Politics And Current Events

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:58 pm

There were very few Trump signs in my neighborhood during the election. I can remember at least 3 houses. Those houses took down their signs shortly after the election was officially called. There were plenty of Biden signs too (also taken down after the election). I wouldn't put up a political sign but I get it. I got no problem with them as long as they're gone following the election.
Tell me you live in a good neighborhood without actually telling me you live in a good neighborhood...
Don't forget this is the same neighborhood where I've had to wear a mask on walks for the past year. Thankfully that seems to be done with.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:00 pm

No you haven't... you chose to do that.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:01 pm

Sure it wasn't a law or anything, but nobody wants to be that one dadhole. After our first walk without masks and all the stink eyes, it was easier to bring along a mask and throw one on when passing somebody.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:01 pm

Oh and sh*t like this? This is what 1/6 has become, this is an event that should never be allowed to be white washed like this, and it's a travesty so many people believe this guy. Specifically the unarmed person being killed while being unarmed.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:04 pm

Sure it wasn't a law or anything, but nobody wants to be that one dadhole. After our first walk without masks and all the stink eyes, it was easier to bring along a mask and throw one on when passing somebody.
Or just move to the street quick or cross the street like we did through most of it.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:05 pm

Oh and sh*t like this? This is what 1/6 has become, this is an event that should never be allowed to be white washed like this, and it's a travesty so many people believe this guy. Specifically the unarmed person being killed while being unarmed.

GG is committed to the bit.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:09 pm

No harm no foul. Just goofing around.

Would have been better for the country if a congressman or pence got whacked.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:29 pm

Lottery ticket sales increases due to stimmy checks!

In this coronavirus economy, Patricia Outing said she’s turned to the South Carolina lottery to find some extra cash.

“I play because I need to pay my bills. I got rent, I got a car payment,” Outing said outside a Columbia convenience store April 29 while browsing through her handful of recently purchased scratch tickets.

“I buy a lot,” she said.

Players like Outing are buying lottery tickets at a record-breaking clip.

Fresh off a year where ticket sales eclipsed $2 billion for the first time, the S.C. lottery is already 15 percent ahead of that record pace this year.

Lottery officials and experts say sales have boomed with three rounds of federal economic stimulus checks and reduced discretionary spending from the COVID-19 pandemic.

But how long the lottery sales spike will last is unclear.

“It’s not going to be a recurring thing, and it’s possible that people viewed the money in the stimulus checks really as a one-time bonanza,” said Charles Clotfelter, a Duke University economics professor who studies lottery trends. “And so maybe they were more willing to part with that.”

Hogan Brown, the commission’s executive director, said it’s too early for the continued growth to be attributed exclusively to the federal assistance issued since January.

South Carolina credited its strong performance last year to the first round of $1,200 stimulus checks issued last spring, and joins several other states that have seen unprecedented annual growth in their lotteries.

South Carolina sold a record high $2.1 billion in tickets in the year that ended in June 2020, up 6 percent from the $1.98 billion from the previous year.

The S.C. lottery set records in prize winnings ($1.4 billion), retailer commissions ($148 million) and education funding ($492 million).

The lottery’s most recent financial reports show that momentum is continuing.

February monthly gaming revenues reached $186 million — a 7.5 percent jump from February 2020, which was a month before the pandemic began, according to the latest data available.

And through eight months of the current fiscal year, collections have passed $1.5 billion. Sales are growing at more than twice the rate than the previous year.
https://www.postandcourier.com/columbia ... b1e0a.html

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:45 pm

Ah yes, responsible decision makers.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:57 pm

As an aside about journalism, I use the Grammarly plugin for Chrome. It spazzed out at that quote I posted. Typos, unclear sentences, spelling errors, and so on. :lol:

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:46 pm

https://www.penncapital-star.com/govern ... onference/

PA State Senator and PA Supreme Court candidate scheduled to appear at QAnon conference.

