Comedy and Humor

Tomas

Comedy and Humor

Postby Tomas » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:43 pm

Somewhat tangential and not fit for this thread...but, the two German soldiers that try to surrender and beg for their lives at the beginning of Saving Private were conscripted Czech soldiers pleading in Czech. That got by me for over 20 years. The Americans quickly wasted them.
It's a little strange that this particular scene was shown in the movie (unless they simply hired 2 extras who happened to speak the language). While is is certainly possible that some people of Czech origin ended up fighting in Wehrmacht, I think the numbers were quite small. I am no historian, but as far as I understand:

"real" Czechs who lived in the occupied Protectorate Bohemia-Moravia were not eligible to get drafted because they were not German citizen, so the only ways how a Czech would end up in the German Army were:
- if, following the split of Austro-Hungarian Empire in 1918, the Czech stayed in Austria (which was later annexed by Germany and all its citizen turned into "Germans"). That is certainly a possibility, because e.g. a lot of Czechs used to live in Vienna before 1918, though I think that between 1918-1938 quite a lot of people left poor post-war Austria to return to the much richer Czechoslovakia
- or, if the Czech stayed in the annexed Sudetenland in 1938 (as all citizen of Sudetenland were also immediately turned into Germans without exception). AFAIK, vast majority of Czechs left their homes after Sudetenland was annexed and moved inland into Bohemia and Moravia, so pretty much the only people staying were partners in mixed marriages. Again, I am not a historian, but I don't think many people fell into this category, as Czechs and Germans were quite segregated in those times. (I was born in in one of the "iconic" small Czech towns - with nearly 100% Czech population - but grew up something like 12 miles away in a town that - before all Germans were expelled in 1945 - was nearly 100% German. Interestingly, 1945 population of that town was 30K+, while the present population is about 20K...)
- or, if the Czech inside the Protectorate Bohemia-Moravia suddenly remembered that he actually has German ancestors, and applied for German citizenship...

Tomas

Comedy and Humor

Postby Tomas » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:09 pm

I've been up watching/listening to Bibiglia a lot as well. Definitely different than most. He's got a unique style. He's a fantastic story teller.
I think he hit the nail on the head when he said in his one stand up something along the lines of: "I'm not a person that does thing. I'm a person that things happen to..."

I know a lot of people like that. My best friend is that dude. You hear some of the stuff he's experienced in his life and you think "Wait... that all can't happen to the same person." If you listen to Fake Doctors Real Friends at all (I only listened to a few before quitting) Sarah Chalke is apparently the same way. Some people just have stuff happen to them all the time. To have that plus the ability to tell a good story, you have Mike Birbiglia.
I would somewhat disagree with the fact that strange things happen to Birbiglia. I'd say that Birbiglia is a phenomenal story teller because he can turn quite a regular life he lives into a series of really captivating one-man plays. The only somewhat odd thing in his life is the sleepwalking. But then:
- his first girlfriend was a really bad person? Happens to a lot of people.
- he did not ever want to get married, and then he did? I know quite a lot of people like that.
- his future wife did not think she needs a US passport to travel? I *have* a colleague who thought exactly that and cost us partnership with a foreign university when he did not show up.
- he had to fight an insurance company because a stupid cop wrote the car accident details incorrectly? What an awesome story the way he talks about that, but I suspect it happens quite often.
- David O. Russell gets angry after Birbiglia tells that awesome joke? I'd be surprised if Russell did NOT storm out.
- Birbiglia has problems with being a father? Welcome to my world! :)

dodint

Comedy and Humor

Postby dodint » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:18 pm

@Tomas

I have a source!

12:45 to 14:35. Now, he does hedge it with "most likely." It doesn't seem to align with your observations. Not speaking to the veracity of either sides claims, but if you want to view the video and tell me it's wrong I will believe you. ;) His claim is based on the annex of Czechoslovakia in 1939, not anything that happened in 1918. It's Wikipedia, but as a cursory glance the fact is substantiated: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wehrmacht ... conscripts

I have a history degree but this isn't my specialty.

Tomas

Comedy and Humor

Postby Tomas » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:50 pm

@Tomas

I have a source!

12:45 to 14:35. Now, he does hedge it with "most likely." It doesn't seem to align with your observations. Not speaking to the veracity of either sides claims, but if you want to view the video and tell me it's wrong I will believe you. ;) His claim is based on the annex of Czechoslovakia in 1939, not anything that happened in 1918. It's Wikipedia, but as a cursory glance the fact is substantiated: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wehrmacht ... conscripts

I have a history degree but this isn't my specialty.
Can't talk about other countries the "history buff" talks about, but, at least in case of Czechs, POW, for example, mostly does not apply (Czechoslovak Army was ordered by the Munich Agreement of 1938 to vacate Sudetenland without a fight, and the rest of the country was annexed in March of 1939 also without a fight). This link describes the situation a little closer to my understanding: https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=68956 Particularly the sentence: "Nobody without Volkliste (with Czech nationality) serwed in Wehrmacht or SS units."

dodint

Comedy and Humor

Postby dodint » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:59 pm

That's the thing I keep coming up against. Everything about it makes sense, except the Czech part. Had they gone with Ukraine it would have been a slam dunk.

