Politics And Current Events

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:41 am

But maybe if you're an outspoken opponent to guns rights activists and the NRA you shouldn't be using guns in the movies your making. :pop:

I've read this a lot since the incident, and I don't understand it. I mean, I'm pretty dead set against violence and sadistic killings in real life, but I write the **** out of them in my books. Does that make me a hypocrite too?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:48 am

If David Hogg used a firearm in a filmed add to promote gun policy reform, he deserved to have has stupid f***ing head blown off if the gun malfunctions. ESPECIALLY if he was paid for it.

Or something.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:02 am

The dancing on the grave of someone killed in a tragic accident is really sickening.
This was a tragic accident, and we'll most likely find out that it was 100% preventable, which makes it all the more depressing. I can't imagine what her family is going thru right now.

And of course we feel bad for Alec...of course. What a horrible thing to happen to someone. Of course you wouldn't wish that on anybody.............
But maybe if you're an outspoken opponent to guns rights activists and the NRA you shouldn't be using guns in the movies your making. :pop:

And I can't agree more that it's sickening to dance on graves...now do r/HermanCainAward
This is a very poor analogy and I would expect better from you.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:17 am

Nevada Republican who claimed someone stole dead wife’s ballot is charged with voter fraud

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:44 am

I've read this a lot since the incident, and I don't understand it. I mean, I'm pretty dead set against violence and sadistic killings in real life, but I write the **** out of them in my books. Does that make me a hypocrite too?
Ehh... books are a weird area to navigate. On one hand, certain novels are under attack for things like "racial undertones" (which more often than not are included for historical accuracy), on the other hand fictional writing doesn't have to be reflective of your beliefs...

I think the shyster point is don't be an anti gun advocate out of one side of your mouth and use them to pad your pockets out of the other side and expect to be taken seriously. Idk if that can be argued, especially since his "anti gun advocacy" was more about getting attention than anything else. Typical Hollywood elite
Last edited by King Colby on Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:44 am

You know what a movie is, right?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:44 am

:lol:

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:45 am

If David Hogg used a firearm in a filmed add to promote gun policy reform, he deserved to have has stupid f***ing head blown off if the gun malfunctions. ESPECIALLY if he was paid for it.

Or something.
The gun didn't malfunction, it actually did exactly what it was designed to do...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:48 am

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:16 pm

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:18 pm

The dancing on the grave of someone killed in a tragic accident is really sickening.
This was a tragic accident, and we'll most likely find out that it was 100% preventable, which makes it all the more depressing. I can't imagine what her family is going thru right now.

And of course we feel bad for Alec...of course. What a horrible thing to happen to someone. Of course you wouldn't wish that on anybody.............

And I can't agree more that it's sickening to dance on graves...now do r/HermanCainAward
This is a very poor analogy and I would expect better from you.
I know. I'm very disappointed in myself. I should've known better than to expect people to not be awful to one another, or use tragedy to pile on to people that they already didn't like. Silly me. I'll try to do better. :slug:

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:44 pm

People mocking Covid protocols, masks, vaccines, etc and then contracting Covid and dying due to their own stupidity is definitely the same thing as an actor discharging a gun he was told was safe to use by those on set responsible for such things.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:07 pm

Hmm...are you glorifying the violence and killings in your books, or are they portrayed as something negative/repulsive? Are the violence/sadism used by the characters as a way to combat/acheive something that he/she couldn't without it, or are they presented as weaknesses or character flaws that the reader would identify as such?

Admittedly, I have no idea what this movie is about. I'd imagine that Baldwin is a main character, and he was firing a gun. I don't think this makes it all the way to hypocrisy, just.....if you're that against the gun culture in this country, why emphasize guns as positive tools in your movies?

