Politics And Current Events

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri May 20, 2022 9:18 am

Well the left benefits from millions of illegal immigrants voting for democrats.
The right is just punching back.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 20, 2022 9:18 am

I love tweets from braindead politicians like this:

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri May 20, 2022 9:20 am

Yeah, voting for Republicans in 2022 is basically to make sure democrats don't win elections in the future.

That's the model for these populist-right (fascist countries) now (see Hungary, Poland, etc).

Wherever neo-liberal democracy (the center) is week, these movements are gaining ground and doing soft-coups.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri May 20, 2022 9:22 am

To take geno's tact, the mainstreaming of abortion comes in direct response to the constant legal battles of eliminating it. It's always a battle of where the government is going to limit it, its constantly under attack. So yeah, it's going to become a focal issue and get "mainstreamed."

Meanwhile, as it has become more mainstreamed as an issue, abortions have continued to decline year after year as access to healthcare and contraceptives become more easily available.
As for geno's replacement theory rhetoric, I can't speak for why the Democratic party pushes that platform. I do know why I support amnesty and a path to citizenship; it's my opinion on what constitutes having some level of humanity.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri May 20, 2022 9:24 am

Well the left benefits from millions of illegal immigrants voting for democrats.
The right is just punching back.
Yes, the Left is making our southern neighbors poor and desperate. Forcing terrorized and starving peoples to seek entry into the country.

To be fair, it's been the entire US policy towards our close neighbors to the south, so the left/liberals of this country are also responsible.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri May 20, 2022 9:24 am

Not going out and celebrating an abortion or getting pregnant just to have one.
Who TF are these people? Some random attention whore on twitter?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri May 20, 2022 9:26 am

As for geno's replacement theory rhetoric, I can't speak for why the Democratic party pushes that platform. I do know why I support amnesty and a path to citizenship; it's my opinion on what constitutes having some level of humanity.
I support Juarez becoming a tent city.

We need bold politicians to stand up for American values, that being the dehumanization of the less fortunate.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 20, 2022 9:29 am

Nobody does this, and I'd like to think that everyone's smart enough to realize it.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri May 20, 2022 9:29 am

...by stealing future elections.
Can't steal what you already declared victory for, hot shot... 8-)

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri May 20, 2022 9:29 am

No one that I know of. I was just quoting what Troy and NTP were saying they thought shad meant. Which I think they misinterpreted.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri May 20, 2022 9:32 am

No one that I know of. I was just quoting what Troy and NTP were saying they thought shad meant. Which I think they misinterpreted.
Ahhh. Reading comprehension fail on my part :fist:

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri May 20, 2022 9:32 am

This makes no sense. Sorry to be so mean to you, but we didn't "interpret" anything. We asked him what he meant.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri May 20, 2022 9:38 am

So the right is running on stealing elections?
If there's ever going to be a civil war, I feel like this is what's going to cause it.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 20, 2022 10:02 am

Yeah, I should have been more clear, sorry. The vast majority of unwanted pregnancies are a result of irresponsible behavior (by both parties, it takes two to tango)...drunk one night stands, etc. It's only a smallish minority that are medically necessary or a result of rape, incest, etc. I guess I just wish it wasn't so widely accepted that it's an appropriate and morally OK thing to do when you mess up in that way.

I guess I'm probably thinking more about it's use among middle and upper-class women that are essentially using it as a get out of jail free card for bad decisions. It's really macabre to me and I hate that the biological miracle that is conception and birth has been overshadowed by all of the "my choice" stuff. Again, just my personal two cents, not a call for legislation.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri May 20, 2022 10:05 am

Source of the post The vast majority of unwanted pregnancies are a result of irresponsible behavior
Assuming this is true, I guess my response is, yeah... so?

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri May 20, 2022 10:15 am

Yeah, I should have been more clear, sorry. The vast majority of unwanted pregnancies are a result of irresponsible behavior (by both parties, it takes two to tango)...drunk one night stands, etc. It's only a smallish minority that are medically necessary or a result of rape, incest, etc. I guess I just wish it wasn't so widely accepted that it's an appropriate and morally OK thing to do when you mess up in that way.

