dodint's Thread of Concerts and Public Events

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:36 am

**** Roger Waters. He was bad for the band even when he was in it. (See: The Final Cut)
Love The Final Cut.
I still listen to it, but it's not really a 'Pink Floyd' album to me. The Wall had its heavy concepts presented in a vague way, but a lot of The Final Cut is him blathering on about Marget Thatcher. It's closer to Chumbawumba than Pink Floyd, to me.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:27 am

Going to Gojira/Mastadon tonight. Pretty sad based on the set lists so far I won't get to hear Heaviest matter of the Universe live. However it does seem they are playing Art of Dying and Gift of Guilt...so I can take that trade off I think.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:03 am

Jason Isbell was excellent live, of course. They played all but 2 tracks from the new album (which is very good) and a scattering of tracks from older albums. Great setlist. My son is a casual fan of Isbell, but left a huge fan. Lots of guitar pyrotechnics, which was awesome.

The opening act was The Baseball Project. I'd never heard of them, so I looked them up. They are a "supergroup" featuring Mike Mills and Peter Buck of REM, Scott McCaughey (a touring musician from REM among others), Steve Wynn of the Dream Syndicate, and Linda Pittmon. They have four albums of songs about baseball, including a song about Lenny Dykstra of all people. Music was solid, more leaning to the Jayhawks/Cracker than REM.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:41 am

Four albums about baseball, you say

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:47 am

Are they all baby albums to put children to sleep quickly?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:00 pm

:lol:
Listen, the guys from REM have **** you money and can do whatever they want. The music was solid, lyrics inaudible for the most part.

They've been around forever, in fact, there's a clip of them on Letterman from 15 years ago. Peter Buck on bass; I guess Mike Mills joined later.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:13 pm

Nice try pal, but I don't need a nap right now

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:28 pm

This does not constitute what I would call a "stout retort".

:wink:

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:14 pm

I noticed Tyler Childers is playing near-ish to me on Saturday. I like a few of his songs, but I'm not a superfan. SG Goodman is the opening act, and there is one other act who I wasn't familiar with and don't want to bother looking her name back up. It's a nice venue - outdoor tennis arena near Dickie Dunn's old Navy base, I could probably stay with my mother (who is home and recovering from COVID, and who could use the company)...

But the tickets start at $175. That seems...a little high? Plenty of seats available, naturally. I paid $75 (after fees) for Jason Isbell the other night. I would think Isbell would be a bigger, more established act than Childers.

Clint Black played in Columbia last week with a top ticket price of $65. What am I missing in regards to Childers?

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:16 pm

The music was solid, lyrics inaudible for the most part.
Ah, so R.E.M.....

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:01 am

It wasn't one I wanted to miss, but sounds like my disdain for Star Lake winning out over wanting to see Ghost was a a good decision. Everyone forced under cover during Amon Amarth's set due to the weather. Complete shitshow getting people without seat tickets back out onto the lawn after the set, while people with seat tickets were unable to make it to theirs. Weather delay for the start of Ghost's set that ultimately caused the encore to get skipped as another thunderstorm was rolling into the area. At this point I'm an old fart who isn't too enthused about rain or shine outdoor events to begin with, but Star Lake somehow makes the experience even worse.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:28 am

I noticed Tyler Childers is playing near-ish to me on Saturday. I like a few of his songs, but I'm not a superfan. SG Goodman is the opening act, and there is one other act who I wasn't familiar with and don't want to bother looking her name back up. It's a nice venue - outdoor tennis arena near Dickie Dunn's old Navy base, I could probably stay with my mother (who is home and recovering from COVID, and who could use the company)...

But the tickets start at $175. That seems...a little high? Plenty of seats available, naturally. I paid $75 (after fees) for Jason Isbell the other night. I would think Isbell would be a bigger, more established act than Childers.

Clint Black played in Columbia last week with a top ticket price of $65. What am I missing in regards to Childers?
He's a super hot ticket right now and exploding in popularity. He JUST hit the radio in Pittsburgh finally, so I expect it to get worse. I've looked for tickets for him in the north here on 4 separate occasions. Tickets were over $200, and in some cases $300 on the resell market.

He seems to have upset the country right wing already though with his latest music video so maybe his tickets will decrease, lmao.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:30 am

I have no idea who any of those people are.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:32 am

I guess I gotta sit on TM tomorrow and try to get my kid Lana Del Rey tickets.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:37 am

I have no idea who any of those people are.
Alternative/folk singers.

The snob in me says closer to what Country music should be than what you hear on the BS radio today.

I've seen Isbell probably 4-5 times, and it's a killer show every time.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:23 am

I saw some crowd shots of the Childers show, and it was pretty much sold out. Good on him for filling a stadium playing non-bro country songs.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:48 pm

So, got in to buy the Lana tickets, went to check out, and TM gives me a message that says "Card is incompatible with this transaction." Like, wtf does that even mean. It's not declined, wrong expiration date, wrong code or something. It sounds like for some reason I can't use an AMEX to buy these tickets. So, I switched it to a Visa and TM says "You have used this card unsuccessfully too many times" or something along those lines, and when I closed the dialog box, totally booted me out.

No tickets. Sorry kid.

I had absolutely no idea Lana Del Rey was so popular. She kind of reminds me of some latter day Cocteau Twins or Lush, shoegazey type vocals. I like her version of Doin' Time but otherwise, meh.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:59 pm

AmEx is a partner of Ticketmaster, they do all sorts of pre-sales and special access events and s**t. Is LdR's tour sponsored by Discover or something?

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:04 pm

AmEx is a partner of Ticketmaster, they do all sorts of pre-sales and special access events and s**t. Is LdR's tour sponsored by Discover or something?
I assume it is one more dumbass ticketmaster glitch

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:11 pm

Did you use a pre-sale link specific to one type of card and try to use a different card for payment? (Like it was a Visa pre-sale, and you tried to use your AmEx to pay)

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:19 pm

Did you use a pre-sale link specific to one type of card and try to use a different card for payment? (Like it was a Visa pre-sale, and you tried to use your AmEx to pay)
No, tickets were only available through regular sale, no presale.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:34 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout ... rgh_brawl/

I don't know how to embed reddit links.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:36 pm

Reddit embedding has been broken/a trainwreck since the API change.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:42 pm

And I thank Odin for that breakage every day.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:46 pm

I blame @Kicksave.