make media collateral that's better than home grown stuff from Dems - which makes them useful idiots. These ads, though, they're just jerk off material for people who already agree with the premise. 2020 showed that TV ads don't really move the needle anymore. So i dunno...maybe they have basically no value. But whatever. i liked the commercial.
Why would I care about a dig at the Catholic Church?