Politics And Current Events

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed May 12, 2021 2:58 pm

I'll take "How Could This Possibly Go Wrong" for $1000 Alex

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/anim ... -be-killed

New Idaho law allows killing up to 90 percent of state’s wolves

this people are morons. your cattle getting picked off isn't as important as destroying ecosystems

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed May 12, 2021 3:12 pm

I'll take "How Could This Possibly Go Wrong" for $1000 Alex

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/anim ... -be-killed

New Idaho law allows killing up to 90 percent of state’s wolves

this people are morons. your cattle getting picked off isn't as important as destroying ecosystems
Screw you and your plant based burgers. :pop:

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed May 12, 2021 3:18 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/world/israeli-a ... -if-needed

Top Hamas leader killed in airstrike. Getting messy over there (not that it hasn't always been messy).

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed May 12, 2021 3:19 pm

what could possibly go wrong?

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed May 12, 2021 3:20 pm

Who knew that deciding to wear those leggings would only be her second biggest mistake of the day.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed May 12, 2021 3:20 pm

Why are people this dumb? Why do these people get to vote?

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed May 12, 2021 3:24 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/us/oklahoma-cit ... -fragility

Thoughts on the government banning critical race theory being taught in their schools?

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed May 12, 2021 3:24 pm

Who knew that deciding to wear those leggings would only be her second biggest mistake of the day.
Next time I get gas I'm going to fill in grocery bags and tupperware.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed May 12, 2021 3:32 pm

I'm withholding judgment until Dewayne Haskins chimes in on the matter.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Wed May 12, 2021 3:44 pm

I like the Trash can appropriately placed.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed May 12, 2021 3:44 pm

Thoughts on the government banning critical race theory being taught in their schools?
I've not looked up what critical race theory is, but we can all agree it's bad to ban talking about how poorly black people were and are treated, right? Native Americans, latinos, the Irish, Asian Americans... all of them. Why would you not want to teach it?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed May 12, 2021 3:52 pm

if you asked 100 people what critical race theory is you'd probably get 100 different answers

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed May 12, 2021 3:54 pm

I've not looked up what critical race theory is, but we can all agree it's bad to ban talking about how poorly black people were and are treated, right? Native Americans, latinos, the Irish, Asian Americans... all of them. Why would you not want to teach it?
Based on the law, they are still allowed to teach that.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed May 12, 2021 3:55 pm

I’m a reasonable man. Very rarely do I wish misfortune on people. I hope this woman passed out from the fumes and smashed her car into a bridge abutment

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed May 12, 2021 4:04 pm

Based on the law, they are still allowed to teach that.
Oh, okay... so what does the law prohibit from being taught?

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Wed May 12, 2021 4:07 pm

Next time I get gas I'm going to fill in grocery bags and tupperware.
Late to the party again NAN. :lol:

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed May 12, 2021 4:09 pm

I’m a reasonable man. Very rarely do I wish misfortune on people. I hope this woman passed out from the fumes and smashed her car into a bridge abutment
Some say she cracked the I-40 bridge in Arkansas...

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed May 12, 2021 4:45 pm

The law prohibits teaching that is designed to make one race, gender, etc. feel superior to another or guilt over what past members of their demographic have done historically.

Critical Race Theory basically says that American law is fundamentally designed for those in power to stay in power, the oppressors will maintain their power, and, as is pretty obvious, the output of the Second Continental Congress and just about everything downstream has defined those oppressors/power brokers to be rich, white, land owning males. So society has been Whites in power trying to hold down specifically the Black race.

Over the years nuggets may have been thrown to those who were oppressed, be it citizenship or voting rights, but society is still constructed as such. Black codes, redlining, the gender pay disparity would all speak to that. Even the crack/cocaine epidemic many experienced in our lifetime is racially desperate.

What has conservative knickers in a twist, I believe, is that by somehow recognizing that history and finding modern day examples, we are guilting those who are oppressors by association simply because they share the same sex or skin tones as those offenders. I think you can absolutely teach young people this history and challenge them to be better than their ancestors and to learn from that history. It doesn't mean they themselves should feel shame, or be ashamed to be a certain demographic, i.e. minimizing white guilt.

Likewise, the legislature passing the law is quite obviously supplying additional fuel to those that espouse CRT. White elites are going to make you tip toe a line when teaching OK history, such as Black Wall Street or the Tulsa Massacre, or Native American history for that matter which is especially important in the state (although CRT does typically center on Black v White). Heaven forbid it shows your grandfather in a negative light and worsen your opinion of him.

We live in a time of extremes:
a) America is the greatest country in history and so what if we broke a few eggs on the way to the worlds greatest omelet.
or
b) The cooks of our ancestors were murderers and America is worthless and should fall into the sea.

The truth is in the middle, that people are flawed, are all sinners (if you like the religious vernacular), and are capable of beautiful or horrible things. And what we may see as beautiful today may appear horrible by the lens of the 22nd century.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed May 12, 2021 4:52 pm

People are flawed indeed. This page has a few flaring examples of that

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed May 12, 2021 5:08 pm

Thanks @@CBear3 . That was a great response.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed May 12, 2021 5:09 pm

People are flawed indeed. This page has a few flaring examples of that
Don't knock the grocery/tupperware gas fillup until you tried it.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 12, 2021 5:35 pm

America's history isn't super different from other western nations. Slavery happened all over - we just kept it going longer. Our brand of violent imperialism doesn't sound worse than Belgium's or England. We've also benefited from borderline slave labor like other nations have. So I'm sympathetic to the position that we're just following the playbook like everyone else - and just do it better, with more abundant natural resources to make us a powerhouse. And I think most issues that people think are signs of racism are actually signs of classism.

But I think there's this thing with the contemporary power dynamic that makes us uniquely terrible. The political party that makes up 46% of the country would prefer that people of color not vote, and design programs to explicitly make that a reality. I think this is a uniquely American disgrace, and shows that we haven't actually passed the same morality test that our peer nations have. Large swaths of people are purposefully disenfranchised by actual major institutions because of their skin color or sexuality. It's bananas that this is something that we have to deal with and yes - disqualifies us from any claim of even being a tier 1 nation, as far as morality goes. We're certainly not Saudi Arabia. But we have work to do.

Kane

Postby Kane » Wed May 12, 2021 5:42 pm

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed May 12, 2021 5:59 pm

lol

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed May 12, 2021 6:04 pm

Looks like gas is back on the menu