Politics And Current Events

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:57 am

lol, Steve Bannon just got arrested.
Defrauded a bunch of donors. In all honesty, any donor that gave money to the “We Build the Wall” campaign deserves to be defrauded
I know of two family members who donated to that campaign. And yes, they deserve it.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:03 am

William Barr, my god. Obvious corruption from that scumbag

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:14 am

Defrauded a bunch of donors. In all honesty, any donor that gave money to the “We Build the Wall” campaign deserves to be defrauded
I know of two family members who donated to that campaign. And yes, they deserve it.
What a lineup

The advisory board includes Erik Prince, former CO congressman Tom Tancredo, Sheriff Dave Clarke and former pitcher Curt Schilling.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:17 am

The United States Postal Inspection Service assisted in the Bannon investigation.

lol

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:18 am

Does anyone not think that Trump directed Barr t squash this investigation? I mean it’s sooooooo ducking obvious at this point. In June they fired the NY Federal Attorney who happened to be in the middle of this case on Bannon.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:19 am

Does Donnie know how to pick campaign managers or what?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:22 am

The collected $25 million from rubes to build a **** wall.
Last edited by DigitalGypsy66 on Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:24 am

What a lineup

The advisory board includes Erik Prince, former CO congressman Tom Tancredo, Sheriff Dave Clarke and former pitcher Curt Schilling.
"They're all crooks!"

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:32 am

Do we get to call Barr a hack and be serious about it yet? There's some pretty blatant corruption happening in the justice side, that conveniently consists of all Trump related folk.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:35 am

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/20/judge-t ... cords.html
President Donald Trump’s effort to fight a prosecutor’s subpoena for his tax records was rejected Thursday by a federal judge, handing another loss to the president in a high-profile case that already made its way to the Supreme Court.

U.S. District Judge Victor Marrero said the president failed to show that the subpoena would pose an unfair burden, siding in favor of Manhattan D.A. Cy Vance, who has said his office is pursuing an investigation of potential violations of state law. Trump is likely to appeal the decision to a higher court.

The president’s attorney, Jay Sekulow, said Trump will appeal the decision.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:38 am

So how many times does someone get to appeal a ruling? Is there a limit to that number?

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:47 am

What a lineup

Better than the Pirates.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:49 am

This is a victimless crime. I could care less if he walks, just funny watching another grifter from Trump's orbit get indicted.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:55 am

This is a victimless crime. I could care less if he walks, just funny watching another grifter from Trump's orbit get indicted.
I don’t care if they walk either.

The bigger issue to me is Trump and Barr clearly cared, enough to try to squash the investigation. That’s the big thing for me

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:58 am

I want to see Bannon off to the hoosegow.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:31 am

The bigger issue to me is Trump and Barr clearly cared, enough to try to squash the investigation. That’s the big thing for me
I actually think that Barr was intervening to obstruct the Rudy investigation. He might have had some interest in this case, but I doubt they took those steps to thwart a Bannon indictment.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:33 am

For some reason, I read "Steve Bannon" and immediately was like, "The ovaltine comedian from Seinfeld...? How is that relevant?" ...if I drank coffee, I guess now would be the time to support my drug addiction...

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:41 am

I actually think that Barr was intervening to obstruct the Rudy investigation. He might have had some interest in this case, but I doubt they took those steps to thwart a Bannon indictment.
Trump is a "what have you done for me" type guy. Bannon has his own agenda and wasn't really ever all that interested in promoting Trump himself.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:07 pm

https://triblive.com/local/pittsburgh-a ... -1-arrest/

Which they did. Which should drive them crazy.

And yes, I agree with you that it's probably just a clique of young activists that are just protesting to protest.
I honestly don't know how anyone can be upset by this response from the local authorities. I feel like you get one disturbance, in that, sure march to Peduto's house and demonstrate. But as soon as they decided to prolong that act, it was intending to elicit a response from the police and the city, thinking that any response will be perceived as disproportionate to the demonstration. But no right thinking person is going to agree, and thus the police can shut the **** down.

While I agree they needed to find a way to disperse the crowd, it doesn't seem like it was done in good faith last night.

The protestors were told by police to move away from Peduto's house, which they did. Then they were told to move to Mellon Park, which they did. Then the police say "Park's closed, you're all here illegally" once everyone got there and began with the pepper spray and rubber bullets/pepper bags.

If you wanted the crowd to leave, ask them to leave instead of pulling this. This made it sound like they had options to continue a peaceful protest but in reality seems like it just gave cops an excuse to tear gas.

And I think Peduto dug himself this hole. Prior to the arrest last week, he kept talking about how police were giving him bad information regarding the June protests (and doubled down on that) but now he's suddenly saying "I believe what the police are telling me"... he's trying to talk out of both sides of his mouth and it's just serving to piss people off even more than if he had done the right thing earlier and just shut the **** up.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:09 pm

Do you think that the protesters were acting in "good faith" at pretty much any point over the past 48 hours?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:15 pm

While I agree they needed to find a way to disperse the crowd, it doesn't seem like it was done in good faith last night.

The protestors were told by police to move away from Peduto's house, which they did. Then they were told to move to Mellon Park, which they did. Then the police say "Park's closed, you're all here illegally" once everyone got there and began with the pepper spray and rubber bullets/pepper bags.

If you wanted the crowd to leave, ask them to leave instead of pulling this. This made it sound like they had options to continue a peaceful protest but in reality seems like it just gave cops an excuse to tear gas.

And I think Peduto dug himself this hole. Prior to the arrest last week, he kept talking about how police were giving him bad information regarding the June protests (and doubled down on that) but now he's suddenly saying "I believe what the police are telling me"... he's trying to talk out of both sides of his mouth and it's just serving to piss people off even more than if he had done the right thing earlier and just shut the **** up.
Oof, that's gross. It does feel a bit to me like the cops and protesters are just on this continuing path of escalation and instigation. I don't really care if this is "both sidesing" it, but it's legitimately two sides contributing to this constant stream of dumb news cycles.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:16 pm

Trump is a "what have you done for me" type guy. Bannon has his own agenda and wasn't really ever all that interested in promoting Trump himself.
Not to mention he was probably pissed that Bannon was cashing in on a Trump brand (build the wall).

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:25 pm

Do you think that the protesters were acting in "good faith" at pretty much any point over the past 48 hours?

I'm not sure I could answer that given I haven't seen/listened to their discussion with Peduto, but has any of what they did warranted effectively tricking them into going to an unlawful area so there would be a good excuse to use dispersion tactics?

Like, I get what you're saying, but intentionally herding them to an area, then telling them they can't be in that area is bush league and just serves to escalate tensions even more.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:29 pm

The f'ing guy was willing to sit on his own porch and wait for a mob of people to show up in an effort to have a conversation with them. Look at those tweets I posted. It all went south real quick. Do you think the mayor purposely agitated them in his own neighborhood...or is it more likely these people, like always, didnt hear exactly what they wanted and became angry and unruly?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:34 pm

I think you and I have very different definitions of "going south".

The protest was still peaceful, even if you think the words weren't.

And words do not justify the escalation of force via herding the protesters into a closed park so you can use it as a ln excuse to pepper spray them.