Politics And Current Events

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:52 am

My Dad retired in early 2020, right before COVID, which is great because he was a corrections officer. In the 35+ years I've known him I never heard him make a political comment. Now that he's retired he spends hours everyday watching Youtube about Trump and anti-AOC, etc. It's like he's radicalized himself and is making it his identity. It's driving my step-mom nuts because all he wants to do is sit and watch Newsmax or whatever it is.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:53 am

That's an interesting study. When I let myself get consumed with politics/current events I do absolutely find that it affects my happiness. Summer 2020 was a perfect storm for me and it required me to make a conscious effort to take a step back. I thought this was just a personality issue I had and didn't connect it to liberal/conservative, though. Maybe liberals are more likely to let politics overwhelm them vs conservatives who are more go with the flow?

I wouldn't say go with the flow for conservatives.

They're 100% the "this doesn't affect me so I don’t really care about it" type of person.
Yeah maybe. I'll let the conservatives here chime in with their theories. For whatever reason, they're able to not let it affect their daily lives in a way that I struggle with at times.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:54 am

That's an interesting study. When I let myself get consumed with politics/current events I do absolutely find that it affects my happiness. Summer 2020 was a perfect storm for me and it required me to make a conscious effort to take a step back. I thought this was just a personality issue I had and didn't connect it to liberal/conservative, though. Maybe liberals are more likely to let politics overwhelm them vs conservatives who are more go with the flow?

They're 100% the "this doesn't affect me so I don’t really care about it" type of person.
I wouldn't say that at all. There are definitely people that fall into that category, but I think a lot more know some changes need to be made, help where they can, but aren't going to let it consume their lives though.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:54 am

ironically, grievance culture is a source of happiness for conservatives. it's a fun past time when you're in pole position.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:55 am

Yeah maybe. I'll let the conservatives here chime in with their theories. For whatever reason, they're able to not let it affect their daily lives in a way that I struggle with at times.
conservatives here will tell you they care about things and then offer no path to addressing the things they allegedly care about.

makes one think they actually don't know what "care" means

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:07 am

I wouldn't say that at all. There are definitely people that fall into that category, but I think a lot more know some changes need to be made, help where they can, but aren't going to let it consume their lives though.
This is literally the definition of white privilege. And this isn't a NAN you suck cause you're white post. It's just that you actually spelled it out.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:11 am

https://www.foxnews.com/us/molotov-**** ... d-chemical

Cops have nothing to worry about when walking to someones window.
Who said they didn't have a hard job? Glad we got another reason out of the way on why it's OK for cops to execute people.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:13 am

My Dad retired in early 2020, right before COVID, which is great because he was a corrections officer. In the 35+ years I've known him I never heard him make a political comment. Now that he's retired he spends hours everyday watching Youtube about Trump and anti-AOC, etc. It's like he's radicalized himself and is making it his identity. It's driving my step-mom nuts because all he wants to do is sit and watch Newsmax or whatever it is.
Oof, that's no way to live. I make my parents turn off CNN in the other room when we visit because I think they watch that too much, too.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:13 am

eh. i disagree. compartmentalization can exist in many forms. there are plenty of black people who don't live in die on SJW twitter and generally just go about their day. you gotta find your peace where it's available.

white privilege is looking around and going, "i don't see what the big deal is. worked out ok for ME." ...which of course is a separate conservative trope

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:15 am

mine were always republican, but have gradually been consumed and radicalized by fox news since us kids moved out and now i have to hear about wet masks.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:15 am

Yeah, being personally consumed by sociopolitical goings on is not a sign that you are a positive contributor and the converse of that is not white privilege...

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:15 am

Living with my family and growing up in Pennsyltucky. The only time I really believe a conservative to be truly afraid is:

1) Taxes being raised/gas becoming expensive.
2) Minority groups gaining more power.
3) 2A.

IMO, nothing really bothers them past that. It's mostly status quo, and keeping status quo is ideal. The interesting thing though, is when they drive around their own town and complain how it's falling apart, it's anyone but themselves to blame.

I do really believe the ignorance is bliss line does have some kind of input there.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:20 am

I can only speak for myself.

I typically view things as "the truth is somewhere in the middle" lens.

I feel there needs to be reform in the police ranks, especially in the unions, where bad cops are rooted out and held accountable. But I also feel a vast majority officers are good officers that put their lives on the line everyday. They see stuff that none of us ever get to see. They need to approach each situation with extremely high caution or they may not be making it home. There needs to be a mutual respect between the officers and the neighborhoods they patrol. And it has to come from both sides, not just one. Individuals on the left have turned every cop into a criminal and all criminals into saints. Look at all of the shootings in the Pgh neighborhoods last night, I don't see any outrage.

