Politics And Current Events

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri May 07, 2021 8:07 am

TDS is now Trump Dependency Syndrome...

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri May 07, 2021 8:15 am

Because people will focus on that instead of the victims?
That hasn't stopped them before. In fact, I keep reading stories about how black people and Asian people are united against "white supremacy".

There seems to be a very obvious, long standing trend of racism towards Asians in cities, which has repeatedly manifested itself in assaults on (often) elderly Asian people. If the media is going to constantly focus on race (of both attacker and attacked) they can't suddenly stop talking about it when it doesn't fit the white supremacy narrative.
The only time the media pointed out the race of the aggressor was the massage parlor shooting, and it was because he was white. Meanwhile he shot and killed 2 white people and a latino as well, so it was a racial targeting act.

Only if the aggressor is white does black lives or asian lives matter.
Last edited by NAN on Fri May 07, 2021 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri May 07, 2021 8:16 am

:lol: They're like drug addicts now.

Man are they retarded.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri May 07, 2021 8:16 am

I feel sorry for all the white people. They can't catch a break.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri May 07, 2021 8:18 am

Actually, I feel sorry for the black and asian people that continued to get assualted, gunned down, etc by non-whites and it goes mainly ignored. There is a major issue out there that people don't seem to care about.

Thanks for the snark though.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri May 07, 2021 8:28 am

So what’s the racial scoreboard today fellas?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 07, 2021 8:32 am

:lol:

Ahh, the typical fallback for anything race-related.

The media has repeatedly gone out of their way to *not* mention the race of the attackers in any of these incidents. Instead, we get vague descriptions like "a stranger", "a group of teens", "a man", etc. You know damn well if "white supremacists" were responsible for all of these random brick smashings, head stompings, etc., there would be countless articles and news features breathlessly talking about the scourge of white supremacist violence towards Asian people.

Pointing out an obvious narrative has nothing to do with your strawman above. There has been a long track record for years of violence in cities being perpetrated against Asian and Jewish people, and in 99% of the cases, it is being committed by black men. Hell, you can add violence against trans people to that too. And it certainly seems like the rates of violence have picked up considerably since BLM became a thing. Hmm.

Yet, in the millions of words that have been printed about systemic racism, white supremacy, etc., a scant fraction of words have been devoted to covering this issue. Why? You and I both know the answer, and you can't dismiss it by saying "oh, you poor white person".

The media have essentially become apologists.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri May 07, 2021 8:41 am

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tw ... e-n1266378
The first man, who authorities alleged was Doles, can be seen in the video repeatedly striking the woman in the head with a cinder block, according to authorities, as he holds her down with his body. Another woman from inside the store appears to help the woman on the floor before being overwhelmed by the man.

Video shows the man then hitting the women multiple times in the head with the cinder block before the brutal attack is taken outside the store. He took off from the store but was later arrested, authorities said.
At the end of the article, NBC brings up about a half dozen incidences of anti Asian assaults in the last few months. It's funny how they repeatedly point out that the victims were all Asian, but not that the aggressors in every attack were black men.

If one trend is so important, why isn't the other?
i'm ok admitting that black people can be racist against asians. would also be helpful to admit that "kung flu" and "wuhan flu" and "china virus" has influenced the trend - even though these likely aren't people who are civically active on election day.

not that you're squirrely about it. but let's be completionists here

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri May 07, 2021 8:42 am

So what’s the racial scoreboard today fellas?
White people are not allowed to score in this game. It would show our supremacy. :pop:

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri May 07, 2021 8:46 am

Jobs report is a mess.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri May 07, 2021 8:49 am

why was there expected to be that kind of influx?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri May 07, 2021 8:53 am

Get ready to be inundated with "the Biden dole is the reason no one will work at my restaurant for $2/hr plus tips" stories.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri May 07, 2021 8:53 am

Jobs report is a mess.
People need to go back to the office, etc for all those jobs that support them to come back.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri May 07, 2021 8:58 am

Vaccines and help wanted signs in a ton of windows... they reported on it this morning on NPR, and many experts thought it'd be well below the million some were calling. There's a ton of people that dropped out of the work force to take care of kids or the elderly, there's a lot that don't want to come back until the vaccine numbers/cases are in a better spot, and many just don't want to go work at Burger King. They said that there are a lot of fast food restaurants that are offering things like $500 signing bonuses. This seems to be a sign that they think the current situation is not permanent. Apparently if they saw it as a permanent thing, they'd raise wages instead.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri May 07, 2021 8:59 am

“There is ample evidence in the record to support the finding that Trump and the committee knew of, and nonetheless accepted, the illegal contributions at issue here,” Broussard and Weintraub wrote in an agency filing on Thursday.

The FEC’s general counsel, who conducted a preliminary review of the matter, recommended an inquiry “to determine the extent to which Trump coordinated with, or otherwise directed, Cohen to make the Clifford payment to help his presidential campaign,” an agency filing shows.

