Greatest sports records

tifosi77

Greatest sports records

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:50 pm

I also read that one of his 1-hit games saw him line a single after the pitcher refused his manager's signal to walk him. So that's definitely luck there. (And by 'luck' I mean a favorable act or action outside of DiMaggio's direct control.)

mikey

Greatest sports records

Postby mikey » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:51 pm

I will admit to doing my search by phone and didn't use Google News. Or if I dip into the history section of HF, I'll probably find somebody who knows the record off the top of their head.

I know that place has a bad rap with some people, but the history section is all business.
That's where I live there. The rest of the board is 14 year olds with pogs...the history board we do it largely correct, IMO...

PFiDC

Greatest sports records

Postby PFiDC » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:56 pm

How has this not been posted yet?

MWB

Greatest sports records

Postby MWB » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:05 pm

Okay then. So Wilt Chamberlain's 100 point game was just luck of when he got all his points then right?
there's a significant difference between baseball and every other sport in this regard.

and like c2i said, it's not "just" luck, but luck plays enough of a factor for me to not give it the respect you'd like.

also, the NBA changed its rules because of how dominant wilt was. lightning definitely struck on the 100 point night, but his unique talents had more to do with that than dimaggio's did with his streak.
This doesn't make sense. Chamberlain was quite out of his norm statistically on that night. Twenty two point more than he'd ever scored. That one-time event would seem more "statistically lucky" to me than DiMaggio hitting better than his career average for a couple months, which isn't that uncommon. The streak part has luck to it, as any streak does. The hits themselves, not so much.

shmenguin

Greatest sports records

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:11 pm

Me and c2i can't give you anything else that hasn't been written already. We can drop this. I can't keep saying the same thing over and over. And neither can you.

MWB

Greatest sports records

Postby MWB » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:19 pm

I'm not trying to be a dick, and sorry if I come across that way. Was just trying to see what you consider luck, and wasn't sure.

Craig

Greatest sports records

Postby Craig » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:23 pm

Yes, you should agree to disagree, up until midnight, when you can finally admit that this is all an April fools joke.

shmenguin

Greatest sports records

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:25 pm

I'm not trying to be a dick, and sorry if I come across that way. Was just trying to see what you consider luck, and wasn't sure.
No don't get me wrong. I'm certainly being more of a dick here, but i just don't see a common understanding in the future. Maybe it's more of an abstract idea than I thought.

MWB

Greatest sports records

Postby MWB » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:29 pm

Just one question, then I'll drop it for good: do you think getting a hit is luck, or mostly luck?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Greatest sports records

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:37 pm

Just one question, then I'll drop it for good: do you think getting a hit is luck, or mostly luck?
I think I can answer that for both of us... absolutely not.

shmenguin

Greatest sports records

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:06 pm

There's an element of luck to it. When your failure rate is much higher than your success rate, it's tough to argue otherwise.

Mostly luck? Eh...not for me to say. I don't have that expertise.

Craig

Greatest sports records

Postby Craig » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:13 pm

is hitting a 3 point shot luck? You fail at that more than you succeed.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Greatest sports records

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:17 pm

I certainly wouldn't say it's luck just because you fail more times than you succeed. If I tried to get a hit on a major leaguer my batting average would be way below any professional. For me to get a hit, it's luck. For them to get a hit, it's mostly skill.

tifosi77

Greatest sports records

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:17 pm

You're doing really good as a hockey player if you're over 100 shots and you're shooting percentage is in the high teens.

shmenguin

Greatest sports records

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:22 pm

Come on with that analogy, tif

No Look Drop Pass

Greatest sports records

Postby No Look Drop Pass » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:27 pm

I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically with this album. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost.

columbia

Greatest sports records

Postby columbia » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:29 pm

The News were the backing band for the first Elvis Costello album.

tifosi77

Greatest sports records

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:31 pm

I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically with this album. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost.
Hey Paul!

shmenguin

Greatest sports records

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:34 pm

I certainly wouldn't say it's luck just because you fail more times than you succeed. If I tried to get a hit on a major leaguer my batting average would be way below any professional. For me to get a hit, it's luck. For them to get a hit, it's mostly skill.
The ratio of skill to luck changes as the talent increases, of course. For me it would be 99.9% luck with the .1 being that I know the bat is supposed to hit the ball in a forward motion. For pros, it's way more skill than that.

And 3 pointers in basketball? Yes. There is an element of luck. Some. But Kyle Korver adds the skill that gets him to where he is.

Is that such an odd notion?

MWB

Greatest sports records

Postby MWB » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:04 pm

Regarding failure rates, that's a function of whatever you're doing. To me, hitting a baseball is probably one of the hardest things in sports to do. Just that singular skill. Whereas the skill of shooting a basketball isn't nearly as hard. More of what makes a player good has to do with quickness and ability to get a shot off.

Rylan

Greatest sports records

Postby Rylan » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:34 pm

Regarding failure rates, that's a function of whatever you're doing. To me, hitting a baseball is probably one of the hardest things in sports to do. Just that singular skill. Whereas the skill of shooting a basketball isn't nearly as hard. More of what makes a player good has to do with quickness and ability to get a shot off.
For me that's why DiMaggio's streak has that higher level of luck that shmenguin is talking about. It's such a difficult thing to do, with a pitcher trying to get you to fail, and the amount of land 9 men can cover that you can't rely on just talent or skill. Its a sport that you can have a fantastic game grooving the ball and still end up 0fer. It doesn't diminish it for me, but I can where beating out a dribbler off the bat out for a hit is different to me. But that's why streaks impress.

shafnutz05

Greatest sports records

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:56 pm

Yeah, how many times do you hear "Wow, that guy's been blasting the ball the entire game"...two line drives to someone in the infield, one to the outfield, and....a walk.

Rylan

Greatest sports records

Postby Rylan » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:00 pm

Yeah, how many times do you hear "Wow, that guy's been blasting the ball the entire game"...two line drives to someone in the infield, one to the outfield, and....a walk.
Exactly. You can place a ball to an area, sure. If the pitch is where you can do that. Hence the golf analogy is wrong. You can take what you are given, but that doesn't mean you'll get a hit no matter how skilled. Its impressive to me that it took all the planets lining up and the stars twinkling at the same time for one man to hit in 56 straight games, batting avg be damned.

MWB

Greatest sports records

Postby MWB » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:03 pm

So, as Craig said, he wasn't unlucky.

Rylan

Greatest sports records

Postby Rylan » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:04 pm

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone. Just marveling for myself. Jerk....