Shaving and Grooming

Shyster

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Shyster » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:11 pm

Been thinking about creating this topic for a while, and I noticed the subject of shaving come up in another thread, so I decided to go ahead.

Over the years I've tried just about every form of razor (electric, cartridge, etc.), and I've firmly settled on traditional double-edge safety razors. They do take a little bit of adjustment because unlike a lot of cartridge razors the heads don't swivel, but once you get the technique down I think they give a shave every bit as good as a cartridge razor at a fraction of the price. IMO the whiz-bang multi-blade cartridge razors on the market are colossal rip-offs (I'm looking at you, Gillette Fusion). They cost a fortune, and because they're so expensive a lot of people keep using the blades even when they're lost past dull. Good shaves come from sharp blades.

If anyone wants to try out traditional double-edge shaving, I can recommend the Weishi razor as a good start. It's a copy of the classic Gillette Super Speed, which was sold in the U.S. for more than 30 years. I have an early-70s vintage Super Speed, and the Weishi is darn near an exact clone. Some reviews mention quality issues, but I can say that mine works fine. Anyway, it's only 16 bucks at West Coast Shaving (a shop I also highly recommend):

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Weishi- ... _1195.html

I've tried a bunch of blades using West Coast Shaving's sample packs, and I keep coming back to the Personna "Medical Prep" blades. I'd say they are nearly as good as the Feather Hi-Stainless blades (widely considered the sharpest blades on the market) at a lower price. A box of 100 is $32:

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Personn ... p_883.html

Thus, one could change blades weekly and shave for nearly two years for the whopping total of $48 (plus shipping), or roughly $2 per month.

MWB

Shaving and Grooming

Postby MWB » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:22 pm

How often do you change your blade?

I currently shave with a Gillette fusion, I think. As you say, I don't change the blade nearly enough because of cost. I'm on my last cartridge, so am looking at switching. I've thought about Harry's, but only because I've heard ads for them and they are cheaper.

Also, do you use a cream, gel, or soap/brush (if soap is even the right term for it)? I used to use the brush, but then started shaving in the shower and it wasn't as conducive for that.

Shyster

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Shyster » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:32 pm

Because they cost so little, I generally swap blades every week, and I typically don't even shave every day. So I might only use a blade four or five times. I don't think anyone would think of doing that with Fusion cartridges.

I do use soap and a brush. I usually use Tabac soap (http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Tabac-O ... p_151.html), and the brush I've liked the best so far is actually a horse-hair brush from Vie-Long (http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Vie-Lon ... _2069.html).

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Shaving and Grooming

Postby count2infinity » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:47 pm

Shaving: I shave my neckline and a bit on my cheeks once a week. Gillette Mach 3... change my blade about once every month and a half or so. I use the gel for shaving cream... whatever is cheap. You guys should talk to @Juice. Dude uses safety blades and swears by them.

Hair: Get it cut about once a month, Head and Shoulders refresh daily, and American Crew Fiber for styling.

Viva la Ben

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:51 pm

Shave in the shower, no creams or lotions.

Shyster

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Shyster » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:53 pm

Continuing my pattern of acting like an old man, I use Brylcreem as my hair product. A little dab'll do ya.

Gaucho

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Gaucho » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:04 pm

Mach 3, change blades after maybe a dozen shaves. Or maybe two dozen, not sure.

Willie Kool

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:06 pm

Shaving: Clean shave (Trac II) about once a week - change blades every other month. I stocked up on Trac II blades when I heard Gillette was stopping production. I should be good for at least another 10 years. Gillette Foamy sensitive skin, and Wegman's Aloe Vera Gel with Vitamin E as an aftershave.

Hair: Get it cut about once a decade, Axe Anarchy 2in1 shampoo/conditioner daily, Axe Natural Look styling cream.

Cologne: Don't wear it often, but D&G Pour Homme.
Last edited by Willie Kool on Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

slappybrown

Shaving and Grooming

Postby slappybrown » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:06 pm

I shave in the shower with a Mach 3 turbo blade and use a brush with art of shaving cream. I use their after shave cream as well. I switched to them probably 7 or 8 years ago and would never switch.

Gaucho

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Gaucho » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:09 pm

Glad to hear that so many of you gentlemen shave under the shower, because whenever I do I wonder if this is something only perverts and yokels would stoop to.

Oh, wait ...

Willie Kool

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:11 pm

I don't shave in the shower, at least not my face...
Last edited by Willie Kool on Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Shaving and Grooming

Postby count2infinity » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:11 pm

Do yinz have a mirror in your shower that you use or just go at your face like maniacs?

Shyster

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Shyster » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:12 pm

I probably would shave in the shower, but I refuse to wear contacts and without my glasses I can't see worth a damn, even at very close range. It helps the shaving process because the water, heat, and humidity of the shower helps to soften the beard and make it easier to cut. I shave as soon as I hop out.

obhave

Shaving and Grooming

Postby obhave » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:14 pm

I don't shave in the shower, at least not my face...
:pop:

Gaucho

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Gaucho » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:15 pm

Yeah, under the shower I don't even need cream. Very comfortable.

Viva la Ben

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:15 pm

Do yinz have a mirror in your shower that you use or just go at your face like maniacs?
Muscle memory

MWB

Shaving and Grooming

Postby MWB » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:16 pm

Shaving in the shower seems to provide a much less harsh shave. I think the steam opens the pores up and helps with that.

Get my haircut once a month... 4 and a 2. Go to a babrbershop that uses an actual straight edge razor to shave he neck, above ears, and sideburns.

redwill

Shaving and Grooming

Postby redwill » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:16 pm

No clue what you folks are talking about.

I haven't shaved in ten years and haven't had a haircut in twenty.

Well, that's not exactly true. I do shave my mustache once in while for an Amish look. I like the double-takes I get. But the main reason is that it's a lot easier to eat soup.

MWB

Shaving and Grooming

Postby MWB » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:17 pm

Mirror

slappybrown

Shaving and Grooming

Postby slappybrown » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:19 pm

Fogless mirror

What is this amateur hour

slappybrown

Shaving and Grooming

Postby slappybrown » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:20 pm

Also I get my hair cut every 2 weeks 3 at the very most

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Shaving and Grooming

Postby meow » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:35 pm

I only shave about half my square footage - neck and one pass on my cheeks - two times a week. I use my beard clippers every day. Haircut every other Sunday

eddy

Shaving and Grooming

Postby eddy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:35 pm

An alum through the office works for Bic and sends a box with maybe around 144 razors every year so I haven't had to buy a razor in 7 years. I've been using the newer Mach blades with the counterball weight and I'm pretty sure I liked the fewer blade razor better, but I'm not really in a position to complain.

Shyster

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Shyster » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:45 pm

Shaving: Clean shave (Trac II) about once a week - change blades every other month. I stocked up on Trac II blades when I heard Gillette was stopping production. I should be good for at least another 10 years.
When you run out in 10 years, I believe other companies have stepped in to fill the Trac II void:

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Personn ... _2063.html

MWB

Shaving and Grooming

Postby MWB » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:55 pm

No clue what you folks are talking about.

I haven't shaved in ten years and haven't had a haircut in twenty.

Well, that's not exactly true. I do shave my mustache once in while for an Amish look. I like the double-takes I get. But the main reason is that it's a lot easier to eat soup.
Heathen.