dodint's Thread of Concerts and Public Events

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:46 pm

We went to the "Pod meets world" live show tonight at the Byham. It was a fun time.

Basically the actors/actresses who played Topanga/Eric/Shawn do a live show that is similar to their podcast that covers Boy Meets World...but add in a Q&A, blooper reals, a costume contest, stories and other things.

It was a fun nostalgia trip and pretty engaging for 90 minutes if you enjoyed Boy Meets World growing up.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:00 am

It's a bummer the actress who played Rachel wasn't there. She has moved on to........................... other pursuits, and might have provided some flair to the show.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:20 am

Postal Service and Death Cab (playing all of Transatlanticism) at the Pete in May. Presale was this morning and I snagged two tickets. I went for the middle of the pack and it was still $250 after fees for 2 tickets. Ridiculous.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:03 am

Continuing my dodinting about tickets being too expensive: balcony seats for David Sedaris at Carnegie Music Hall in Oakland are $80 after fees. I thought it'd be a nice little gift for my wife since one of our first dates was seeing him read but nah. Maybe we'll just listen to an audio book.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:19 am

I'd love to see Death Cab but won't contribute to that pricing nonsense. I have the albums, good enough.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:37 am

Saw this on Twitter, and figured this would be a good one for us:
1) 1st Concert:
2) Last Concert:
3) Worst Concert:
4) Loudest Concert:
5) Best Concert:
6) Seen Most:
7) Most Surprising:
8) Next Concert:
9) Wish I Could Have Seen:
1) 1st Concert: Metallica
2) Last Concert: Slayer
3) Worst Concert: None... they have all been bangers
4) Loudest Concert: Slayer
5) Best Concert: Metallica
6) Seen Most: Metallica
7) Most Surprising: Corrosion of Conformity (opened for Metallica in like '95 or so, and were really good)
8) Next Concert: I'm done, tinnitus made sure of that
9) Wish I Could Have Seen: Queen

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:06 am

1) 1st Concert: The Jets, Bloomsburg Fair, ca. 1987
2) Last Concert: Billy Joel and Stevie Nicks
3) Worst Concert: Jon Bon Jovi and the Kings of Suburbia, it was a concert at a conference and I guess we thought we'd hear actual Bon Jovi songs. Nah. It was nice and Jon has go sing oldies with my friends even if people want to hear "Wanted Dead or Alive" money but, not what we were looking for. Meh, it was free.
4) Loudest Concert: Flaming Lips opening for Black Keys. Wished we had skipped the opener
5) Best Concert: Sting
6) Seen Most: Billy Joel, 3x
7) Most Surprising: Tracy Chapman, when she was just becoming popular. Just Tracy and her guitar. Incredible.
8) Next Concert: Stones
9) Wish I Could Have Seen: Talking Heads and The Queen, Tina Turner

I do need to evaluate whether I go to many more due to the tinnitis. My daughter's a HS Sophomore and somehow still likes going to concerts with me, so it's coming down to, you can't replace these times vs every time my hearing takes a bit of a hit. They make concert earbuds that allegedly help, I need to investigate whether that's legit. She likes to go to Stage AE and stand right in front, which is the loudest place in the place. Maybe we can't do that anymore.
Last edited by RonnieFranchise on Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:44 am

1) 1st Concert: X-Fest
2) Last Concert: T Swift
3) Worst Concert: Alanis Morissette & BNL. Or Bright Eyes. He was drunk af, forgetting words and barely able to function.
4) Loudest Concert: T Swift (thanks to the **** screaming fans screaming every **** lyric at the top of their **** lungs
5) Best Concert: The Promise Ring. Or Decemberists. Or Joanna Newson. Or PJ20. Or Rilo Kiley. Or St Vincent. Or The Weakerthans. I’ve seen a lot of great shows.
6) Seen Most: Pearl Jam
7) Most Surprising: Blink 182
8) Next Concert: DCFC + Postal Service
9) Wish I Could Have Seen: Neutral Milk Hotel I guess. Or Hop Along?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:35 pm

NTP up in here with the social engineering/identity theft scheme.

Anyway...............