None of this is to suggest he deserves to get dragged all over social media. It's disgusting...but those who are feigning disbelief that as to the why? Come on, man.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:12 pm

None of this is to suggest he deserves to get dragged all over social media. It's disgusting...but those who are feigning disbelief that as to the why? Come on, man.
I get why it's happening. Baldwin is a first class d-bag and a face of the left, so I understand why people are getting their jollies off over this. But I saw the same argument used when Jamie Lee Curtis made the new Halloween and her character had become something of a gun nut. There were plenty of folks who called her hypocritical. I just don't understand why people can't separate art from life and real people from fictional characters. Or maybe they can separate and are merely blowing hard on the interwebs because it's something to do. Shrug.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:44 pm

Or something.
The gun didn't malfunction, it actually did exactly what it was designed to do...
Unclear if this impacts my argument

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:14 pm

I get why it's happening. Baldwin is a first class d-bag and a face of the left, so I understand why people are getting their jollies off over this. But I saw the same argument used when Jamie Lee Curtis made the new Halloween and her character had become something of a gun nut. There were plenty of folks who called her hypocritical. I just don't understand why people can't separate art from life and real people from fictional characters. Or maybe they can separate and are merely blowing hard on the interwebs because it's something to do. Shrug.
They can't. This is why they're actively scrubbing old shows that have recently been deemed insensitive

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:01 pm

She would definitely not like Mississippi for one reason that I can think of. Also:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:11 pm

So the woman who was the armorer on the Baldwin movie is the daughter of a guy who is sort of a legend in the movie firearm business. He's worked on some really big shows with A-list names (Eastwood, Tarantino, Mann, etc). So she grew up in the business, and has probably been on hot sets most of her life. But this movie was only her second gig as head armorer, and she previously expressed concerns about loading blank rounds. Good news! You didn't load blank rounds! :face:

Couple other things I've read: The same weapon had two accidental discharges on set on the same day a week or so ago. And the armorer handed the weapon to an assistant director who in turn handed it to the actor, which is in and of itself a major breach of safety (the gun should go from the armorer to the actor, no in-between handling). Without knowing further details of the situation that last bit sounds dodgy to me.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:37 pm

“Dodgy”?

…why were live rounds anywhere near the set? Is there some use for real ammo in certain scenes? Or was it Baldwin personally requesting it because he’s committed to the hypocrisy, based on the people here who are paid to make arguments in front of audiences?

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:07 pm

Baldwin needs the boom boom to be an actor.
I saw that paraphrased somewhere.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:17 pm

I read it from a guy who's favorite movies include a giant mechanical shark, computer generated dinosaurs, and aliens from the 1970s, tho.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:12 pm

Live rounds meaning projectile rounds would never be on a set. Live rounds in film terms usually means blanks. It could also mean some other specific style blank but would never ever be a projectile round. I’m very interested in learning if this is a situation like what happened on the Crow set with Brandon Lee or if it was a legit projectile round that somehow found it’s way on set. If it’s the latter, expect criminal charges against the armorer and possibly direction, producer, AD.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:46 pm

So the woman who was the armorer on the Baldwin movie is the daughter of a guy who is sort of a legend in the movie firearm business. He's worked on some really big shows with A-list names (Eastwood, Tarantino, Mann, etc). So she grew up in the business, and has probably been on hot sets most of her life. But this movie was only her second gig as head armorer, and she previously expressed concerns about loading blank rounds. Good news! You didn't load blank rounds! :face:

Couple other things I've read: The same weapon had two accidental discharges on set on the same day a week or so ago. And the armorer handed the weapon to an assistant director who in turn handed it to the actor, which is in and of itself a major breach of safety (the gun should go from the armorer to the actor, no in-between handling). Without knowing further details of the situation that last bit sounds dodgy to me.
Here she is:

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:13 pm

Lol C2i.

What happened was a preventable tragedy. Period. And I agree with others, this will not end well for the people in charge of that set/film. At least it shouldn't.
That is also Baldwin. It's his production company and he's the lead producer of the film. So if there was a on-set culture of negligence and disregard of safety rules, that is also his fault.

He's going to get his ass sued into oblivion. He not only pulled the trigger, it was his show.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:14 pm

Again, the need for pols and actors to score invisible points on social media continues to destroy discourse and the very fabric of our republic. This discussion would've been relegated to a couple of gun rights message boards. Now, it's everywhere. My teenagers were talking about it, ffs, because it was on their social media platforms (which seem to be right-leaning, FWIW, especially TikTok. Not sure if that's because of our geographic location or friends of theirs they follow).
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Welcome to what it feels like to be a gun owner after any mass shooting. Except then its usually Alec Baldwin who is ranting about "blood on their hands" and similar stuff.