Politics And Current Events

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:35 am

So right, racism is bad, but racism against white people is actually the main problem going on.

DEI is annoying, but annoying =/= racist

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:47 am

I don't remember the comedian's name, but I saw a clip that I thought was pretty good and spot on.... he said he's a 47 year old, cis, straight, white guy, and he's heard complaints about how it's hard these days to be a middle aged, straight, cis, white guy. He said let me say, it's not hard or difficult. What it is: it's just not as good as it used to be.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:15 pm

Let's not kid ourselves here, it's still pretty f**king great. It's like the Louis CK bit; I'm not saying white people are better, it's just that being white is clearly better. There's so much s**t people of color take as a given part of existence that we as whities simply never even have to contemplate unless we make a conscious choice to engage. And at that, it's generally in the abstract.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:28 pm

Hubba Hubba
Sorry.
Very sorry.
I feel shame.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:52 pm

Why?

I think the only reason DJT hired her is because she looks like Ivanka...................... I guess I should say 'enough like'.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:53 pm

hmmm ...

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:59 pm

Would

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:14 pm

Why?

I think the only reason DJT hired her is because she looks like Ivanka...................... I guess I should say 'enough like'.
She's all plastic and injections.

I'm not into the fish lips look.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:24 pm

So right, racism is bad, but racism against white people is actually the main problem going on.

DEI is annoying, but annoying =/= racist
DEI is not racist but racism can sometimes disguise itself as DEI

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:25 pm

Why?

Who the F is she. Looks like a babe to me

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:31 pm

Why?

Who the F is she. Looks like a babe to me
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alina_Habba

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:44 pm

She'd probably bite it off if you tried.

A former server at the Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster has filed a lawsuit against the club in New Jersey, alleging that she was sexually harassed by her manager and then pressured to sign an illegal non-disclosure agreement by Alina Habba, who is now an attorney for the former president.

The woman, Alice Bianco, alleged in the lawsuit that she was given “very short uniform skirts” to wear by her boss Pavel Melichar. Bianco, who was 21 at the time, alleged that Melichar, who was in his mid-50s, showered her with gifts and coerced her to engage in sex in exchange for “protection” and job security.

When Bianco rejected advances, she alleges, Melichar retaliated against her by giving her “unfair job assignments and allowing his henchmen to abuse her and steal her tips.”

Melichar is not named as a defendant in the lawsuit. He has not responded to CNN’s requests for comment.

Bianco soon learned that one of her colleagues planned to write a letter to Donald Trump’s personal staff about the “toxic and sexist work environment” at the club, according to the lawsuit, so Bianco shared her experience with that colleague, who included Bianco’s alleged harassment in the letter.

Soon after the letter was delivered, Bianco said she was approached in July 2021 by Habba – who was a member of the Bedminster club but didn’t legally represent Trump at the time. According to the lawsuit, Habba “acted as if Ms. Bianco was her friend,” urging Bianco to fire her lawyer and offering to give Bianco advice.

Bianco is seeking to stop the Bedminster club from enforcing the NDA, pay her legal fees, and refer Habba to the New Jersey Office of Attorney Ethics. She is not seeking any additional penalties.

“Alina Habba used the unethical silencing of my client, Ali Bianco, as a way to propel herself into Trump’s inner circle,” Bianco’s lawyer Nancy Erika Smith said in a statement to CNN. Smith said that Habba “knew Bianco had a lawyer but targeted and manipulated her to enter into an agreement favorable to Trump … for a fraction of what a typical settlement would be for these claims.”

In a statement to CNN, Habba said: “I always conduct myself ethically and acted no differently in this circumstance.”

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:58 pm

Hubba Hubba
Sorry.
Very sorry.
I feel shame.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:01 am

DEI is racist. Those who say it's not don't understand the underpinnings and goals of DEI. It's the praxis for critical social-justice theory.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:25 am

@Shyster Have you taken any DEI training? I've taken a few over the last couple years and the last thing I would consider it as is racist.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:57 am

I sense a wall of crt text incoming

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:14 am

@Shyster Have you taken any DEI training? I've taken a few over the last couple years and the last thing I would consider it as is racist.