Reminds me of a poster for an indie wrestling show.

Surprise guest will totally be the Undertaker with that event name. :lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat May 01, 2021 6:16 am

Manchin wants DC statehood to be a constitutional amendment. Of course he does.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat May 01, 2021 9:09 am

Imagine having the opportunity to change history for good faith reasons and you’re shy about it because you want to go to the right parties after you retire.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat May 01, 2021 9:13 am

Yes, imagine...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat May 01, 2021 9:20 am

Not positive, but I think that’s a signal that it’s too dramatic of a statement.

We’re still in the middle of something extremely hairy. In 10 years time, it’s not really known what our system of government will be and if 40k votes went the wrong way last fall, Id be looking for any way possible to leave this place.

It’s fine. Not gonna convince anyone on a Saturday morning. But more guardrails need put up to prevent republicans from taking power. DC statehood should happen anyway. But right now, it needs to - urgently.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat May 01, 2021 9:26 am

Manchin’s going to wind up being the guy who **** over the rest of the nation just to play nice with the right.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat May 01, 2021 9:38 am

Manchin’s going to wind up being the guy who **** over the rest of the nation just to play nice with the right.
Our influence on global alt right terrorism shouldn’t be downplayed either. Letting it fester and thrive here is a big fat problem for western society at large.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat May 01, 2021 9:44 am

Our influence on global alt right terrorism shouldn’t be downplayed either. Letting it fester and thrive here is a big fat problem for western society at large.
Nothing to see here, apparently. Saw a flurry of **** on Twitter yesterday about people (including politicians) furious over not naming the office that shot the crazy woman trying to break through the door at the Capitol.

This is where these people are at. It’s embarrassing and pisses me off. Nobody has a backbone anymore, and none of these people give a **** about anyone else. Just one big festering wound.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat May 01, 2021 9:59 am

‘Monster’ fatberg blocks Birmingham sewer

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... gham-sewer

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Sat May 01, 2021 10:41 am

It’s fine. Not gonna convince anyone on a Saturday morning. But more guardrails need put up to prevent republicans from taking power. DC statehood should happen anyway. But right now, it needs to - urgently.
:?

How very authoritarian of you. Trump would be proud.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Sat May 01, 2021 11:07 am

'Elected official acts in a way that represents the constituents that elected him instead of in lockstep with the letter after his name...and that makes him bad' may be one of the more interesting takes in this thread.

Give me more Manchins on both sides please. Most of the country is moderate (a little of this side and a little of that side) yet is grossly underrepresented in the current political system.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat May 01, 2021 12:28 pm

:?

How very authoritarian of you. Trump would be proud.
Guardrails like voting access for your political enemies, guy

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sat May 01, 2021 12:38 pm

GOP will use culture war to fight back against Biden's plans:
Key GOP voices are accusing Biden of engaging in a stealth attempt to reshape American life, trying to reframe their opposition to the plan away from dollars and cents toward the culture-war terrain on which they have recently been much more politically successful.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Thursday responded to Biden’s pitch, made in a joint address to Congress, by declaring that the new administration “wants to jack up taxes in order to nudge families toward the kinds of jobs Democrats want them to have, in the kinds of industries Democrats want to exist, with the kinds of cars Democrats want them to drive, using the kinds of child-care arrangements that Democrats want them to pursue.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... main-0430b

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sat May 01, 2021 12:38 pm

Ha, my wife told me today some woman yelled "put a mask on you **** NTP66" at her as she passed her on the sidewalk while walking to her car the other day. Ironically, the day after Biden said you didn't need to wear a mask outside.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat May 01, 2021 12:39 pm

Manchin wants DC statehood to be a constitutional amendment. Of course he does.
Neither the creation of the original federal district, nor the admission of any new state was subject to the amendment process. He can go pound sand. (The Constitution specifically enumerates the power for the latter act to the Congress, in typically vague fashion)

And I say that as someone who is resoundingly 'meh' on DC statehood.