Politics And Current Events

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:01 am

One of the attackers' Syrian passport was found on his dead body. Registered as entering Greece on Oct 3 (as one of the asylum seekers), then entering Serbia Oct 7.
And I'm pretty sure I heard a CNN report call it a fake while at my daughters dance class tonight.
We're talking a minimal amount of refugees in this country undergoing a hell of a lot more scrutiny than our European counterparts.

PS- Did Mr Thriller really just knock the First Lady's dancing skills? :slug:

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:25 am

Lmfao omg

I completely forgot about Shaf's thriller gif

That's delicious

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:35 am

Reason number 562 why I wouldn't give a **** if Russia or Israel bombed the **** out of that whole region

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:38 am

It sounds like Obama agrees with the Guinness and EPP. Strange bedfellows.
Yes, you would think they would be praising the restraint that Obama is showing. Outside of Rand Paul, all the the GOP candidates want to send thousands of troops and bomb everything and everyone.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:07 am

Police terror raid near Paris ends with at least two killed, seven arrested
http://www.france24.com/en/20151117-liv ... pe-belgium

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:10 am

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/americ ... -combined/

According to the US Department of Justice, the value of asset forfeiture revoceries by US authorities from 1989-2010 was $12,667,612,066, increasing on average 19.5% per year.

In 2008, law enforcement took over $1.5 billion from the American public. While this number seems incredibly large, just a few years later, in 2014, that number tripled to nearly $4.5 billion.

Read more at http://thefreethoughtproject.com/americ ... srwD3sx.99
Forget pharm. reason #1 why drugs are illegal.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:16 am

Could have sworn I read that the majority of Syrian refugees are military aged males and not the "three year old orphans"?
Yes. 80% (4/5) are single men, according to the UN and EU spokespeople.
http://www.factcheck.org/2015/09/stretc ... -refugees/

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:43 am

It sounds like Obama agrees with the Guinness and EPP. Strange bedfellows.
Yes, you would think they would be praising the restraint that Obama is showing. Outside of Rand Paul, all the the GOP candidates want to send thousands of troops and bomb everything and everyone.
You're joking right? This president has bombed:

1) Afgantistan
2) Yemen
3) Somalia
4) Libya
5) Iraq
6) Pakistan

And yes

7) Syria

Remember it was only a couple of weeks ago that the US announced that it *was* deploying assists into Syria

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/ ... qxoLpeJ.97

(Vietnam anyone?)

So while the fact that he's done nothing for the past four days is commendable, excuse me if I don't get up on the table and applaud.
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:49 am

Just to clarify, do you think that the US should take in refugees?

It would seem odd to simultaneously blame the US for the actions of the terrorist groups (which you have) and not expect to the US to take some responsibility for people fleeing parts of Iraq and Syria.

Just so we're clear, is that your stance?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:10 am

One of the attackers' Syrian passport was found on his dead body. Registered as entering Greece on Oct 3 (as one of the asylum seekers), then entering Serbia Oct 7.
And I'm pretty sure I heard a CNN report call it a fake while at my daughters dance class tonight.
We're talking a minimal amount of refugees in this country undergoing a hell of a lot more scrutiny than our European counterparts.

PS- Did Mr Thriller really just knock the First Lady's dancing skills? :slug:
Most of the passports the refugees use are fake, which is one of the reasons why any "vetting" that is accomplished is at best window dressing.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34510265
Growing numbers of refugees are choosing to avoid the long dangerous journey overland and by sea to reach Europe.
Instead, many are turning to gangs selling forged passports and trying their luck using traditional transport routes.

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:11 am

Just to clarify, do you think that the US should take in refugees?

It would seem odd to simultaneously blame the US for the actions of the terrorist groups (which you have) and not expect to the US to take some responsibility for people fleeing parts of Iraq and Syria.

Just so we're clear, is that your stance?
You're backing off the "peace president" schtick then? Because it's laughable.

