2017-2018 Penn State Football thread

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:52 am

Anything happen tonite? Anyone lose a few days or weeks or months off their life?

A lot not to like in this game, especially with the red zone execution but you can't deny that these guys have a sixth gear when their backs are up against the wall. When Wadley was crossing the goal line, first thing I said was 'they left too much time on the clock'. If there had been any questions about this team's mettle, it should have been answered last year but they just added another chapter tonite. Barkley was otherworldly in probably the best individual performance by a Penn Stater in school history.

And don't be fooled by the past histories of Indiana and Northwestern. Those definitely won't be pushover games. Indy has a pretty good passing attack and an 11am local game at NW is never an appetizing brunch. Improvements will be made in practice this week and a win like this will only make these guys better. I always like to say that a championship team will have at least one, probably two games, that they shouldn't win but find a way to. This was certainly the first for these guys.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:57 am

Congrats to you UPS hosers.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:36 pm

PSU holds at #4 in both polls.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:37 pm

Anything happen tonite? Anyone lose a few days or weeks or months off their life?

A lot not to like in this game, especially with the red zone execution but you can't deny that these guys have a sixth gear when their backs are up against the wall. When Wadley was crossing the goal line, first thing I said was 'they left too much time on the clock'. If there had been any questions about this team's mettle, it should have been answered last year but they just added another chapter tonite. Barkley was otherworldly in probably the best individual performance by a Penn Stater in school history.

And don't be fooled by the past histories of Indiana and Northwestern. Those definitely won't be pushover games. Indy has a pretty good passing attack and an 11am local game at NW is never an appetizing brunch. Improvements will be made in practice this week and a win like this will only make these guys better. I always like to say that a championship team will have at least one, probably two games, that they shouldn't win but find a way to. This was certainly the first for these guys.
Indiana has "let down" written all over it.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:41 pm

Indiana has "let down" written all over it.
I certainly don't disagree with you there. Indiana did allow almost 250 yards rushing to a Georgia Southern team that is primarily a read-option/wishbone type team so that's encouraging for PSU's misdirection offense. Biggest thing for next week will be defending their tall receiver who terrorized OSU and to execute better in the red zone.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:06 pm

If Penn State is going to beat Michigan and OSU, they better learn to close out drives.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:08 am

We may be dumb but we aren't that dumb
Discussed this weekends game with said Pitt fan/coworker. He said that this weekend just reaffirmed his position on PSU as being an upper teens team, and no more. I asked if he realized the last 3 teams before this weekend that were ranked in the top 5 and went to Kinnick Stadium lost. He said that doesn't change his opinion. "A top ten team should be able to blow out Iowa no matter what the environment." jlawokay.gif

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:40 am

he is the pitt version of nittany ned in real life. aka nan

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:41 am

lololol... well said.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:11 pm

We may be dumb but we aren't that dumb
Discussed this weekends game with said Pitt fan/coworker. He said that this weekend just reaffirmed his position on PSU as being an upper teens team, and no more. I asked if he realized the last 3 teams before this weekend that were ranked in the top 5 and went to Kinnick Stadium lost. He said that doesn't change his opinion. "A top ten team should be able to blow out Iowa no matter what the environment." jlawokay.gif
That's the kind of co-worker I would avoid at all costs when talking about anything other than work-related things.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:14 pm

I don't really mind. He's a really nice guy, but very... I don't even know the word to use here. Opinionated? Person. He stakes a claim and then sets into the claim no matter what is presented in front of him. He also loves to pick on everyone, but when people try to give it back to him he gets really upset and defensive, so I enjoy picking on him.

Luckily he works off site, so I don't interact with him on a daily basis.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:31 pm

Woot! Won the extra pair of tickets for Saturday's game. I don't think you could ask for a better day as far as the weather forecast is looking. Now I'm just hoping the wife is feeling well enough to go. @shafnutz05, you're on call should she not be able to. :lol:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:24 pm

Woot! Won the extra pair of tickets for Saturday's game. I don't think you could ask for a better day as far as the weather forecast is looking. Now I'm just hoping the wife is feeling well enough to go. @shafnutz05, you're on call should she not be able to. :lol:
Roger that sir. Congrats...yes, perfect football weather. My two Coast Guard buddies are visiting this weekend, but they can hang out with my wife and daughter for 12 hours or so :lol:

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:17 pm

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:48 pm

"Great buffet" - Franco

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:19 am

Just waking up to see another top 5 team lost. I figured they would. People overhyped Darnold big time after that Rose Bowl game... and deservedly so, but Barkley remains a stud whilst Darnold looks... iffy.