Minimally. We had a DEI presentation and a survey, but fortunately the management of my firm doesn't really believe in that bullcrap. We only did the DEI stuff so that we could say "yes" if a client or would-be client asks if we have a DEI program.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:41 am

That’s why every company does dei stuff

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:59 am

Can someone accidentally nuke Davos?

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/17/jamie-d ... biden.html
JPMorgan Chase
CEO Jamie Dimon on Wednesday praised former President Donald Trump’s record and admonished Democrats to be “more respectful” of Trump’s supporters, or else risk hurting President Joe Biden’s reelection bid.
Dimon also gave Trump credit for his policy record.

“Take a step back, be honest. He was kind of right about NATO, kind of right on immigration. He grew the economy quite well. Trade tax reform worked. He was right about some of China.”

“He wasn’t wrong about some of these critical issues, and that’s why they voted for him,” Dimon said.

Asked which candidate would be better for his business, Dimon said, “I have to be prepared for both. I will be prepared for both. We will deal with both.”

“And I hope whoever it is will be respectful of other people,” he added.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:11 am

Someone wants to be Treasury Secretary.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:13 am

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/01/1 ... s-00136037

My god, a business guy that has actually read some history.
If it comes down to Trump versus President Joe Biden as expected, the SkyBridge Capital founder said business leaders should back the sitting president. Biden’s too old to be commander in chief in Scaramucci’s view, but “he’s got a great staff, and they’ve done a good job.”

With regard to Trump, Scaramucci said business titans are failing to study political history.

“The business leaders were generally okay with Mussolini. They were generally okay with Hitler. Until it goes crazy,” he said. “Then five years into it the cronyism kicks in, the unpredictability of the law kicks in, the expansion of autocratic powers kicks in. ... [Trump] has told you he wants to be a dictator. He has told you that he wants to expand the executive powers. He has told you he’s going to go after his enemies.”

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:10 am

There's nothing Jamie Dimon loves more in this world than the sound of his own voice.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:26 am

Can someone accidentally nuke Davos?

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/17/jamie-d ... biden.html
JPMorgan Chase
CEO Jamie Dimon on Wednesday praised former President Donald Trump’s record and admonished Democrats to be “more respectful” of Trump’s supporters, or else risk hurting President Joe Biden’s reelection bid.
Dimon also gave Trump credit for his policy record.

“Take a step back, be honest. He was kind of right about NATO, kind of right on immigration. He grew the economy quite well. Trade tax reform worked. He was right about some of China.”

“He wasn’t wrong about some of these critical issues, and that’s why they voted for him,” Dimon said.

Asked which candidate would be better for his business, Dimon said, “I have to be prepared for both. I will be prepared for both. We will deal with both.”

“And I hope whoever it is will be respectful of other people,” he added.
Wonder how much they stand to lose from not being able to gouge people with overdraft fees.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:40 am

One story on this recently cited a number of around $8 billion. So that's the overall size of the pie, industry-wide, not sure how much of that is meant to be eliminated.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:51 am

Overdraft fees has been a focus of regulators for years.

Most of the big banks have scaled back those practices due the scrutiny and getting dinged on UDAAP for the practice.

One, I don't think many people actually understand what "overdraft protection" is, if they did, they wouldn't want it.

The scrutiny has helped though, banks were doing shitty things. Like ordering transactions by size instead of time (processing the larger transaction first) or multiple fees when a merchant keeps trying to push the transaction through after decline for NSF (not sufficient funds), and then dinging the customer for each time they try to overdraw.

Which is just to say, the CFPB has done good things to stop banks from shitty practices, but this is a little overboard (same with the credit card late fees)