I guess I'm probably thinking more about it's use among middle and upper-class women that are essentially using it as a get out of jail free card for bad decisions. It's really macabre to me and I hate that the biological miracle that is conception and birth has been overshadowed by all of the "my choice" stuff. Again, just my personal two cents, not a call for legislation.
:thumb:

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri May 20, 2022 10:18 am

Do you know anyone that got an abortion and thinks that way?

I don't think anyone is just deliberately being irresponsible because they know they can end an unwanted pregnancy.

Is the morning after pill also bad because it permits irresponsible behavior?

I think my point is, being a scold here is dumb. There is no real consistent and viable "ethical" position on the anti-abortion side. We keep trying to wade into the nuance, but all these opinions are bad.

So, just go on thinking that abortion is icky and supporting those anti-abortion groups that focus more on the front-end. That's a rationale course IMO.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri May 20, 2022 10:18 am

Source of the post The vast majority of unwanted pregnancies are a result of irresponsible behavior
Assuming this is true, I guess my response is, yeah... so?
I guess just like everything else in life, try to be more responsible or deal with the consequences.

When I was 19, I had a scare with my girlfriend, and we were absolutely being irresponsible. But we were both ready to raise a child, even though we weren't ready. Fortunately it was just a scare, and I tell you what, after that I wrapped up and pulled out to be extra careful.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri May 20, 2022 10:20 am

Do you know anyone that got an abortion and thinks that way?

I don't think anyone is just deliberately being irresponsible because they know they can end an unwanted pregnancy.

Is the morning after pill also bad because it permits irresponsible behavior?

I think my point is, being a scold here is dumb. There is no real consistent and viable "ethical" position on the anti-abortion side. We keep trying to wade into the nuance, but all these opinions are bad.

So, just go on thinking that abortion is icky and supporting those anti-abortion groups that focus more on the front-end. That's a rationale course IMO.
I know at least 3 people that have gotten an abortion and thought of it as a get out of free jail card.

Heck, the one I think made a stupid decision on it because she probably would have been taken care of for life as the father was an NFL player at the time, and a rich/great one at that.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 20, 2022 10:20 am

Source of the post I guess just like everything else in life, try to be more responsible or deal with the consequences.
Deciding to have an abortion is one way to deal with the consequences. An acceptable one, at that.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri May 20, 2022 10:22 am

Source of the post I guess just like everything else in life, try to be more responsible or deal with the consequences.
Deciding to have an abortion is one way to deal with the consequences. An acceptable one, at that.
We just see it differently. Doesn't mean either of us is right or wrong.

I just have a tough time understanding terminating a potential life, especially when my wife and I went through 6 miscarriages before we were able to have our first child. But then again, that is just me.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri May 20, 2022 10:22 am

That's my thinking. And it's a pretty terrible consequence that I've had multiple women describe to me as "the worst day" of their lives. I don't know of anybody laughing all the way to the clinic.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 20, 2022 10:24 am

So let's get right down to it, then. Are you against laws allowing for women to seek an abortion in a reasonable timeframe? As in, whatever week most abortions are provided at, none of this 'week 30' or 'while they're in the birth canal' horseshit.

Edit: To be more clear, would you want to take away a women's right to seek an abortion in that scenario?

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri May 20, 2022 10:26 am

So let's get right down to it, then. Are you against laws allowing for women to seek an abortion in a reasonable timeframe? As in, whatever week most abortions are provided at, none of this 'week 30' or 'while they're in the birth canal' horseshit.

Edit: To be more clear, would you want to take away a women's right to seek an abortion in that scenario?
I think both shad and I have been clear that the government should stay out of this. My views are more on a moral side.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 20, 2022 10:27 am

That's my thinking. And it's a pretty terrible consequence that I've had multiple women describe to me as "the worst day" of their lives. I don't know of anybody laughing all the way to the clinic.
I know a few people who had an abortion for different reasons, and all of them said it was just a truly awful day. I'd wager that this is likely the case for the majority of people who have an abortion.