Perhaps someone on the production staff wanted to lend a nod to their obscure heritage and slipped it in.

tifosi77

Comedy and Humor

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:18 pm

We're off topic at this point, but recall in Ambrose's text he made a point of the Germans using conscripts from occupied countries as cannon fodder/speed bumps all along the Atlantic Wall. The actual combat-savvy Wermacht infantry units were generally held in reserve so they could be redeployed where needed when the Allies landed (with the belief being it would be Pas-de-Calais, not Normandy).

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Comedy and Humor

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:00 pm

dodint

Comedy and Humor

Postby dodint » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:11 pm

I have been having a rediscovery of Emo Phillips lately. I have always known about him but never really got into it. Now I am completely captivated. It's so uncomfortable to watch him work but you can't help but just get swept into it.

PFiDC

Comedy and Humor

Postby PFiDC » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:24 pm

Steve Hofstetter is moving to Pittsburgh and opening Steel City Arts Foundation. He's one of my favorite comedians mostly known for his heckler videos. Pretty cool stuff. I don't see a website yet but here's a link to the FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/SteelCityAF/

PFiDC

Comedy and Humor

Postby PFiDC » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:25 pm

I have been having a rediscovery of Emo Phillips lately. I have always known about him but never really got into it. Now I am completely captivated. It's so uncomfortable to watch him work but you can't help but just get swept into it.
His bit in UHF is classic.

blackjack68

Comedy and Humor

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:06 pm

shafnutz05

Comedy and Humor

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:29 pm

That's a great way to describe him.

PFiDC

Comedy and Humor

Postby PFiDC » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:29 pm

Steve Hofstetter is moving to Pittsburgh and opening Steel City Arts Foundation. He's one of my favorite comedians mostly known for his heckler videos. Pretty cool stuff. I don't see a website yet but here's a link to the FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/SteelCityAF/
I saw an ad for a business administrator position for Steel City Arts Foundation about a week ago. Decided to send my resume in Tuesday. I interviewed with Steve today. Felt like it went well. I'd basically be running the business side while Steve and the board of directors handle the talent. Super unique opportunity.

BOD
Elayne Boosler - one of the true legends of comedy, Elayne is known for both her giving nature and for her success in doing things her way. When networks turned her down for a special, she self-funded it - and the success of that special led to sold out theatre tours and command performances for presidents and royalty. Seven specials later, Elayne has done everything from host a game show to host a presidential debate.

Greg Proops - One of the stars of the Original "Whose Line is it Anyway", Greg isn't just a stand-up comedian, but an improv master. He's also one of the premiere political comedy voices, hosting his "Smartest Man in the World" podcast for the last decade.

Josh Wolf - Having appeared on Chelsea Lately over 100 times and hosting his own show on CMT didn't make Josh a household name - what did that was a combination of a killer act and a willingness to embrace social media. Josh's clips have hundreds of millions of views, and he has 2.5 million followers on Facebook and YouTube combined.

Arian Foster - a non-drafted free-agent running-back, Arian went from the practice squad to leading the NFL in rushing in less than two years. But football was always a means to an end for Foster, who retired at age 30 and re-invented himself as the host of one of the top podcasts in the world. He then launched a third career, releasing albums and touring sold-out shows as recording artist Bobby Feeno. Arian isn't just a mentor for mucisians and podcasters, but for those who understand that your first career doesn't have to be your last.

Justine Ezarik - Better known to her fans as iJustine, this Pittsburgh-area native is as self-made as they come. One of the original live streamers, iJustine has built a following of over 13 million people on various social media. Her accessibility, creativity, work ethic, and love of technology has earned her a devoted following and a career that revolves around the exact content she wants to create.

Jeru Tillman - A producer, manager, and promoter, Jeru knows the business of comedy inside and out. Executive producing titles like All Def Comedy and roasts and specials for stars like Snoop Dogg, Tillman's creativity behind the scenes will be a huge asset to talent seeking to turn their art into a business.

Zara Bending - If we're going to educate, we need someone who understands education. A law lecturer at Macquarie University, Zara also has experience with non-profits, including some amazing work with the Jane Goodall Institute. She's a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and a two-time winner of a Vice-Chancellor's teaching award, one of the most prestigious teaching honors in Australia

blackjack68

Comedy and Humor

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:00 pm

Good luck! And that board is pretty impressive

PFiDC

Comedy and Humor

Postby PFiDC » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:45 pm

Thanks man!

He just emailed me asking for references so I'm hoping that's the final hurdle.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Comedy and Humor

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:54 pm

Good luck

PFiDC

Comedy and Humor

Postby PFiDC » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:47 pm

Got the job. I am officially the Director of Operations at Steel City Arts Foundation.

DigitalGypsy66

Comedy and Humor

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:51 pm

Congrats!

skullman80

Comedy and Humor

Postby skullman80 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:05 pm

Got the job. I am officially the Director of Operations at Steel City Arts Foundation.
:thumb: :thumb:

shafnutz05

Comedy and Humor

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:16 pm

Congrats!!

mikey

Comedy and Humor

Postby mikey » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:57 pm

Way to go, boss man...

Shyster

Comedy and Humor

Postby Shyster » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:57 pm