Happy game day, everyone. Indiana, Indiana, Indiana. Lions win 42-24 I say.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:32 am

Just waking up to see another top 5 team lost. I figured they would. People overhyped Darnold big time after that Rose Bowl game... and deservedly so, but Barkley remains a stud whilst Darnold looks... iffy.

Offensive line says a lot for the kind of success you'll have as a QB. Darnold picked PSU apart in the Rose Bowl because the O-line kept him clean...and PSU wouldn't send anyone after him. Darnold picked Texas apart on the final drive because the Horns refused to go after him like they had the entire game. Last night, Wazzu was relentless in bringing the pressure and USC's o-line couldn't handle it. Darnold's got plenty of talent and you discounting him doesn't show much for your football acumen.

As for the PSU game today, IU has always been a little pain in the side and today will likely be no different. IU likes to play fast on offense and their QB has a pretty good arm. If PSU's front 4 can disrupt his timing and get to him a bit, it will hopefully open up some turnovers and 3-and-outs. IU gave up over 200 yards rushing to Georgia Southern (who I believe is still a run-first attack) last week so that gives me some encouragement as to what kind of day Barkley might have.

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:38 am

Offensive line says a lot for the kind of success you'll have as a QB. Darnold picked PSU apart in the Rose Bowl because the O-line kept him clean...and PSU wouldn't send anyone after him. Darnold picked Texas apart on the final drive because the Horns refused to go after him like they had the entire game. Last night, Wazzu was relentless in bringing the pressure and USC's o-line couldn't handle it. Darnold's got plenty of talent and you discounting him doesn't show much for your football acumen.

As for the PSU game today, IU has always been a little pain in the side and today will likely be no different. IU likes to play fast on offense and their QB has a pretty good arm. If PSU's front 4 can disrupt his timing and get to him a bit, it will hopefully open up some turnovers and 3-and-outs. IU gave up over 200 yards rushing to Georgia Southern (who I believe is still a run-first attack) last week so that gives me some encouragement as to what kind of day Barkley might have.
I get your point. He could still be a good NFL QB, but this year hasn't really helped his stock much thus far.

Barkley had one of his worst games against Indiana last year, but seeing as Indiana's rush D has not looked good this year, I do expect Saquon to be Saquon today.

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:03 pm

After last week's nail biter, looks like we have something that's shaping up to be a laugher. Thank god.

Nobody is beating this team in Happy Valley this year.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:30 pm

Here comes the comeback.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:09 pm

I think we're learning the answer to the question I posed at the beginning of the season -- "who do you try to stop?". You stack the box and make sure Barkley doesn't get loose and make Trace beat you. This offensive line doesn't seem to be able to handle a stacked front or a blitz. Receivers out on the edge aren't getting separation and thus, Trace's first read isn't there like it was last year. The last 6 quarters of opponents' defense seems to be the blueprint in how to handle this offense.

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:17 pm

Alright, those two Indiana touchdowns were my fault. You can all blame me.

We all kinda knew there was no way Trace would hit all of those bombs like he did last year, I'm a bit disappointed in the receivers at times this year though. Godwin is missed.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:27 pm

Fans have to stop harping on 'OMG, Godwin is missed'. These guys had all of spring practice, all of training camp, and now 5 games to adjust to that. Sometimes you have to give credit to a particular team's secondary in shutting things down. Trace also hasn't been all that accurate with those deep balls that he's been throwing around the sidelines so his receivers don't have much of a chance to make a play on the ball.

And you need to turn the hubris down a couple of degrees. It's conference play now and there aren't any more Akrons, Pitts, and Georgia States on the schedule. Yeah, it started out amazing but even at 28-0, the only laughing was the nervous laughter of the o-line not opening any holes for Barkley.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:24 pm

Just got home from the game... Offense didn't look great today. Defense and special teams (except FG kicking) stepped up and won the game for us today. Game definitely started off nicely.

Staggy

Postby Staggy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:02 pm

The defense is amazing this year so that’s a huge plus. The offense is...pretty good. It won’t be an issue against most teams, but they will need to step it up a few notches to beat Michigan and Ohio State.

Edit: To add on to that, I’m having way more fun watching PSU on the defensive side of the ball than on offense this year. They have so much speed and athleticism, and seem to have a knack for making big plays. The way they swarm the ball carrier on swing passes, screens, and outside runs is impressive.
Last edited by Staggy on Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.