1) 1st Concert: Gloria Estefan & Miami Sound Machine
2) Last Most Recent Concert: Queens Of The Stone Age (just last night)
3) Worst Concert:
Headliner - Pearl Jam (shockingly dull and listless, like they all just woke up from a nap; free tickets and I wanted a refund)
Performer - Tie between The Offspring/Everclear
4) Loudest Concert: Steel Panther (née Metal Skool, née Metal Shop) @ The Viper Room (RIP)
5) Best Concert: Chevy Metal @ Maui Sugar Mill Saloon (70+ person bar in Tarzana)
6) Seen Most: Foo Fighters (9x?)
7) Most Surprising: The Struts (had never heard of them, ended up buying their catalog from my seat in the arena)
8) Next Concert: Foo Fighters in August
9) Wish I Could Have Seen: Queen or Van Halen in their early 80s prime

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:53 pm

1) 1st Concert: Def Leppard
2) Most Recent Concert: The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band
3) Worst Concert: Ween at Metropol. Idiots started a mosh pit / shoving people, and I walked out midway. The band was fine; it was the other people there that made it suck.
4) Loudest Concert: The Hu and Asking Alexandria in Johnstown.
5) Best Concert: "Weird Al" Yankovic at the Carnegie Music Hall on his Ridiculously Self-Indulgent, Ill-Advised Vanity Tour.
6) Seen Most: Chris Knight (I think 7x)
7) Most Surprising: BB King.
8) Next Concert: Probably a early Genesis / Peter Gabriel cover band at Jergel's Rhythm Grille
9) Wish I Could Have Seen: Frank Sinatra; Billy Joe Shaver; John Prine

I've worn earplugs to every concert and Penguins game for years. Being a shooter (where hearing protection is mandatory) has made me more sensitive of my hearing, and I have tons of earplugs and muffs that I've bought over the years. For concerts and similar events, I currently use the Etymotic Research ER20 plugs. They are designed to have a pretty even cut across the spectrum, and I think they do a great job. They also have a relatively mild (around 20db) cut, so the concert is still plenty loud, but not damage-your-ears loud. I would not attend a concert without them or a similar plug. I also use them for tasks like mowing the lawn.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:08 pm

6) Seen Most: Pearl Jam
@FreeCandy44

Kane

Postby Kane » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:37 am

1) 1st Concert: Avenged Sevenfold
2) Last Concert: Ghost/Volbeat
3) Worst Concert: I was bored af when I took my wife to see Elle King. Three Days Grace was also sh*t live.
4) Loudest Concert: Lady Gaga (another adventure with the missus)
5) Best Concert: Nightwish
6) Seen Most: Rob Zombie (dude was touring like crazy back when we were going to multiple concerts a year)
7) Most Surprising: Seether (they kill it live)
8) Next Concert: Might finally splurge for Iron Maiden
9) Wish I Could Have Seen: Dream Theater

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:48 am

1) 1st Concert: Jimmy's chicken shack at Ribfest in the Three Rivers Stadium parking lot when I was like 12
2) Last Concert: Jinjer
3) Worst Concert: None really...I'm pretty picky on what I go see
4) Loudest Concert: Metallica in 96 at the Igloo. I was 13, but I remember just the vibrations going on...it was crazy. Jinjer at the Roxian is a close second (much smaller venue..sound is intense there)
5) Best Concert: Metallica pick any of the 4 times I've seen them
6) Seen Most: Metallica (4x)
7) Most Surprising: Jason Mraz did a two man show at the benedum that my wife wanted to go see..and it was a super cool show.
8) Next Concert: Nothing in the pipeline right now
9) Wish I Could Have Seen: Metallica in their prime circa 1988/1989 on the justice tour.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:56 am

1) 1st Concert: Ringo Starr
2) Last Concert: Not sure if it counts, but Josh Radnor in a teensy bar in Columbus. Last true concert = Danzig
3) Worst Concert: Bruce Springsteen (terrible setlist) and Heart (terrible setlist)
4) Loudest Concert: Black Label Society
5) Best Concert: Ooh this is rough. Ghost in 2018 is up there.
6) Seen Most: Not sure, I go to so damn many shows. Top bands in this category would probably be Motley Crue, KISS, Ghost.
7) Most Surprising: Christopher Cross was excellent. Had never seen Pantera, saw the ode to Pantera single and w/Metallica this summer and they were surprisingly good.
8) Next Concert: Nothing at the moment. Kicking around Madonna just for the **** of it in February, but I hear she is chronically 2+ hrs late to stage every night and I'm old and cranky and gots no time for that.
9) Wish I Could Have Seen: True original Beach Boys lineup with Carl & Dennis; heyday GnR; Queen; George Harrison in any form; CSN; this list could be lengthy...

