Politics And Current Events

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sat May 01, 2021 12:42 pm

Not positive, but I think that’s a signal that it’s too dramatic of a statement.

We’re still in the middle of something extremely hairy. In 10 years time, it’s not really known what our system of government will be and if 40k votes went the wrong way last fall, Id be looking for any way possible to leave this place.

It’s fine. Not gonna convince anyone on a Saturday morning. But more guardrails need put up to prevent republicans from taking power. DC statehood should happen anyway. But right now, it needs to - urgently.
In 10 years time our system of government is going to be exactly the same as it is today and exactly the same as it was 10 years ago. Thinking there will be a material change is an exercise in futility. Our good congressmen and women on both sides of the aisle will make sure of it.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat May 01, 2021 1:04 pm

Manchin wants DC statehood to be a constitutional amendment. Of course he does.
Neither the creation of the original federal district, nor the admission of any new state was subject to the amendment process. He can go pound sand. (The Constitution specifically enumerates the power for the latter act to the Congress, in typically vague fashion)

And I say that as someone who is resoundingly 'meh' on DC statehood.
If you take him at face value he also thinks the filibuster is in the constitution.

Instituting some sort of civics exam for congressional elects isn’t the worst idea. I guarantee the MAGA mutants in the house don’t even know what’s in the constitution and the only reason basically any congressmen on either side would is because they’re former lawyers. Otherwise there’s no incentive to...know stuff. Lobbyists write laws that fit into the framework and they parrot the talking points on TV. And when those talking points are incorrect nobody cares.

Some sort of deep deep, elite level of constitutional knowledge and expertise in US and world history should be the base level expectation of you’re one of the 600 people or so who is on that level of influence.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sat May 01, 2021 2:25 pm

I expect to see this tactic employed in inner city voting precincts with the new poll watcher laws that they are putting in place (at TCF Center in Detroit):
It began with a huddle of Republican observers around midday on Nov. 4, according to affidavits from Democratic poll watchers, nonpartisan observers and election officials.

Soon after, the Republicans “began to fan out around the room,” wrote Dan McKernan, an election worker.

Then they ramped up their objections, accusing workers of entering incorrect birth years or backdating ballots. In some cases, the poll watchers lodged blanket claims of wrongdoing.

“The behavior in the room changed dramatically in the afternoon: The rage in the room from Republican challengers was nothing like I had ever experienced in my life,” wrote Anjanette Davenport Hatter, another election worker.

Mr. McKernan wrote: “Republicans were challenging everything at the two tables I could see. When the ballot envelope was opened, they would say they couldn’t see it clearly. When the next envelope was opened, they made the same complaint. They were objecting to every single step down the line for no good reason.”

The chaos provided some of the basis for Michigan officials to debate whether to certify the results, but a state board did so that month.
Sounds like harassment to me.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/01/us/p ... chers.html

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat May 01, 2021 2:28 pm

White noise.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat May 01, 2021 2:50 pm

Literally.

NAN

Postby NAN » Sat May 01, 2021 8:04 pm

It’s fine. Not gonna convince anyone on a Saturday morning. But more guardrails need put up to prevent republicans from taking power. DC statehood should happen anyway. But right now, it needs to - urgently.
:?

How very authoritarian of you. Trump would be proud.
Shmenguin is more Trump like in demeanor than the Trump supporters he hates.

NAN

Postby NAN » Sat May 01, 2021 8:06 pm

Not positive, but I think that’s a signal that it’s too dramatic of a statement.

We’re still in the middle of something extremely hairy. In 10 years time, it’s not really known what our system of government will be and if 40k votes went the wrong way last fall, Id be looking for any way possible to leave this place.

In 10 years time our system of government is going to be exactly the same as it is today and exactly the same as it was 10 years ago. Thinking there will be a material change is an exercise in futility. Our good congressmen and women on both sides of the aisle will make sure of it.
:thumb:

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat May 01, 2021 10:12 pm

I think that’s most likely true, but there’s definitely a decent chance that things just won’t stick to the status quo. If the Trump segment of Republicans can get pushed to the periphery, ok. If not, that becomes more of a long lasting issue.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun May 02, 2021 6:17 am

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun May 02, 2021 6:44 am

No you haven't... you chose to do that.
Sure it wasn't a law or anything, but nobody wants to be that one dadhole. After our first walk without masks and all the stink eyes, it was easier to bring along a mask and throw one on when passing somebody.
Ha, my wife told me today some woman yelled "put a mask on you **** NTP66" at her as she passed her on the sidewalk while walking to her car the other day. Ironically, the day after Biden said you didn't need to wear a mask outside.
As demented and stupid as the full blown anti Vax, anti mask people are, this pandemic has brought out the crazies on all sides.

Some of the people, often with Twitter handles that have a mask in their handle and "WEAR A MASK" in their bios, are borderline religious when it comes to Fauci/COVID. People are weird in general. That said, it's the former group that has irritated me the most over the last year. Especially the damned Amish.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sun May 02, 2021 7:27 am

Capitalism eating itself alive

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun May 02, 2021 10:48 am

Come on...there’s gotta be at least one intern out there who has an icky chuck todd story. Where’s cancel culture when you need it.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sun May 02, 2021 10:55 am

Come on...there’s gotta be at least one intern out there who has an icky chuck todd story. Where’s cancel culture when you need it.

Is this where are the Chuck Todd hate is coming from? The Daily Show?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun May 02, 2021 11:14 am

More specifically me, in this case.

But I think giving oxygen to pro-insurrectionists on a weekly basis and then not asking them about their pro-insurrection tendencies is bad for business. Others may disagree

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sun May 02, 2021 11:15 am

Chuck Todd makes jake tapper look like a capable journalist

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sun May 02, 2021 11:17 am

They are very different programs. MTP is modeled as a public affairs program whereas the daily show, hannity, tucker are clearly opinion programs.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sun May 02, 2021 11:22 am

They are very different programs. MTP is modeled as a public affairs program whereas the daily show, hannity, tucker are clearly opinion programs.
There’s opinion and there’s hidden editorializing . Which these anchors do by treating all information as politics

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun May 02, 2021 12:09 pm

The Daily Show is a comedy/satire. Not at all the same as Hannity, etc.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun May 02, 2021 12:33 pm

I'd rather watch old episodes of Firing Line

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sun May 02, 2021 12:44 pm

The Daily Show is a comedy/satire. Not at all the same as Hannity, etc.
They are all very one-sided political shows which is what I was commenting on. Hannity and Tucker are so ridiculous at times they may as well be satire which I why I was I never understood the need for the Colbert Report.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun May 02, 2021 1:18 pm

Dandeliongate.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun May 02, 2021 1:44 pm

The guy I tweeted works for the daily show. I haven’t watched the daily show since Kilborn. These facts are not connected to the problem of weekend morning news shows pretending like republicans didn’t just coordinate an actual violent attempt at overthrowing the election.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun May 02, 2021 4:13 pm

Romney with a sad display here. Has to suck up to his local white trash while they’re booing him because he didn’t like Trump’s “character issues”. Was bribing foreign govt for helping interfere with the election just a “character issue”? Or the other time you voted to convict? You’re impeaching over “character”? Is that what congress does?

Cant even admit anything true to anyone. That legendary courage of his lasted 13 months.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun May 02, 2021 4:53 pm

The GOP is ****.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun May 02, 2021 4:58 pm

The GOP is ****.
Not so fast. A new hero emerges.