Poorer individuals definitely need some help, but you cant' build a perpetual welfare state. That will never change the culture. There are definitely exceptions where individuals are sick, or are caretakers, but if you are an able bodied person and are receiving welfare or free healthcare (if ever passed), I believe you need to be put to work. A perpetual welfare state where there is no accountability will never fix things.

There needs to be gun controls out there, deeper background checks. Stronger control, but not to the level of the government taking your guns (yes, I know that it won't get to that level). School shootings, mass shootings, make me sick.

Consevratives care. But after a while, whenever the left disagrees with any of your views, you are labeled as racist, dumb, or whatever, you just kind of stop talking about it and just kind of do your thing where you can help. I donate a ton, whether it's cash, clothing, toys for children, food, throughout the year to help lower income individuals. I volunteer both within my community and other communities. But I just don't let it consume my life. You are only here once. I love my family, I love my friends. I want to enjoy my time here as well. I know I'm fortunate. I try to help where I can. But I'm not going to feel guilty or apologize for the life I live. Especially when I have worked hard for it.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:20 am

My other set of parents are conservative as well and are consumed by taxes being raised. They live in that fear day in and day out.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:21 am

This is literally the definition of white privilege. And this isn't a NAN you suck cause you're white post. It's just that you actually spelled it out.
That's fine. Then I guess I don't care. Whenever everything is considered white privelage, racist, whatever, then I guess I don't feel I need to listen to the woke people. Good luck saving the world.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:23 am

My other set of parents are conservative as well and are consumed by taxes being raised. They live in that fear day in and day out.
What absolutely gets me, is that Trump's middle class taxes are going up, and it's the libs fault.

Gas prices are going up because the world is returning to normal, and it's the libs fault.

The end-game, is that it's always the libs fault, no matter what. When you question anything remotely negative about a conservative, it's "they're all crooks, so it's OK" or "CNN/liberal media is hurting them."

It's basically the "I Win" game from big daddy.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:23 am

Who said they didn't have a hard job? Glad we got another reason out of the way on why it's OK for cops to execute people.
Uh, I've seen plenty of posts asking why cops need to have fire arms, why are they scared when walking up to your care window, etc, etc.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:24 am

both liberals and conservatives are annoying and only enlightened centrists are smart and care

:slug:

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:24 am

yeah, my teen/young adult years were fueled by this tax propaganda from my parents, and was the reason why i was in young republicans in high school and voted for W in '00. eventually realized that a political ideology based on an immaterial difference in income is just the stupidest f***ing thing, and also saw how gleeful it made republicans to criminalize their own citizens over non-violent drug offenses, and in 2009 that was that. i turned into a gay frog or whatever it is.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:32 am

Uh, I've seen plenty of posts asking why cops need to have fire arms, why are they scared when walking up to your care window, etc, etc.
Plenty of posts in here saying Cops don't need firearms? That's just lunacy on a lunacy level. THe somewhere in between means they can be and should have a heightened sense of alert whenever they approach a vehicle.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:41 am

Plenty of posts in here saying Cops don't need firearms? That's just lunacy on a lunacy level. THe somewhere in between means they can be and should have a heightened sense of alert whenever they approach a vehicle.
:thumb:

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:46 am

Yeah, being personally consumed by sociopolitical goings on is not a sign that you are a positive contributor and the converse of that is not white privilege...
Who said it was?

Being able to "help when we can" and "not let SJ issues consume our lives" really is in the definition of white privilege. Others can't NOT let it consume their lives because it IS their lives. That's the point?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:41 am

There shouldn’t even be an offer extended to any Republican to be included in a 1/6 commission. Even Mittens.

Their party is inherently responsible for the events leading up to 1/6 and the act itself. Every single one of them is complicit - and I don’t think the purity test from this article means anything. They should all be excluded until the moment they break ties with a terrorist organization.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:49 am

Who said it was?

Being able to "help when we can" and "not let SJ issues consume our lives" really is in the definition of white privilege. Others can't NOT let it consume their lives because it IS their lives. That's the point?
And that's not saying you're a bad person, or failing, etc.
White privilege literally is the ability to see short comings in the world and not have to worry about, because seldom do they apply to you. And it's not even like people who are non-white would say they're unhappy perpetually because of those short comings. Many go about their life the best they can despite that uphill climb and don't dwell on it.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:58 am

To placate the shafs and freddys of the group (and because its also true...)

There is a lot of white liberal guilt and wokeness that leads to unhappiness. Some of it is warranted (see Shmenguin post above) and some isn't. A lot of "woke libs" have a habit of being more offended than the victim. Doesn't surprise me at all that so many consider themselves unhappy.
Good post. Sometimes I feel like people want me to feel guilty for being happy and enjoying my blessings, and that the fact that I don't makes me a bad person.