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:59 am

1) 1st Concert: Van Halen - first half roth second half hagar (weird)
2) Last Concert: Four Chord Music Festival
3) Worst Concert: Four Chord - tornadoed out except I was stuck in the Wild Things dugout during the storm...
4) Loudest Concert: Bassnectar at Bonnaroo 2011
5) Best Concert: Foo Fighters with the Struts
6) Seen Most: pumpkins, foo fighters
7) Most Surprising: Jimmy Eat World
8) Next Concert: Alanis Morissette maybe?
9) Wish I Could Have Seen: Queen

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:02 am

8) Next Concert: Might finally splurge for Iron Maiden
I am going in November. First timer

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:13 am

Source of the post 1) 1st Concert: Jimmy's chicken shack at Ribfest in the Three Rivers Stadium parking lot when I was like 12

I'm pretty sure I saw them at the first X-Fest I attended also... must've been 97 or 98? The Urge is another "holy **** I forgot about that band" I remember from that show

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:25 am

I almost put STP (Rolling Rock Town Fair in 2001) as my most surprising. Scott Weiland just got out of rehab, and I wasn't expecting much, but they were outstanding.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:26 am

Source of the post 1) 1st Concert: Jimmy's chicken shack at Ribfest in the Three Rivers Stadium parking lot when I was like 12

I'm pretty sure I saw them at the first X-Fest I attended also... must've been 97 or 98? The Urge is another "holy **** I forgot about that band" I remember from that show
I have an xfest shirt from like 97 or 98 I think? Lit was one of the headliners as was mighty mighty bosstones I think? I'll have to find it, I remember the front being a cartoon drawing of a woman in a bikini or something haha.

I don't know I remember the Jimmie's chicken shack show so much, but I remember my buddy getting launched while crowdsurfing. It's just one of those things that is etched in my brain for some reason. That was my first real concert though, went with two buddies no parents.

My one friend was old enough to drive (must have been 13 I think, which would have put him at 17) so it was just the three of us. Not sure why my mom thought it was ok to go without any supervision, but we did.

The trend continued though cause the 3 of us went to Metallica at the Igloo either that same year or the following year together again with no supervision(the loudest concert i mentioned above).

Also I dug up a JCS song on youtube and it still hits just like it did when I was like 13.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:53 am

1) 1st Concert: Iron Maiden (at Metropol w/ Blaze)
2) Last Concert: Pantera (tribute)
3) Worst Concert: Fear Factory (Obsolete tour). Not because of the band, their set was awesome... But the concert was super delayed due to them blowing out the power during sound check. When they finally let us in, they had the Rammstein album with Du Hast on repeat over the speakers. It started and ended with different versions of Du Hast. I couldn't hear that song for decades after without PTSD. The opening bands were bad too, especially hed pe.
4) Loudest Concert: Iron Maiden at Consol
5) Best Concert: Best overall by sheer volume of great bands was probably Ozzfest 97 (Sabbath, Ozzy, Pantera, FF). Best set Maiden on the Reunion/Ed Hunter tour. That set list is untouchable. The opening bands sucked though.
6) Seen Most: Iron Maiden (6 times)
7) Most Surprising: Fear Factory. They opened for the first Maiden show I saw, had never heard of them... And then they came out and busted into Demanufacture and I was never the same.
8) Next Concert: Blind Guardian in Cleveland
9) Wish I Could Have Seen: Foo Fighters (still time for this, but won't get to see them with Taylor of course)

Might be a bit of a pattern there...
Last edited by the wicked child on Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:06 pm

I was also at that show. I thought it was a little later than that. I could be wrong though.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:19 pm

1) 1st Concert: 10000 Maniacs at IUP. Went there with a girl from HS, who immediately ditched me to go hang out with other friends.
2) Last Concert: Lead Into Gold/Skinny Puppy
3) Worst Concert: Tool at the Igloo. Fantomas opened for them. They sucked. Tool itself... it was just one of those shows that I couldn't get into. It also didn't help that I didn't know most of the catalog. Also saw Disturbed shortly before that show and was pretty uninterested the entire time.
4) Loudest Concert: Motorhead, Star Lake or whatever it was called, 2012.
5) Best Concert: Nirvana, W&M, 1993.
6) Seen Most: Slayer x6
7) Most Surprising: Gary Numan
8) Next Concert: nothing scheduled right now.
9) Wish I Could Have Seen: Joy Division/early New Order

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:36 pm

Source of the post I was also at that show. I thought it was a little later than that. I could be wrong though.

I think it was this one: https://www.concertarchives.org/concert ... e9d4a31d38

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:26 pm

Source of the post 6) Seen Most: Slayer x6

Kane

Postby Kane » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:29 am

4) Loudest Concert: Motorhead, Star Lake or whatever it was called, 2012.
Oh nice, I was there for that, too.