Politics And Current Events

NAN

Re: Politics And Current Events

Postby NAN » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:02 am

The original political thread is back up at TOS.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:06 am

lolwut

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:10 am

Definitely a fun time to be a Government agent...

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/d ... 16413.html
Hmm... I wonder if it is time to cash in on that veterans preference

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:14 am

Hmm... I wonder if it is time to cash in on that veterans preference
You mean like getting a discount from the hookers? ;)

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:15 am

#supportthetroops

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:45 am

Now that's what I call a squat thrust.

obhave

Postby obhave » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:08 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32045536

Religious "freedom" law to be passed in Indiana.

Imagine a doctor refusing care to LGBT patients, people not serving someone of a different religion than their own. I don't understand the justification for this law

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:10 pm

Is it Obama's fault that the middle east and surrounding areas are more f'd up than they have been in a while? He pulled all those troops out, etc.

I just wanted others opinions. I'm getting political now.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:18 pm

Imagine a doctor refusing care to LGBT patients, people not serving someone of a different religion than their own. I don't understand the justification for this law
they would still need to do their duty in life and death situations wouldn't they?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:24 pm

Is it Obama's fault that the middle east and surrounding areas are more f'd up than they have been in a while? He pulled all those troops out, etc.

I would say the growth of ISIS, et al are more a result of removing Saddam Hussein, Gaddafi, and other dictators from power. Power vacuums in the Middle East are usually a precursor to disaster.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:26 pm

While Bush is at fault for destabilizing the region by removing a secular dictator (who, yes was an abominable despot) the rudderless FP of the Obama administration has made things worse. There are few "heroes" among the U.S. decision makers since 1954.

A good book to understand the "ethos" of the Middle East is Strong Horse by Lee Smith and why none of the Heads of State in the region respect the President or his State department.

obhave

Postby obhave » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:32 pm

they would still need to do their duty in life and death situations wouldn't they?
Life and death maybe. But there have already been examples I other states where doctors refused general care to LGBT people and their children. This is obviously an extreme, but even on a smaller level it allows discrimination at restaurants and other establishments.

Im happy to see some religious groups and companies starting to say they will no longer hold events in the state

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:35 pm

Life and death maybe. But there have already been examples I other states where doctors refused general care to LGBT people and their children. This is obviously an extreme, but even on a smaller level it allows discrimination at restaurants and other establishments.

Im happy to see some religious groups and companies starting to say they will no longer hold events in the state
Is it legal for a doctor to ask if someone is homosexual or not? How would doctors know?

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:36 pm

I mean, dude walks in with a mesh shirt, short cut off jean shorts and says "Oh my gawd... it's so effin hot out there." while fanning his face with an open hand, then yeah they can assume gay, but most gay people I know I wouldn't have been able to tell upon first meeting them.

obhave

Postby obhave » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:38 pm

Is it legal for a doctor to ask if someone is homosexual or not? How would doctors know?
Some doctor forms they have ask for sexual preference. You can choose not to put it down.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:40 pm

This is a bad policy and a dumb law.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:40 pm

Wouldn't they also have access to certain records like living arrangements, etc.? They would know if parents are gay because the child would have two mothers or two fathers, no?

Also, wouldn't they need to know if you're homosexual if you come in sick and need a blood test or something of the sort?

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:41 pm

Also, wouldn't they need to know if you're homosexual if you come in sick and need a blood test or something of the sort?
I believe most of those sort of restrictions have been lifted... not sure though.

obhave

Postby obhave » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:41 pm

Wouldn't they also have access to certain records like living arrangements, etc.? They would know if parents are gay because the child would have two mothers or two fathers, no?

Your last comment came off as if here was a blood test for homosexuality haha but I'm assuming you mean that gay men couldnt give blood in many states?
Last edited by obhave on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:42 pm

Your last comment came off as if here was a blood test for homosexuality haha but I'm assuming you mean that gay men can't give blood in many states?
you mean homosexuals aren't filled with unicorn blood? hmmm...learn something new every day.

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:44 pm

I didn't anyone under the age of 70 used the word homosexual.
Funny (I think).

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:47 pm

Your last comment came off as if here was a blood test for homosexuality haha but I'm assuming you mean that gay men couldnt give blood in many states?
Ha. Yeah, maybe that's what I was thinking of.

And I only used the term because I felt it was easier than saying LGBT or just gay or whatever. Sue me.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:49 pm

Reading these stories over the last six or seven years, I am almost ashamed that I once considered becoming a Deputy U.S. Marshal.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:49 pm

I believe it's LGBTQA now? I don't know...they keep adding more.

obhave

Postby obhave » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:50 pm

I believe it's LGBTQA now? I don't know...they keep adding more.
Yeah, queer and allie were added. I still just stick to LGBT or simply queer.