Politics And Current Events

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:40 am

All of society is canted towards making sure you have what you need and you're pissed the silver platter isn't buffed to a high enough shine.
pantherlair is dodinting the game tickets are too high for the Clemson game this weekend, a game that Pitt fans have been saying they'd kill to have with 2 top 25 teams and one of the biggest brands over the last 6 years. No one can ever be happy.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:42 am

You know something isn't working how it should when it makes more sense for my wife to just not work while the kids were younger versus work and paying for child care.
You guys are old timey too?
Now I think I'm confused, what exactly do you mean by only timey?

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:43 am

You know something isn't working how it should when it makes more sense for my wife to just not work while the kids were younger versus work and paying for child care.
I think he meant you have a wife staying at home with the kids while you go to the mill and work.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:46 am

I think he meant you have a wife staying at home with the kids while you go to the mill and work.
Oh, I guess it was more in line with I have the benefits so I'm going to continue work. I wish I could have stayed home. **** this work nonsense.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:54 am

It wasn't my word.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:59 am

10 times out of 10 I want my family watching my kids when they were younger. I don't know if that's old fashioned or not, but for our situation it felt ridiculous to be working for child care and not having much of an income outside of that, so what's the point, ya know?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:03 pm

It's very narrow-minded to assume that I don't have children in my life. I bet I deal more with children than you do with guns. :lol:
Ok. Detail out the schematics of parenting then. Being cool uncle dodint and hearing 2nd hand accounts from friends and family is what we all used to be before we bred. We knew what it’s like to “deal with children”. And then we had children and realized we didn’t know anything. What an interesting attempt at establishing credentials.
It would be silly to say that I know what it's like to be a parent. It's also ignorant to say that I have no concept of what parenting is. You compared it to someone that is anti-gun who has no practical experience with handling firearms. That's a very weak comparison.

I only bother to acknowledge the absurdity of it because there is a popular conception that DINK/Childfree people just wander through life from one leisure spot to the next. As if we don't have similar struggles and pressures. We're labeled as selfish because we don't want to contribute to the kids you had but can't afford; amazing. All of society is canted towards making sure you have what you need and you're pissed the silver platter isn't buffed to a high enough shine.
Maybe pause to accept that, again “I” want nothing. It’s absurd that you’re subsidizing my expenses. So we can dispense with the silver platter theory. This is about helping struggling families who made the standard decision to start a family. I won’t restate what CBear said. It’s all there. It’s not just about bleeding hearts. It’s about sustaining society. The DINKs and libertarians here act with little interest regarding what the country looks like once they aren’t a part of it anymore. There’s a consistent through line of not seeing beyond your own nose.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:10 pm

We part ways at 'standard decision.'

I don't think we're that far apart, really. I'd just prefer my tax dollars not to discriminate. I'd prefer the money going to the absurd military to be rerouted to all families. I'd prefer the entitlement bureaucracy to be abolished in favor of an easy to administer UBI. I can't have those things so I bang away on a message board to distract myself from life. A huge portion of this country would prefer to live in squalor than see themselves and someone else supported by the tax dollars that they (maybe?) pay. It's so stupid.

Child Tax Credit isn't the worst use of funds, but it does perpetuate a broken system and doesn't address the core problem of life being too expensive for a large swath of the public despite us living in a pretty well-off country.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:38 pm

The evolution of your thinking over the years is impressive and I disagree with nothing in that post.

…but I’ll add that it should start by aggressively extracting wealth from the tax dodging hoarding class. I agree with the sentiment of “there should be no such thing as a billionaire” in this climate. It’s a significant amount of money that’s just taken out of society and put in a box for theoretical further use. It’s an obscene evolution of capitalism that Bezos is a thing. I think most of these guys are some of the most impressive humans in history and deserve more wealth than the rest of us. But when you have literally no use for money anymore, it means you’ve capped out and it’s time to invest in your society.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:40 pm

I mentioned a while back that watching how people reacted to COVID broke me as a Libertarian. Also, we're never going to not spend the money so I've shifted from 'small government' to 'at least give the people what they've paid for.'

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:44 pm

I don't give one liquid hot s**t how much it costs you (royal) to raise a child.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:46 pm

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:28 pm

I don't give one liquid hot s**t how much it costs you (royal) to raise a child.
And nor should you, but that doesn't change the fact that the system is broken (like just about everything else)

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:43 pm

Has bezos not invested in his society?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:48 pm

People are going to **** when they find out their tax refund isn't as high.
I've been wondering about that.
I've warned my wife - who despite being much more intelligent than I, would rather get a big refund in February than have more money in our paychecks every par period - "because we'll just spend it." I'd rather not use Uncle Sam as a no-interest-rate savings bank, but she won't have it. :lol:

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:48 pm

Eat the rich, blah blah blah...

The guy could give out $10 million in scholarships and people will say it could have been $10.5 million...it's tough to shake the "rich" designation, the scarlet dollar sign, if you will, in today's climate...

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:06 pm

the scarlet dollar sign
I see you

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:09 pm

With Bezos we're not talking about 'rich'. I saw a thing were his personal fortune would make him the 56th richest country..... and not 'country' in the sense of random nation-states that popped up post-colonialism. Places you've heard of, like Luxembourg and oil-rich Qatar. That's his checking account. Guy's funding joyrides to space for giggles. Bezos could donate $10 million and not ever realize it.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:36 pm

10 mill out of 200 billion is insufficient and worthy of complaint - yes.

Bezos’ wealth is obscene. “Eat the rich” is for millennials who struck out after college and hate people that didn’t. I respect the hell out of Bezos and Musk. But they have too much. It needs recalibrated. And a functioning federal govt wouldn’t have let it spiral like it has.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:37 pm

Right. Without getting deep into it, he had a world-changing idea and now he's exceedingly wealthy. He also gives a ton back...more than most people even make...the relative-to-his-wealth part doesn't matter...

https://www.philanthropy.com/article/je ... ns-of-2020

This guy isn't your enemy, pinkos...I know you wish you thought of the idea, and that you would only give yourself a $20,000 a year salary if you were CEO of your version of Amazon and you'd donate all of the rest to orphaned, vegetarian, non-binary panda bears or whatever...but, again, you didn't think of the idea and the guy that did donates more to a lot of your causes than you'll ever make in your lifetime, even if you hit the lottery...shut it.
Last edited by mikey on Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:37 pm

Has bezos not invested in his society?
I put a penny in the tray at 7-11. I consider myself a giver.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:38 pm

Right. Without getting deep into it, he had a world-changing idea and now he's exceedingly wealthy. He also gives a ton back...more than most people even make...the relative-to-his-wealth part doesn't matter...

https://www.philanthropy.com/article/je ... ns-of-2020

This guy isn't your enemy, pinkos...I know you wish you thought of the idea, and that you would only give yourself a $20,000 a year salary if you were CEO of your version of Amazon and you'd donate all of the rest to orphaned, vegetarian, non-binary panda bears or whatever...but, again, you didn't think of the idea and the guy that did donates more to a lot of your causes than you'll ever make in your lifetime, even if you hit the lottery...
Wrong audience.

www.reddit.com is what you were looking for.

Get out of the black and white on this. It’s a losing strategy.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:39 pm

His idea also created employment for 950,000 people. But that doesn't count as a societal investment

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:40 pm

There's hope yet, maybe he'll put $150 in the stocking of every gonna-be-a-net-negative round of kids coming up...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:41 pm

Whaaaaat?!!! What the hell are you talking about.

ITT - starting a business for personal gain is an act of philanthropy. Jesus. Carry that water, man.