Politics And Current Events

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed May 12, 2021 11:16 am

The hatred shown to the working poor by the lower middle class is fascinating. I've been reading countless outraged comments from people regarding Chipotle moving their starting pay to $15 an hour. These folks are downright livid that kids with no skills are going to be making close to the same wages as they make at their real jobs. They are 100% convinced that service industry jobs making $15 an hour is the downfall of America and that it will convince skilled and educated workers to abandon their careers since they can make "just as much flipping burgers." Oh, and now a burrito is going to cost $20.
Maybe they should ask for a raise then. Don't be mad about the "unskilled" worker making almost the same as you. Be mad at your employer for not adequately paying you for your "skills."

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed May 12, 2021 11:17 am

Maybe they should ask for a raise then. Don't be mad about the "unskilled" worker making almost the same as you. Be mad at your employer for not adequately paying you for your "skills."
That never occurs to them. Or maybe it does and they're so fervent in their belief that increased wages = sky high cost of living that they're happy to accept whatever the man tells them they're worth.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed May 12, 2021 11:20 am

The hatred shown to the working poor by the lower middle class is fascinating. I've been reading countless outraged comments from people regarding Chipotle moving their starting pay to $15 an hour. These folks are downright livid that kids with no skills are going to be making close to the same wages as they make at their real jobs. They are 100% convinced that service industry jobs making $15 an hour is the downfall of America and that it will convince skilled and educated workers to abandon their careers since they can make "just as much flipping burgers." Oh, and now a burrito is going to cost $20.

The anger should be directed at their own employers for not paying them what they're actually worth, not the Chipotle workers now finally being paid for the work they do.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 12, 2021 11:20 am

They should lace up their bootstraps and apply for a better job. I hear Chipotle is hiring.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 12, 2021 11:23 am

Learn to code. Amirite?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed May 12, 2021 11:23 am

I'd love to hear what these "real jobs" are.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed May 12, 2021 11:26 am

I'd love. Looooooooooove, to trade in my job for a no-pressure food service gig if they're willing to pay me my current wage. :lol:

Full on Lester Burnham.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Wed May 12, 2021 11:27 am

I'd love. Looooooooooove, to trade in my job for a no-pressure food service gig if they're willing to pay me my current wage. :lol:

Full on Lester Burnham.
Legit asking, have you ever worked in food service?

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed May 12, 2021 11:28 am

Yeah food service is the **** worst. I'll stick with my office gig.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed May 12, 2021 11:28 am

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed May 12, 2021 11:31 am

if I was skilled at cooking I feel like I'd be more ok with a actual chef job, but I worked at Dunkin Donuts for a couple of weeks in high school and it was hell. Genuinely I would rather join the military than go back to fast food

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed May 12, 2021 11:31 am

The anger should be directed at their own employers for not paying them what they're actually worth, not the Chipotle workers now finally being paid for the work they do.
What are they "worth" though?? This gets thrown around a lot. Chipoltle feels their workers are worth more and they have the budget to do so, so they increased the wage. It may not reflect in another industry though.

Some businesses in the same industry though will either have to bump up their wages, get creative, or find ways to drive more revenues, etc if they want to get the best workers that may now go to Chipoltle. But if there is a computer coder (I'm just making this up) that you went to school, got education, but there is a giant market and you can get a more skilled worker for cheaper, or if you are some small business that can't keep up, it's not always as simple as saying "pay me more".

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed May 12, 2021 11:32 am

This whole conversation is baffling to me.

"Kids" aren't going to be working at Chipotle making $15/hour, anyway. It will be folks with no-work degrees that can't find legit labor in their career fields.

No "working poor single mother" with tats and meth scars is going to get hired at a high-end fast food place that caters to IT professionals and the like. The Bernie voters who eat at that place and drink their "fair trade" coffee don't want high school teenagers serving them lunch.

Besides Chipotle is terrible food.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Wed May 12, 2021 11:33 am

Im kinda sick of "what are small businesses gonna do!?"

If you can't pay a living wage don't hire a staff or don't start a business.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 12, 2021 11:33 am

Source of the post Besides Chipotle is terrible food.
This is your best post in this entire thread.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed May 12, 2021 11:34 am

If employers can't read the job market and keep up with competitive compensation without going under, then they shouldn't be in operation.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed May 12, 2021 11:34 am

This whole conversation is baffling to me.

"Kids" aren't going to be working at Chipotle making $15/hour, anyway. It will be folks with no-work degrees that can't find legit labor in their career fields.

No "working poor single mother" with tats and meth scars is going to get hired at a high-end fast food place that caters to IT professionals and the like. The Bernie voters who eat at that place and drink their "fair trade" coffee don't want high school teenagers serving them lunch.

Besides Chipotle is terrible food.
For a post complaining about other posts being baffling, this is really baffling.

"no-work degrees."
Chipotle = "high-end."
People who go there don't want "high school teenagers" serving them lunch.
Chipotle is "terrible food." Well, that one might be slightly less baffling.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed May 12, 2021 11:35 am

So basically only soulless multi-national corporations have the right to exist?

Business isn't charity.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed May 12, 2021 11:35 am

Full on Lester Burnham.
Yup. For several years.

If you're going to tell me the pressure of food service is on par with the rest of my resume, good luck.
It's not great work, for the money, but in this fantasy land I'm making six figures and my biggest annoyance is customers that plant their own hair in the food to try and get it for free.
The work can be challenging but the stakes are low.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed May 12, 2021 11:36 am

I didn't expect the Leftists in this thread to be all "we want Mega-Business to be the only business"...but here we are.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Wed May 12, 2021 11:36 am

Business isn't charity.
Yeah that's exactly what I said :roll:

If one cant afford something they shouldn't do/buy it

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Wed May 12, 2021 11:37 am

Full on Lester Burnham.
Yup. For several years.

If you're going to tell me the pressure of food service is on par with the rest of my resume, good luck.
It's not great work, for the money, but in this fantasy land I'm making six figures and my biggest annoyance is customers that plant their own hair in the food to try and get it for free.
The work can be challenging but the stakes are low.
Not where I was going with it at all.

I know people who have never worked in food service talk about it like its just easy peasy. You know what its like so you can make the informed statement.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed May 12, 2021 11:38 am

Business isn't charity.
This.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Wed May 12, 2021 11:39 am

I didn't expect the Leftists in this thread to be all "we want Mega-Business to be the only business"...but here we are.
Are you saying small businesses can only exist if they pay their workers a minimum wage? Maybe $10 an hour?

That's odd. I thought the good folk of the small business world were hard working. Why don't they just work for themselves. It'll save them the $10 an hour.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Wed May 12, 2021 11:40 am

Also thats ripe coming from someone who's income is based on other's charity.