”Continued pursuit of the matter required at least four votes,” said Paul S. Ryan, vice president for policy and litigation at Common Cause, which filed one of the complaints against Trump and his campaign. “Republican Commissioners Cooksey and Trainor overrode the career attorneys and Democratic commissioners and killed the investigation.”
Yea, sounds about Republican.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri May 07, 2021 9:12 am

Vaccines and help wanted signs in a ton of windows... they reported on it this morning on NPR, and many experts thought it'd be well below the million some were calling. There's a ton of people that dropped out of the work force to take care of kids or the elderly, there's a lot that don't want to come back until the vaccine numbers/cases are in a better spot, and many just don't want to go work at Burger King. They said that there are a lot of fast food restaurants that are offering things like $500 signing bonuses. This seems to be a sign that they think the current situation is not permanent. Apparently if they saw it as a permanent thing, they'd raise wages instead.
At both the massive nursery (Metrolina) and the fire equipment place (Buckeye) near me they are offering starting per hour jobs $4 or $5 more than they were pre-pandemic. At the former where I know the hiring manager she says they've spent a good amount of money in the last couple of months in recruiting and almost universally the same response is tied into stimulus checks and unemployment benefits. Anecdotal, but it is what it is.

Once those run out I bet jobs numbers will go up.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri May 07, 2021 9:14 am

Source of the post Once those run out I bet jobs numbers will go up.
And the pay will go back down. Just is what it is at this point, I guess.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 07, 2021 9:14 am

That has been the general thought about the staffing crisis in our industry. That once the stimulus checks/unemployment benefits finally dry up, it will force people to reenter the workforce. It has been brutal lately.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri May 07, 2021 9:21 am

Women can't rejoin the workforce because the school year is still going on. Families can't eat in restaurants or do stuff indoors because of lack of vaccinations for kids.

Like...in my neck of the woods, nothing has changed dramatically. I don't know where this extra economy was coming from.

But yeah, I do see lots of help wanted signs for minimum wage work. Seems like minimum wage could use some re-tooling. Has anyone brought this up?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri May 07, 2021 9:23 am

The Pandemic doesn't exist anymore down here so that can't be the reason manufacturing is having trouble hiring.

I've eaten out pretty much every Wednesday since May of last year at a rotation of local artery-clogging eateries and for the past couple of months masks and social distancing have gone the way of the dodo.

#Shmenguinblameswomen

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri May 07, 2021 9:36 am

yeah, that's right. i always tell my wife that the jobs report is her fault because she took the year off to make sure our family stayed rolling.

your attempts at insults are weird

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri May 07, 2021 9:39 am

Freddy's right. Rona is over down south, baby.

I know in our area, the population hasn't changed much over the last 20+ years. Yet more and more service type businesses - restaurants, retail - have opened, and require lots of staff to keep open seven days a week.

SC had Blue Laws for many years, and may still be on the books in some locales. When I first moved to my current area, you couldn't buy anything from the non-food/pharmacy side of Walmart on a Sunday before 1:30PM. They actually roped the store off. That was changed by county or city ordinance a few years ago, but now more stores are open for longer periods of time which requires more staffing...

I'm seeing lots of businesses with help wanted signs out, and owners whinging about not enough applicants. Our Papa John's franchise - in a college town - is open only Friday-Sunday because of it. Others have followed suit.

We've had a part-time position open at my library since October and can't find suitable candidates to apply and then actually show up for an interview. We pay $12 an hour, but that bit isn't advertised because HR likes to lowball them if possible (dadholes). They do **** like ask desired salary (for a P-T position) and when a young applicant says $8 an hour, HR swings in like a hero and offers them $9 an hour (when we are budgeted for $12).

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri May 07, 2021 9:40 am

Pittsburgh Public Schools has a such a shortage of bus drivers that they are basically asking people to find a way to get their kids to school by means other than a bus. Woof.

I saw a banner for one of the local bus companies (maybe ABC transit? I don't know) offering a $2,500 sign on bonus for anyone with a CDL willing to drive part time for them.

What i find interesting about the bus driver shortage is that it really doesn't jive with the general thought that everyone is sitting around, getting fat and playing video games on biden bucks, trumpbux, and unemployment benefits. I'm making a generalization here, but most bus drivers are older, semi retired types that were looking for a way to make a few bucks on the side. The stereotype of the pandemic welfare leacher is a younger person, but younger people really aren't driving busses.

So my guess in the case of the mysterious disappearing bus driver fleet is that a lot of people just decided that the juice (i.e. $15 bucks an hour to drive a bunch of unruly kids to school) is no longer worth the squeeze (maybe getting sick, dealing with unruly kids).

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri May 07, 2021 9:41 am

I can't believe you guys think I have worse takes than Freddy

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri May 07, 2021 9:43 am

I can't believe you guys think I have worse takes than Freddy
That's a you problem... not an us problem...