Politics And Current Events

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue May 18, 2021 2:45 pm

I disagree. I don’t think chances of winning determines whether you run, it’s whether you have donor support to run a campaign. You know the Koch’s and the mercers are going to seed a candidate each to try and beat trump
cruz/hawley/rubio/desantis or any sitting politician can't run in '24 if Trump does. It means they lose, and they get primaried.

kasich could run, but i really think these guys don't want to deal with the Romney/Graham airport confrontations, the death threats, the hit pieces on Fox...there's just nothing to gain when the outcome is certain.
Nope. You are still thinking about this wrong. Trump does not have the network to influence these races. Rubio might get primaried becuase florida, but the others are safe.

I assume the premise of your argument is that if Cruz and Hawley dare challenge Trump, some GOP turd will run to the right (Trump) of him. And sure, I'm sure some idiot would do that, and Trump would endorse him. But what else is Trump going to do? Maybe one rally in the state where the turd introduces Trump, and then Trump gets on stage and rants about how unfair it was that they stole the election in 2020?

Trump does not like, steer donors and money to other people, he makes sure all the money comes to Trump. And it's not like he's going to push his small dollar donors to send money to some senate race.

This just goes to say that Trump is going to win, but he's limited in his ability to really control what other powerful or ambitious GOP figures can do.
Wrong but we'll see in a few years.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue May 18, 2021 3:36 pm

I love America and Its Headlines.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 18, 2021 3:38 pm

Yeah I don’t think you got that right.

Trump is going to be able to decide who gets primaried across the entire GOP. You’ll see these guys resign like Rob Portman before ceding their seat to the next JD Vance. And if they decide to run anyway, then Trump makes an appearance at a rally, and the Vance clone wins.

This doesn’t work in general elections. He’s poisonous like we saw in the GA runoff. But as far as deciding who among the GOP is invited to the show, it’s up to him.

He could end Cruz and Hawleys careers right now if he wanted to.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 18, 2021 3:39 pm

I love America and Its Headlines.

Politico is no different than the NY Post or Washington Examiner at this point.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue May 18, 2021 4:04 pm

Speaking of Trump.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue May 18, 2021 4:07 pm

Trump is going to be able to decide who gets primaried across the entire GOP. You’ll see these guys resign like Rob Portman before ceding their seat to the next JD Vance. And if they decide to run anyway, then Trump makes an appearance at a rally, and the Vance clone wins.

This doesn’t work in general elections. He’s poisonous like we saw in the GA runoff. But as far as deciding who among the GOP is invited to the show, it’s up to him.

:thumb:

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue May 18, 2021 4:08 pm

Speaking of Trump.

This tweet fits in with that nicely:

I'd laugh if it wasn't so goddamn sad.
viewtopic.php?p=931224#p931224

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue May 18, 2021 4:11 pm

You are both wrong. You're not like completely wrong, but your takes are less accurate than mine and that will be proven over time.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue May 18, 2021 4:12 pm

You are both wrong. You're not like completely wrong, but your takes are less accurate than mine and that will be proven over time.
<Bookmarked>

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue May 18, 2021 4:13 pm

I labeled it "troy loney bad prediction."

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 18, 2021 4:14 pm

Trump vs Cheney would be an interesting debate. How many of the 401k republicans are going to abide by the Bushes and Cheneys being dragged across the asphalt. When he’s forced to sh*t all over the last vestiges of the party they grew up with, are these voters gonna think of the corporate tax rate when November rolls around or are they gonna finally recognize what’s happening.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue May 18, 2021 4:18 pm

Trump vs Cheney would be an interesting debate. How many of the 401k republicans are going to abide by the Bushes and Cheneys being dragged across the asphalt. When he’s forced to sh*t all over the last vestiges of the party they grew up with, are these voters gonna think of the corporate tax rate when November rolls around or are they gonna finally recognize what’s happening.
That would be a fun race but I don's see her getting more than 20% of the GOP vote.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue May 18, 2021 4:21 pm

I labeled it "troy loney bad prediction."
Just to be clear, you and Shmenguin believe that the GOP prez hopefuls will clear the path for Trump to win the primary in 2024. I said another clown car, i would consider that to be ~10+ candidates for the GOP presidential nomination. I think this is the primary disagreement, the peripheral considerations about senate primaries are just an extension of that and there are too many individual situations there to apply a single consistent take over the landscape. And I would say that if it's Trump and 10 different anti-Trump candidates, I would be wrong. The crux of my take is that there is no room for Trump to push out all the candidates except the Cheney types.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue May 18, 2021 4:44 pm

I'd wager there's more MAGA than Cheney left.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 18, 2021 4:51 pm

10 anti trumps fighting for 30-40% of the vote, max. Eesh. Hogan's gonna have to locate his charisma if he wants to break single digits.

I think the wildcare here might be Christie. He's actually an authentic bully as$hole. There will be appeal. And he's a private citizen not concerned about the ickiness of being smeared. him being a lifelong big fat f*ck who's gonna be dead in 15 years anyway seems to have given him armor to not care what people think. So I could see him being an agent of chaos. But that would only disincentivize the Cruz's of the world to get abused in stereo.

Christie/Trump/Cheney would be a heck of a 3-way. But really, Cheney seems like a paper tiger. Makes a mean face, but there's no bite there. She'd get annihilated unless she just does the Kamala "here's my laughing face because i'm not smart enough to come up with a reply" thing.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue May 18, 2021 5:49 pm

The Cheney/Harris comparison is apt when you are thinking about their likely vote totals.

Cheney is a less likable, and less capitalized Jeb.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 18, 2021 5:59 pm

The Cheney/Harris comparison is apt when you are thinking about their likely vote totals.

Cheney is a less likable, and less capitalized Jeb.
Yeah, I think the Wyoming + Dad thing makes her out as some sort of tough maverick but she’s just legacy milquetoast.

Harris, I think, is going to end up being a colossal mistake as VP. She is going to be a terrible candidate for prez and hopefully soccer mom Twitter recognizes Klobuchar as more fit for the challenge.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue May 18, 2021 6:01 pm

She's the Black-Asian Dan Quayle.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 18, 2021 6:42 pm

No word on whether or not she is concerned.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue May 18, 2021 6:44 pm

She's the Black-Asian Dan Quayle.
I'm not a fan but I think you are underestimating her.

Quayle was an empty suit.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 18, 2021 6:53 pm

Kamala isn’t really any better. She just isn’t a meme for stupidity. She has no original ideas or the ability to win people over who aren’t already on her side. She is also pretending to be a nice wholesome person, and she has to keep up the charade for 4 years, which neuters her only actual quality - which is that she’s an effective at being confrontational.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue May 18, 2021 7:05 pm

Harris, I think, is going to end up being a colossal mistake as VP. She is going to be a terrible candidate for prez and hopefully soccer mom Twitter recognizes Klobuchar as more fit for the challenge.
I'll take Tammy Duckworth.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue May 18, 2021 10:05 pm

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 18, 2021 10:11 pm

Wake me when they actually charge and convict him of anything.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue May 18, 2021 10:15 pm

They’ll get some low level finance guy and close it down.