All Things Guns & Ammo

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:11 pm

So I got myself really interested in purchasing a lever action rifle and decided to look into a Winchester 94

Turns out I won the auction on gunbroker for $750. I have about no idea what I’m doing so I’m just looking for confirmation that I didn’t screw myself at that price :slug:

I have one other gun, a Mannlicher 1895 that I’ve never tried to shoot but with the Winchester I do want to shoot it and possibly go hunting with it at some point

mac5155

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby mac5155 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:15 pm

So I got myself really interested in purchasing a lever action rifle and decided to look into a Winchester 94

Turns out I won the auction on gunbroker for $750. I have about no idea what I’m doing so I’m just looking for confirmation that I didn’t screw myself at that price :slug:

I have one other gun, a Mannlicher 1895 that I’ve never tried to shoot but with the Winchester I do want to shoot it and possibly go hunting with it at some point
What caliber? Finish? Condition? 30-30? I know some were also made in some off caliber like 32-40 I think.

It's a bit high at first glance, but EVERYTHING is a bit high right now. It's TBD if it will come back down, but if it does, a Winchester 94 is one of the ones likely to actually come down.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:20 pm

30-30. In great condition according to the seller but I have no idea how to judge that

dodint

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby dodint » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:21 pm

I have been perusing Marlin 93 30-30s lately but there just are not enough out there for the market to ever come down I think. $750 is a good rate for those as well.

mac5155

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby mac5155 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:28 pm

30-30. In great condition according to the seller but I have no idea how to judge that
Yeah I would say that's about average then.

Long as it's what you wanted, it was a good deal!

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:34 pm

What I wanted, yes. What I needed, absolutely not lol

what’s the general rule for shooting rifles at indoor ranges? There an outdoor range ~30 mins from me but an indoor one a couple of mins away

mac5155

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby mac5155 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:01 pm

The only indoor range I know of is pistols only except for one day they let ARs in.

Im not sure I've ever heard of an indoor range that'll let you shoot a 30-30... :lol:

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:11 pm

I think Inpax could support rifles, but they went out of business. Not sure about others.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:15 pm

lol I told you I was a novice

mac5155

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby mac5155 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:18 pm

The real question is, do you have ammo in your possession?

If not... Image

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:40 pm

Nope. I’m guessing it’s impossible to find?

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:52 pm

For pricing guns, one can buy a one-month subscription to the Blue Book of Gun Values website for $3.95, if you don't need more long-term access. That's a very good resource for estimating values, and it's constantly updated. Although this year it might not be keeping up with the price increases.

https://www.bluebookofgunvalues.com/#/O ... bscription

mac5155

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby mac5155 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:55 pm

Nope. I’m guessing it’s impossible to find?
Comes down to cost again.

I'm sure you could find a box of 20 30-30 shells for 50 bucks. :lol'

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:00 am

Speaking of new guns, I was going to go pick up one of these tomorrow, but I heard from my FFL that it's already been lost in a tragic boating accident during shipping.

mac5155

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby mac5155 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:52 am

Again?! That's like the fifth time this year!

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:46 am

Speaking of new guns, I was going to go pick up one of these tomorrow, but I heard from my FFL that it's already been lost in a tragic boating accident during shipping.

Getting out the diving equipment...

Morkle

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Morkle » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:28 am

I think Inpax could support rifles, but they went out of business. Not sure about others.
Inpax closing sucks, but the range in Cranberry - Keystone Indoor Range also supports rifles.

I've shot my ARs there at least. They're rated up to 50 caliber, but I can't imagine a lever rifle would be an issue.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:08 pm

Again?! That's like the fifth time this year!
I know I should really stop checking the "leaky rickety boat" delivery" option, but it's so much cheaper, I just can't help it. One of these times I'll learn.

Morkle

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Morkle » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:23 pm

ATF withdraws pistol brace letter and comment approval after like 20+ reps send them a letter

tifosi77

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:53 pm

Shyster, you have like the absolute worst luck with boats.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:09 pm

Shyster, you have like the absolute worst luck with boats.

Jim

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Jim » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:27 pm

Pistol braces could be 100% outlawed... I don't see what the actual problem is.

Pistol brace use could be punishable by death. I don't understand why one person would be in danger.

Some of this stuff makes me think of like when a little kid would have done something, would never have considered doing something... but then a parent says not to do a thing... so the kid does it right away.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:46 am

Pistol brace use could be punishable by death. I don't understand why one person would be in danger.
The whole prohibition on short-barreled rifles and shotguns is an anachronism, makes no sense, and should be abolished.

First, as originally written, the National Firearms Act of 1934 would have also applied to pistols and revolvers. That's the whole reason the law places a minimum length on rifles and shotguns—namely, it was intended to close a loophole and prevent people from simply shortening rifles and shotguns into handguns. But the bill didn't get enough votes to pass Congress with the handgun stuff in place, so handguns were stripped out of the NFA. With no extra regulation on handguns, the whole reason for the ban on shortened rifles and shotguns evaporated.

Second, without the same NFA regulations also being applied to handguns, the regulations of rifles and shotguns makes no sense. For example, say I cut down a single-shot .22 rifle without going through the process to legally create an SBR. That's a federal felony. But there's no prohibition whatsoever on owning, say, a Glock 17, which carries 17 rounds of a vastly more powerful cartridge. Likewise, I'm a felon if I cut down a .410 double-barrel shotgun, but I can legally buy a Taurus Judge revolver that caries five rounds of .410. A short-barrel rifle in .223 requires a tax stamp and BATFE approval. A .50 AE Desert Eagle that fires bullets with twice the energy does not. The distinction between handguns and SBRs is purely arbitrary.

