Comedy and Humor

shafnutz05

Comedy and Humor

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:26 pm

The man is really an under appreciated comedic talent.

Genius level.
Yes, Brooks is awesome. The impersonation kit from Carson was utter genius.

shafnutz05

Comedy and Humor

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:17 pm

Moving to this thread to not clog up the RIP thread.

This is great stuff...they don't make banter like this anymore.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Comedy and Humor

Postby iamjs » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:42 pm

was going through Don Rickles' wiki page right after Regis died and didn't realize there was a good chance he would have been shot in 1972 had he not declined an offer to hang out with a mobster after a show.
Rickles befriended mobster "Crazy" Joe Gallo following a performance at the Copacabana in 1972. Gallo, whom Rickles had ribbed mercilessly during his set despite being warned not to do so, accepted Rickles' ribbings in good humor and invited him to Umberto's Clam House after the show. Rickles declined the offer. That night, a gunfight erupted at Umberto's, killing Gallo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Rickles
Two months after opening on April 7, 1972, New York gangster Joe Gallo was shot and killed at the restaurant. His party of family and friends (including his daughter, wife, and bodyguard) had stopped for an early morning snack after celebrating his 43rd birthday at the Copacabana. A rival gangster spotted him and sent in hitmen shortly after Gallo was seated at a butcher block table in a back corner. After sustaining five shots, Gallo stumbled out into the street and died.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbertos_Clam_House
About 10 years ago, David Letterman asked Don Rickles about having to work in mob-owned places early in his career. Rickles quickly corrected Letterman, and said it wasn’t so long ago he was still dealing with wise guys and such.

As a favor, he played the Copacabana in 1972, then owned by a shady character. The owner warned him “Crazy Joey” Gallo was out in front. He told Don this heavy-duty mobster could be friendly but had a ferocious temper. He strongly advised Rickles to lay off Gallo.

Rickles: “Dave, that’s like waving a red cape in front of me. Toro! I went after him all night, and he LOVED it! Tears down his cheeks!” Rickles said Gallo came backstage and warmly begged Don to join him and his pals at Umberto’s Clam Broth House. Rickles came up with excuses, and got out of it. This was fortunate for the world of comedy.

That night at around 5 a.m., four gangsters came into Umberto’s and disposed of Gallo with .38s and .45s. This was seen as extremely negative feedback for the Colombo hit.
https://buffalonews.com/opinion/columni ... 11456.html

NTP66

Comedy and Humor

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:04 pm

It's impossible to hate Rickles, and I'd have loved to see him in person and have him rip into me, too.

Dickie Dunn

Comedy and Humor

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:20 pm

was going through Don Rickles' wiki page right after Regis died and didn't realize there was a good chance he would have been shot in 1972 had he not declined an offer to hang out with a mobster after a show.
Rickles befriended mobster "Crazy" Joe Gallo following a performance at the Copacabana in 1972. Gallo, whom Rickles had ribbed mercilessly during his set despite being warned not to do so, accepted Rickles' ribbings in good humor and invited him to Umberto's Clam House after the show. Rickles declined the offer. That night, a gunfight erupted at Umberto's, killing Gallo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Rickles
Two months after opening on April 7, 1972, New York gangster Joe Gallo was shot and killed at the restaurant. His party of family and friends (including his daughter, wife, and bodyguard) had stopped for an early morning snack after celebrating his 43rd birthday at the Copacabana. A rival gangster spotted him and sent in hitmen shortly after Gallo was seated at a butcher block table in a back corner. After sustaining five shots, Gallo stumbled out into the street and died.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbertos_Clam_House
About 10 years ago, David Letterman asked Don Rickles about having to work in mob-owned places early in his career. Rickles quickly corrected Letterman, and said it wasn’t so long ago he was still dealing with wise guys and such.

As a favor, he played the Copacabana in 1972, then owned by a shady character. The owner warned him “Crazy Joey” Gallo was out in front. He told Don this heavy-duty mobster could be friendly but had a ferocious temper. He strongly advised Rickles to lay off Gallo.

Rickles: “Dave, that’s like waving a red cape in front of me. Toro! I went after him all night, and he LOVED it! Tears down his cheeks!” Rickles said Gallo came backstage and warmly begged Don to join him and his pals at Umberto’s Clam Broth House. Rickles came up with excuses, and got out of it. This was fortunate for the world of comedy.

That night at around 5 a.m., four gangsters came into Umberto’s and disposed of Gallo with .38s and .45s. This was seen as extremely negative feedback for the Colombo hit.
https://buffalonews.com/opinion/columni ... 11456.html
I read that not too long ago. Crazy story.

shafnutz05

Comedy and Humor

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:22 pm

I cannot even imagine performing in front of those crowds. Rickles had brass balls.

shafnutz05

Comedy and Humor

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:15 am

I was watching the last appearance of Robin Williams on Carson. Johnny loved him and asked him to be on his penultimate show (and the last one with guests).

Man, this was Robin at his best. