Politics And Current Events

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 07, 2021 9:46 am

anus problem

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri May 07, 2021 9:47 am

i for one am curious if places like New York, LA, Boston, Chicago, DC and every major urban center where people are acting as though COVID exists are influencing the jobs reports. like...do the places where most of the people live impact statistics? no way to tell.

it's obviously a combination of artifacts from COVID and a malfunctioning incentive system for low-paying jobs. this doesn't seem like it's worth an argument, as there's no real cultural or hot political skew here. but sure, let's start calling each other out for reasons.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri May 07, 2021 9:49 am

That has been the general thought about the staffing crisis in our industry. That once the stimulus checks/unemployment benefits finally dry up, it will force people to reenter the workforce. It has been brutal lately.
I don't understand this (the sentiment, not you in particular, shaf).

Stimulus checks are gone. They were a paltry sum to begin with. I'm impressed if people are living on those amounts that were given to them over the course of the last year. Maybe the continual breeder funds have kicked in but you have to think that's a net zero when you consider the cost of having a kid.
Unemployment is also a very small sum. The $600 CARES Act plus up is long gone. Regular unemployment pays a fraction of what your prior wages were.
Do you really want people in your workforce that are okay with having the bare minimum quality of life just so they can avoid work?

Either a lot of people are incredibly frugal and milking the last bit of stimulus savings they were able to amass, or there is something else at play. I can only think of two things; lots of people are still not paying rent which won't bump earnings but will help the cash flow, or people are pushing a narrative because they don't like other people getting handouts. This despite everyone getting the stimulus, and unemployment being insurance.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri May 07, 2021 9:55 am

yeah, that's right. i always tell my wife that the jobs report is her fault because she took the year off to make sure our family stayed rolling.

your attempts at insults are weird
Your attempts at not understanding joking hashtags are also odd.

#lightenupfrancis

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri May 07, 2021 9:56 am

Yeah, the current Biden dole does not support the argument about the staffing crisis, it's 300/week, and I think that it's taxable? Not sure.

But the cares act, yeah, that was a payout for lots of folks. My dad was substitute teaching at some barely functioning mon-valley school district when the pandemic hit cause he has to supplement his SSN income, so he was immediately out of work. I think it took months for them to process his claim, but he said he got like a 20K lump sum for the back weeks when it was finally approved for funding.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri May 07, 2021 9:56 am

yeah, that's right. i always tell my wife that the jobs report is her fault because she took the year off to make sure our family stayed rolling.

#lightenupfrancis
how many times this calendar year do you think you made a joke that nobody else thinks is a joke, and then you act like it's everyone's failing for not recognizing your comedy chops?

hashtags don't mean what you think they mean. maybe that's where this all falls apart
Last edited by shmenguin on Fri May 07, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri May 07, 2021 9:56 am

I can't believe you guys think I have worse takes than Freddy
No one has worse takes than me. :lol:

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri May 07, 2021 9:57 am

#lightenupfrancis
how many times this calendar year do you think you made a joke that nobody else thinks is a joke, and then you act like it's everyone's failing for not recognizing your comedy chops?

hashtags don't mean what you think they mean. maybe that's where this all falls apart
Probably a couple thousand.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri May 07, 2021 9:58 am

That has been the general thought about the staffing crisis in our industry. That once the stimulus checks/unemployment benefits finally dry up, it will force people to reenter the workforce. It has been brutal lately.

Stimulus checks are gone. They were a paltry sum to begin with. I'm impressed if people are living on those amounts that were given to them over the course of the last year. Maybe the continual breeder funds have kicked in but you have to think that's a net zero when you consider the cost of having a kid.
Unemployment is also a very small sum. The $600 CARES Act plus up is long gone. Regular unemployment pays a fraction of what your prior wages were.
Do you really want people in your workforce that are okay with having the bare minimum quality of life just so they can avoid work?

Either a lot of people are incredibly frugal and milking the last bit of stimulus savings they were able to amass, or there is something else at play. I can only think of two things; lots of people are still not paying rent which won't bump earnings but will help the cash flow, or people are pushing a narrative because they don't like other people getting handouts. This despite everyone getting the stimulus, and unemployment being insurance.
Out of three stimuli I received somewhere around $15k total.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri May 07, 2021 10:00 am

The Stefanik story is doing a great job at reminding everyone that Trump wasn't actually impeached for the Ukraine episode, and Stefanik wasn't right there with Gaetz and Jordan the whole time and Cheney wasn't completely complicit in enabling 1/6 a year in advance. I'm glad I dreamt all that.

Everyone told us who they were 15 months ago. It's an amazing thing to just wash that all away because glorified bloggers need more clicks.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri May 07, 2021 10:03 am

Source of the post Out of three stimuli I received somewhere around $15k total.
Do you believe this to be "the norm"?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri May 07, 2021 10:10 am

No, because most people don't have 4 kids like Freddy :lol: (See the population decline articles earlier in this thread)

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri May 07, 2021 10:16 am

So Governor Henry "Foghorn Leghorn" McMaster - running for reelection in 2022 - is asking for SC to pull stop all Federal unemployment benefits by June 30, so the lazy will get back to work. From the gub'ner hisself:
South Carolina’s businesses have borne the brunt of the financial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. Those businesses that have survived—both large and small, and including those in the hospitality, tourism, manufacturing, and healthcare sectors—now face an unprecedented labor shortage.

This labor shortage is being created in large part by the supplemental unemployment payments that the federal government provides claimants on top of their state unemployment benefits. In many instances, these payments are greater than the worker’s previous paychecks. What was intended to be short-term financial assistance for the vulnerable and displaced during the height of the pandemic has turned into a dangerous federal entitlement, incentivizing and paying workers to stay at home rather than encouraging them to return to the workplace.

These federal entitlements pose a clear and present danger to the health of our State’s businesses and to our economy. Since the Biden administration and Congress appear to have little to no comprehension of the damage being done and no appetite to terminate the federal payments, theState of South Carolina must take action.

Accordingly, I hereby direct the Department of Employment and Workforce (DEW) to terminate the State of South Carolina’s participation in the Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC) program, the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) program, the pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) program, the Mixed Earner Unemployment Compensation (MEUC) program, the Emergency Unemployment Relief for governmental Entities and Non-profit Organizations program, and the Temporary FederalFunding of the First Week of Compensable Regular Unemployment for States with No Waiting Week program, effective June 30, 2021
Note the bolded part above. I love how he actually acknowledges how poorly some of these jobs pay.
Last edited by DigitalGypsy66 on Fri May 07, 2021 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri May 07, 2021 10:21 am

This is why I think the stimmy check argument is mostly stupid. There's not enough money to make it a month if you're a family, unless you're living free on rent and spacing out that food rations with 99 cent ramen noodles all the time.

I just don't think the money offered gets you far without a job.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri May 07, 2021 10:23 am

Yea, what? I think I received maybe 4 grand? I didn't even qualify for the last stimulus.

Which is fine, say you're a family of 4, have two car payments, a mortgage, and bills. If you have no job, that money isn't lasting long.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri May 07, 2021 10:28 am

So Governor Henry "Foghorn Leghorn" McMaster - running for reelection in 2022 - is asking for SC to pull stop all Federal unemployment benefits by June 30, so the lazy will get back to work. From the gub'ner hisself:
South Carolina’s businesses have borne the brunt of the financial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. Those businesses that have survived—both large and small, and including those in the hospitality, tourism, manufacturing, and healthcare sectors—now face an unprecedented labor shortage.

This labor shortage is being created in large part by the supplemental unemployment payments that the federal government provides claimants on top of their state unemployment benefits. In many instances, these payments are greater than the worker’s previous paychecks. What was intended to be short-term financial assistance for the vulnerable and displaced during the height of the pandemic has turned into a dangerous federal entitlement, incentivizing and paying workers to stay at home rather than encouraging them to return to the workplace.

These federal entitlements pose a clear and present danger to the health of our State’s businesses and to our economy. Since the Biden administration and Congress appear to have little to no comprehension of the damage being done and no appetite to terminate the federal payments, theState of South Carolina must take action.

Accordingly, I hereby direct the Department of Employment and Workforce (DEW) to terminate the State of South Carolina’s participation in the Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC) program, the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) program, the pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) program, the Mixed Earner Unemployment Compensation (MEUC) program, the Emergency Unemployment Relief for governmental Entities and Non-profit Organizations program, and the Temporary FederalFunding of the First Week of Compensable Regular Unemployment for States with No Waiting Week program, effective June 30, 2021
Not the bolded part above. I love how he actually acknowledges how poorly some of these jobs pay.
Montana did this too I think. It's the new declining medicaid thing for GOP states.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri May 07, 2021 10:34 am

No, because most people don't have 4 kids like Freddy :lol: (See the population decline articles earlier in this thread)
https://www.totalprosports.com/2021/05/ ... hild-pics/

Lev Bell trying to reverse that trend.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri May 07, 2021 10:36 am

This is why I think the stimmy check argument is mostly stupid. There's not enough money to make it a month if you're a family, unless you're living free on rent and spacing out that food rations with 99 cent ramen noodles all the time.