Are you a "Hawk" then Columbia? Bomb them back into the Stone Age (with apologies to the late General Curtis LeMay)?

Take all of the refugees in and resettle them?
A second suspect directly involved in the Paris massacre is on the loose four days after the attacks, according to French officials, as German police revealed a third suspect in custody apparently posed as a refugee. French officials did not identify the second fugitive. Speaking to The Associated Press, they said an analysis of the series of attacks on Nov. 13 indicated that another person directly involved was unaccounted for. Meantime, police said they arrested an Algerian man linked to the attacks, at a refugee center in western Germany, Reuters reports. Police say he apparently told Syrian refugees at the center that fear and terror would be spread in the French capital. Police are looking into whether he's an accomplice or a confidante of the Paris attackers, Reuters adds. At least two other suspects reportedly entered Europe through Greece posing as refugees.
Maybe you feel none of them would come to Savannah? You're probably right.

And I've never once *blamed* "the US for the actions of the terrorist groups (which you have)", - your direct quote - rather I've stated that the US covert and military actions in the affairs of other nations (particularly in the Middle East), create an environment of hate and resentment and foster the creation of anti-US agitators. Often times even to the extent of arming same.

The "actions of the terrorist groups" themselves can only be blamed on the terrorists. The reasons they act are a different matter all together. As Ron Paul,has pointed out, this comes straight from the CIA themselves.

Are you telling me that you disagree with that?
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:15 am

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:25 am

Good, we're getting somewhere: you agree that the U.S.is not to blame for the actions of the terrorists. So no more of that understandable "citizens uprising" rhetoric from you?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:29 am

Glad to see the New York Daily News has their eyes on America's greatest enemy.

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:32 am

Good, we're getting somewhere: you agree that the U.S.is not to blame for the actions of the terrorists. So no more of that understandable "citizens uprising" rhetoric from you?
LOL... Columbia being Columbia...

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:34 am

:thumb: Calling out the GOP dodints.

Yeah, :thumb: what a leader. Legitimate concerns for national security in the midst of a crises and he goes with the "awww you scared of some 3 year olds?!" Just completely detached from reality. He looked and acted like a complete fool. Fact of the matter is whether he likes it or not a large number of his citizens have concerns about what just what he's bringing into our country and neighborhoods and he just doesnt care at all.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:35 am

I see nothing wrong with that headline.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:35 am

You're backing off the "peace president" schtick then? Because it's laughable.

I don't even know what that means.

Are you a "Hawk" then Columbia? Bomb them back into the Stone Age (with apologies to the late General Curtis LeMay)?

I am not a Hawk. I get the argument for being more involved, but am very unsettled by the idea. So I'd say....no.

Take all of the refugees in and resettle them?

I mentioned the US taking in some, not all.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:36 am

It was pretty disappointing to see all of those moderate Muslims booing the moment of silence in Turkey yesterday.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:37 am

It was pretty disappointing to see all of those moderate Muslims booing the moment of silence in Turkey yesterday.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:39 am

Source of the post I see nothing wrong with that headline.
I would've bet my bankroll it was @shmenguin that wrote this post.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:40 am

I see nothing wrong with that headline.

For someone who only spent $2.6 million dollars in lobbying for 2014 (and aren't even in the top 50) the NRA sure does seem to have a lot of boogeyman powers.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:40 am

Just saying, the story has merit. Unless there was another reason to dislike it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:42 am

For someone who only spent $2.6 million dollars in lobbying for 2014 (and aren't even in the top 50) the NRA sure does seem to have a lot of boogeyman powers.
So, you need to spend $50 billion lobbying something to be effective? Makes sense.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:43 am

Their power is in the potential/threat for demagoguing candidates in the primary and supporting challengers against Republican incumbents, who deviate from their plan. That's a lot more powerful than spending money. And that technique is certainly used by other groups (on other issues).