Third, the whole notion that handguns, along with other guns similar in size to handguns, were undeserving of any sort of legal protection has now been twice rejected by SCOTUS. Indeed, while the Supreme Court has declined thus far to say exactly what sorts of arms are or are not protected by the Second Amendment, there is one class of guns that it has said are protected and we know are constitutionally protected: handguns. Outlawing other types of guns because they are "too small" and similar to handguns makes no sense in a world where the Supreme Court has explicitly said that handgun ownership in the home is a constitutional right.

Fourth, the prohibition on short-barreled rifles and shotguns is based on outdated societal norms. Throughout most of history, the American public frowned on the concealed carry of firearms. It was thought that someone going about with a concealed handgun or similar firearm had "something to hide," and if they were honest and upright they would be carrying the gun openly, which was legal pretty much everywhere. Indeed, the whole notion of regulating handguns and other small firearms though the NFA was to crack own on concealable guns. Today, however, concealed carry is not only legal in every state,* but societal norms have reversed such that it is now open carry that is usually greeted with suspicion and alarm. Banning guns because they are concealable makes no sense in a world where concealed carry is not only legal, but expected.

* There is at least in theory a de jure legal process to obtain a concealed-carry permit in every state, although some states like Hawaii and New Jersey pretty much make it functionally impossible to ever actually get one.

mac5155

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby mac5155 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:18 am

But they are more dangerous because government said so!

Jim

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Jim » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:22 am

The whole prohibition on short-barreled rifles and shotguns is an anachronism, makes no sense, and should be abolished.

First, as originally written, the National Firearms Act of 1934 would have also applied to pistols and revolvers. That's the whole reason the law places a minimum length on rifles and shotguns—namely, it was intended to close a loophole and prevent people from simply shortening rifles and shotguns into handguns. But the bill didn't get enough votes to pass Congress with the handgun stuff in place, so handguns were stripped out of the NFA. With no extra regulation on handguns, the whole reason for the ban on shortened rifles and shotguns evaporated.

Second, without the same NFA regulations also being applied to handguns, the regulations of rifles and shotguns makes no sense. For example, say I cut down a single-shot .22 rifle without going through the process to legally create an SBR. That's a federal felony. But there's no prohibition whatsoever on owning, say, a Glock 17, which carries 17 rounds of a vastly more powerful cartridge. Likewise, I'm a felon if I cut down a .410 double-barrel shotgun, but I can legally buy a Taurus Judge revolver that caries five rounds of .410. A short-barrel rifle in .223 requires a tax stamp and BATFE approval. A .50 AE Desert Eagle that fires bullets with twice the energy does not. The distinction between handguns and SBRs is purely arbitrary.

Third, the whole notion that handguns, along with other guns similar in size to handguns, were undeserving of any sort of legal protection has now been twice rejected by SCOTUS. Indeed, while the Supreme Court has declined thus far to say exactly what sorts of arms are or are not protected by the Second Amendment, there is one class of guns that it has said are protected and we know are constitutionally protected: handguns. Outlawing other types of guns because they are "too small" and similar to handguns makes no sense in a world where the Supreme Court has explicitly said that handgun ownership in the home is a constitutional right.

Fourth, the prohibition on short-barreled rifles and shotguns is based on outdated societal norms. Throughout most of history, the American public frowned on the concealed carry of firearms. It was thought that someone going about with a concealed handgun or similar firearm had "something to hide," and if they were honest and upright they would be carrying the gun openly, which was legal pretty much everywhere. Indeed, the whole notion of regulating handguns and other small firearms though the NFA was to crack own on concealable guns. Today, however, concealed carry is not only legal in every state,* but societal norms have reversed such that it is now open carry that is usually greeted with suspicion and alarm. Banning guns because they are concealable makes no sense in a world where concealed carry is not only legal, but expected.

* There is at least in theory a de jure legal process to obtain a concealed-carry permit in every state, although some states like Hawaii and New Jersey pretty much make it functionally impossible to ever actually get one.

Odd for me, but I am not being a smartass with the following comment. And note, I am not anti-gun of any kind. Being that you mentioned it, I just bought a .410 revolver last month myself.

However, I honestly do not see how anything in your well written response address what I said. The me, the pro-pistol brace argument is literally nothing more than "give an inch they take a mile" kind of thing. Nothing more. It would be like arguing against outlawing tail-light blackouts because then the government will want to keep all vehicles unto 100 horsepower to fix fossil fuel issues. As if they are related at all, much less directly related. In that comparison I would not see any reason that anyone would be in danger of being in trouble for blackouts. (It's a stretch of an analogy, but it is just for discussion)

I also admit that there are a lot of contrary, contradictory, and flat out stupid laws for firearms. However, I think they stem mostly from people claiming that the 2nd Amendment is what it isn't. So face-palm laws stem from face-palm interpretations. Going back to the car thing, it is sort of like people saying that they don't need a drivers license or insurance because they are "traveling"(sovereign citizen stuff). Again, not a prime analogy because there is no Amendment about driving... just a mindset/point of view comparison.

(I am watching Chasing Classic Cars so that is where the car connection is coming in)