All Things Guns & Ammo

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:55 pm

Ruger has reintroduced the SP101 in .327 Federal Magnum (http://ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5773.html), this time with a longer barrel and adjustable sights. The .327 can also be loaded with the .32 H&R Magnum, the .32 S&W Long, and the .32 S&W Short. I really want one of these. I think this would make a fine plinker, and it would cost less to reload than a .38 Special.

Corvidae

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Corvidae » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:05 pm

Seems like a good round and I'm glad it's getting another chance.

As for revolvers, I'm interested in the re-release of the S&W 66

Guinness

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Guinness » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:16 pm

$150 at Cabelas.

Good enough for Zaytsev, good enough for me.

Sarcastic

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Sarcastic » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:25 pm

I had a BB rifle when I was a teenager.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:05 pm

I think the demand is there. If you go on Gunbroker and search for .32 revolvers, you'll see them selling for prices well over what they cost when new. I think S&W in particular is really missing the boat by not having a .32 for sale. For example, if you want a stainless .32 H&R Magnum like the Model 631, you're looking at prices that start at $1,500.

Those new 66'es are sweet guns. I've had a model 67 (the same gun in .38 Special only) on my wish list for quite a while. I think I'm glad I didn't buy before now, because it looks like the Model 67 is getting the same upgrades S&W made to the K frame for the model 66 like the ball-detent lockup at the front of the frame.

AuthorTony

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:15 pm

I had a BB rifle when I was a teenager.

Looks like the same one I had! :)

Corvidae

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Corvidae » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:36 am

So I took a 20 gauge to the range the other day. 18" barrel, smooth bore... not meant for distance by any means. I only go shooting once or twice a year, I don't hunt, and this is probably the 3rd time I've ever fired a shotgun. Needless to say, this combination of parameters lead me to believe that I wouldn't even be close.

These are some rifled slugs, standing position, at 50 yards:
Also random .38 special in the right shoulder to see if I could hit it that far out.

That's not bad at all and I'm really impressed with the gun. It's a Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge and I just bought it to have something around the house. If anyone is thinking about getting a shotgun I'd recommend taking a look at it, especially if you have some smaller individuals who may use it too and they won't be able to handle a 12 gauge.

tifosi77

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:28 pm

50 yds, not bad at all. I mean, except for those three 'warning shots' on the left. Still, prolly better than I could manage.

Corvidae

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Corvidae » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:19 pm

I think the demand is there. If you go on Gunbroker and search for .32 revolvers, you'll see them selling for prices well over what they cost when new. I think S&W in particular is really missing the boat by not having a .32 for sale. For example, if you want a stainless .32 H&R Magnum like the Model 631, you're looking at prices that start at $1,500.
Random question, are the .32s really, really loud, like .357 loud?

I know all guns are loud but I think the magnum rounds (and the .45 +P I just heard) are excessive, even with hearing protection.

Corvidae

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Corvidae » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:21 pm

50 yds, not bad at all. I mean, except for those three 'warning shots' on the left. Still, prolly better than I could manage.
Ha ha, yeah, I mean I am a total novice so I sort expected almost all "warning shots" with such a short barrel and no rifling. But it's safe to say that at 10 ft with #3 buck (God forbid), I'd probably be proficient. :lol:

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:42 pm

Indeed. Very good shooting with iron sights from the standing position. I've also heard recommendations for the 20 over the 12 gauge for home-defense purposes. It has lighter recoil and doesn't give up much to the 12 at across-the-room distances.
Random question, are the .32s really, really loud, like .357 loud?
I'm sure the .327 Federal is pretty loud, since it's loaded to the same pressures as a .357 Mag. The shorter/weaker cartridges in the family are probably less noisy. The .32 Long, for example, is pushing a roughly 100 gr. bullet at about 700 fps or so, which is roughly the same speed as a slow-ish .38 Special. That's not going to make that much noise.

If you want a noisy handgun, track down a .357 SIG. I really like the cartridge (you all may note I have a weak spot for somewhat oddball cartridges), but that sucker is loud. My .357 SIG auto is louder than my .357 Mag revolvers. It's rifle loud. If I'm shooting that, I'm wearing earplugs under my muffs.

dodint

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby dodint » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:28 pm

A Mossberg 500 is on my short list right now, but not sure about 20 gauge. Interesting read though.

tifosi77

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:35 pm

Weatherby shotguns; any good?

Corvidae

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Corvidae » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:56 pm

A Mossberg 500 is on my short list right now, but not sure about 20 gauge. Interesting read though.
Check out what the #3 buck does here:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-t ... e-shotgun/

And this dude who write's a lot lot lot of gun stuff seems to think pretty highly of them:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob120.html
Weatherby shotguns; any good?

Not familiar with Weatherby, just Mossberg and an 870 years ago.
Last edited by Corvidae on Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corvidae

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Corvidae » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:03 pm

If you want a noisy handgun, track down a .357 SIG. I really like the cartridge (you all may note I have a weak spot for somewhat oddball cartridges), but that sucker is loud. My .357 SIG auto is louder than my .357 Mag revolvers. It's rifle loud. If I'm shooting that, I'm wearing earplugs under my muffs.
I have heard this about the SIG and have considered getting a barrel for it to swap in my Glock 27 for the hell of it. Can't... imagine that I would enjoy shooting that too often, but it would be fun for the novelty sake and I've heard it's a extremely accurate round. I don't think I'd consider that an oddball cartridges, but it is definitely not common and losing even more steam as the years go by. I think Air Marshalls and the Secret Service still use it, though. Man, I would NOT want to be in the confined cabin where an Air Marshall needs to take a shot (besides the obvious reasons).

dodint

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby dodint » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:14 pm

Check out what the #3 buck does here:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-t ... e-shotgun/
Again, really interesting read and I don't disagree with you. That said, if I want one shotgun I'm going to just get the 12ga. I'm 6'4" 280lbs, recoil is not a factor and there are so many more options for ammo it's a no brainer. Even in the article above he alludes to the difficulty in procuring ammo for the 20ga. I suppose if i were buying for my wife I'd think differently but for right now it's just really cool trivia. Thanks for sharing.

Corvidae

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Corvidae » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:06 pm

I'm 6'4" 280lbs, recoil is not a factor and there are so many more options for ammo it's a no brainer.
Pffft, you should go for a 10 gauge. :lol:

But seriously, I don't even think I'd want to go near one of those.

dodint

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby dodint » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:30 pm

Not going to lie. I got cocky and was hip firing some 12ga Magnum shells and damn near flipped it. :lol:

Also, this:

Also, irt my wife and the 20 gauge. She didn't shy away from the DE.50 so the 12ga wasn't much of a problem. ;)
Last edited by dodint on Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:39 pm

I have heard this about the SIG and have considered getting a barrel for it to swap in my Glock 27 for the hell of it. Can't... imagine that I would enjoy shooting that too often, but it would be fun for the novelty sake and I've heard it's a extremely accurate round. I don't think I'd consider that an oddball cartridges, but it is definitely not common and losing even more steam as the years go by. I think Air Marshalls and the Secret Service still use it, though. Man, I would NOT want to be in the confined cabin where an Air Marshall needs to take a shot (besides the obvious reasons).
It might have dropped off since, but in the Jan/Feb 2011 issue of American Handgunner Massad Ayoob did a rundown of what calibers and guns were being carried by state troopers. The final total was:

9mm - 2
.45 GAP - 5
.45 ACP - 6
.357 SIG - 11
.40 S&W - 25

(This comes out to 49 because Hawaii doesn't have state troopers per se). Unless there's been a mass exodus, I think it's doing fine.

Willie Kool

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Willie Kool » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:01 am

Also, irt my wife and the 20 gauge. She didn't shy away from the DE.50 so the 12ga wasn't much of a problem. ;)

Corvidae

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Corvidae » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:20 am

9mm - 2
.45 GAP - 5
.45 ACP - 6
.357 SIG - 11
.40 S&W - 25
That's interesting. Also I wouldn't have expected 9 to be so low or anyone to be using GAP. :lol:

I think there's a mild trend recently with various agencies (local and state) switching from 40 to 9, but not sure if SIG is getting caught up in that (I still like the .40).

Kaiser

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Kaiser » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:21 am

My dad just bought a S&W AR15, and i couldnt stop holding it. so much tighter than what we used, and his holographic sight is especially sweet. cant wait to give it a whirl.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:15 pm

That's interesting. Also I wouldn't have expected 9 to be so low or anyone to be using GAP. :lol:

I think there's a mild trend recently with various agencies (local and state) switching from 40 to 9, but not sure if SIG is getting caught up in that (I still like the .40).
I've also heard of LEOs switching back to the 9mm. It's cheaper and the lower recoil helps officers keep their shots on target. Plus, I think it's a recognition that today's better bullet tech has significantly narrowed the performance gap between cartridges. It wouldn't surprise me if the .357 has lost some ground since that article; it is pretty expensive.

I've heard that gun companies offer big discounts for major agencies to buy their products, and it wouldn't surprise me if Glock were cutting serious deals on both guns and ammo for agencies to switch to the .45 GAP. And I bet SIG would offer (or already offers) a similar deal for agencies interested in the .357 SIG. It's pretty much a fixed market—there are only so many police departments—so I bet the competition is absolutely cutthroat for the major LEO contracts like state troopers, NYPD, FBI, etc.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:24 pm

FYI to CCW holders: last fall Ohio passed an amendment to the state's CCW statutes. One of the changes is that people who bear a valid CCW permit from their own state can "temporarily" carry in Ohio. This applies regardless of whether Ohio has entered into a formal reciprocity agreement with the other state:
A person who is temporarily in Ohio and has a valid concealed handgun license issued from another state, regardless of whether the other state has entered into a reciprocity agreement with the Attorney General, that out-of-state license will be recognized in Ohio during the time that the person is temporarily in Ohio.
So someone with a Pennsylvania CCW permit can now carry in Ohio during temporary visits. The visitor must comply with Ohio law while carrying in the state.

Corvidae

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Corvidae » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:27 pm

So someone with a Pennsylvania CCW permit can now carry in Ohio during temporary visits. The visitor must comply with Ohio law while carrying in the state.
Any idea what they consider temporary? I'll be in Cleveland for a weekend soon.