I haven't really heard anyone say it's stimmy check related. It's the unemployment pay that goes through September along with no rent, etc that has been pointed to.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri May 07, 2021 10:45 am

I mean, $2,000 bucks (the last trumpbux check plus bidenbux) equates to 166 hours worked at $12/hour. In other words, if you earn $12 an hour, you just got yourself at least 4 or 5 weeks worth of pay tax free.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri May 07, 2021 10:50 am

I haven't really heard anyone say it's stimmy check related. It's the unemployment pay that goes through September along with no rent, etc that has been pointed to.
Except to receive that extra money you have to have been let go as a result of COVID and your job hasn't been offered back to you.
My wife was unemployed for 10 weeks last year, but didn't qualify for the COVID unemployment bonus, and we took pay cuts early in the pandemic. I Figure that despite the ~$12k in stimulus our family of five received, we probably only broke even.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri May 07, 2021 10:51 am

I mean, $2,000 bucks (the last trumpbux check plus bidenbux) equates to 166 hours worked at $12/hour. In other words, if you earn $12 an hour, you just got yourself at least 4 or 5 weeks worth of pay tax free.
While true, I would bet on a larger portion of people treating that stimmy check as a spending spree rather than an educated financial decision.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri May 07, 2021 10:55 am

While true, I would bet on a larger portion of people treating that stimmy check as a spending spree rather than an educated financial decision.
Yeah, my youngest spending hers on door dash and tattoos.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri May 07, 2021 10:58 am

Except to receive that extra money you have to have been let go as a result of COVID and your job hasn't been offered back to you.
My wife was unemployed for 10 weeks last year, but didn't qualify for the COVID unemployment bonus, and we took pay cuts early in the pandemic. I Figure that despite the ~$12k in stimulus our family of five received, we probably only broke even.
And that is fine. (BTW, that sucks and best of luck to your family). People defininitely needed help during the pandemic and many people lost their jobs due to COVID and weren't asked back. In a lot of situations those jobs may not even exist anymore to be offered.

But now that things are opening up, there are jobs out there. A lot of them are starting to dig out as well, but need workers to do so. They do not have a bottomless well to print money. Some are trying to entice and fill the gap by offering signing bonuses. Or if you reach an anniversary, the owner of the Moes franchises in Pgh are giving free iphones, and also offering to pay up to $6,500 for community college to employees that want to attend if they work their for the full year. They want to entice and award loyal employees.

A lot of times people just look at the X amount of dollars per hour for a starting employee, but there are additional incentives a lot of times for loyal employees for low skill jobs that are totally ignored.

It's just a shitty situation all around for a lot of people at the end of the day though.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri May 07, 2021 11:28 am

The problem with the whole topic is that we can't answer how exactly people are paying the bills if they aren't working in manufacturing (like Frederick pointed out) or bus drivers (like I pointed out) or substitute teaching (like Loney's dad) or fast food (like everyone points out), how are they scraping by? At this point it is may, and if you were laid off at the start of the pandemic, there is a decent unemployment benefits and biden bucks can't get you through 14 months of life. So if you cant live off of stimulus, and you aren't getting money from a $12/hr job, how the hell are you living? I don't necessarily believe the notion that these people all got better paying jobs somewhere else.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Fri May 07, 2021 11:36 am

I do see more "help wanted" signs now than I did 18 months ago, but this worker shortage/people don't want to work problem has been developing for years. For a good 8 year stretch, 1 out of every 3 high school senior girls I photographed was planning to go to school to be a nurse. Yet for the last 2 years, both local hospitals have been begging for RNs, offering huge signing bonuses (up to $15K), etc. and still can't get help. Last I heard, the UMPC hospital in Somerset had 12 open positions for RNs and don't even receive applications.

When my dad was in a nursing home for much of 2019, they were bringing in nurses aids from other states to fill in for months on end because, again, there was no one locally who wanted the jobs and they were paying $14-18/hr. I have a friend who works in dietary at a local hospital and they usually have a crew of 10 but for the past 3 years have constantly been two to four short of that at any given time. This is a job that requires no experience and no education and which pays $13 an hour to start and they can't get help.

The pandemic and resulting bailouts might have accentuated this problem, but it did not create it.