Politics And Current Events

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:43 pm

Billie Joe never had a lick of sense, pass the biscuits, please.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:44 pm

How many gun crimes are committed with lawfully procured and legally used firearms by Bille Joe's?
yes, we all know how difficult it would be for Billie to borrow his mother's lawfully procured firearm before he shoots a bunch of first graders.

and if the question is how many crimes are committed during legal use (as you asked)...uh...zero?

but again, it would just be more gun fantasy for me to think this particular situation would escalate into something violent. that's not my issue with it.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:45 pm

Lol, the marines don't even use automatic rifles, and that wouldn't be legal for anyone.
meh, i don't think it's some unreasonable point to not like the idea of plain clothes civilians walking around armed like that. it would be desirable if both sides on this debate would respect the reasonable stances that they disagree with.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:46 pm

How many gun crimes are committed with lawfully procured and legally used firearms by Bille Joe's?
Who cares?

Are strangers supposed to just assume those dudes are ex marines with weapons training?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:49 pm

Who cares?

Are strangers supposed to just assume those dudes are ex marines with weapons training?
1) The proper term is former Marines

2) Have open carry/concealed carry laws led to more accidental discharges in public?

3) Maybe strangers need to not get the heebie jeebies just because they see an unkept white male with a firearm.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:51 pm

yes, we all know how difficult it would be for Billie to borrow his mother's lawfully procured firearm before he shoots a bunch of first graders.

and if the question is how many crimes are committed during legal use (as you asked)...uh...zero?

but again, it would just be more gun fantasy for me to think this particular situation would escalate into something violent. that's not my issue with it.

Well you prove my point. No rational person has a reason to fear the Billie Joe's of the world with a firearm.

The backwoods Billie Joe's don't commit mass murder.
Last edited by Freddy Rumsen on Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:51 pm

Oh right.

I forgot, this is a waste of time.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:52 pm

Are you supporting the current process for legally acquiring guns?
Last edited by columbia on Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:52 pm

Oh right.

I forgot, this is a waste of time.
Treating firearms like they have cooties is a problem most have.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:53 pm

Like the NRA I support the current laws which prevent felons, the mentally handicapped, and those under 18 from lawfully purchasing firearms.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:55 pm

Well you prove my point. No rational person has a reason to fear the Billie Joe's of the world with a firearm.
no, just the 100 or so billie joe jr's who accidentally off themselves with billie's favorite hobby every year.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:57 pm

3) Maybe strangers need to not get the heebie jeebies just because they see an unkept white male with a firearm.
We could start a whole other debate that would go nowhere.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:58 pm

no, just the 100 or so billie joe jr's who accidentally off themselves with billie's favorite hobby every year.

Exactly. Billie Joe Jr's accidentally off themselves, and win Darwin awards. Not in strip mall parking lots.

Though more Billie Joe's die from falls and drowning doing their Bille Joe hobbies than through accidental firearm deaths

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:58 pm

aren't many people who use their guns for murder instead of recreation also trained? certainly most of the mass shooters at least.
Define 'trained'.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:01 pm

Like the NRA I support the current laws which prevent felons, the mentally handicapped, and those under 18 from lawfully purchasing firearms.
It's proven we need a lot more resources to enforce the current laws. Instead, the NRA and a high percentage of gun owners spend their time drumming up the riff-raff that "they're coming to take our guns" so that there's no way a bill to properly fund those initiatives could ever be passed.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:02 pm

Exactly. Billie Joe Jr's accidentally off themselves, and win Darwin awards. Not in strip mall parking lots.

Though more Billie Joe's die from falls and drowning doing their Bille Joe hobbies than through accidental firearm deaths
obviously i must have been unclear with our little name game here, but surely you aren't saying that little kids accidentally killing themselves with their parents' guns is just thinning the heard/darwin award material. right?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:03 pm

Is 'once and always' not a thing anymore? I thought the distinction was just between duty status, i.e. active vs retired or discharged.

Don't mean this as a quibble, I just want to be respectful.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:04 pm

It's proven we need a lot more resources to enforce the current laws. Instead, the NRA and a high percentage of gun owners spend their time drumming up the riff-raff that "they're coming to take our guns" so that there's no way a bill to properly fund those initiatives could ever be passed.
Additionally, like in cases such as Sandy Hook, just because you didn't sell the gun to somebody mentally ill doesn't prevent them from getting it and going on a spree. A reactionary penalty to the rightful gun owner certainly brings those kids back to life.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:05 pm

Is 'once and always' not a thing anymore? I thought the distinction was just between duty status, i.e. active vs retired or discharged.

I believe the PC term is "ustacould OORAH"

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:05 pm

Gun crime is down almost 50% since 1990. I'd say our current laws are doing quite fine, despite the pro-gun control lobby's attempt to drum up support for more stringent laws.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:06 pm

aren't many people who use their guns for murder instead of recreation also trained? certainly most of the mass shooters at least.
Define 'trained'.
knowing how to operate a gun. and while you may be inclined to bring up the parts of firearm training where they teach you about not killing things, you can't blame me for being skeptical that james holmes or adam lanza would be influenced by such things had they been part of such a program.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:07 pm

"Former" is the way to speak of a non-active duty Marine who was honorably discharged.

Though I find the whole thing a bit silly, but I always am careful to follow convention. ;)

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:07 pm

I think it's funny that most gun guys probably have a more narrow definition of what 'training' means in the context of firearms than do non-gun guys.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:10 pm

obviously i must have been unclear with our little name game here, but surely you aren't saying that little kids accidentally killing themselves with their parents' guns is just thinning the heard/darwin award material. right?
In that case take out the "Darwin Award" part and my post still stands.

Just in cold statistics the number of minor accidental deaths due to firearms is usually around 100-150 per year whereas accidental minor drowning deaths run 750-1,000 per year in the United States.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:11 pm

Donald Trump just told everyone Lindsey Graham’s cellphone number
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/donald ... =afterbell

:lol: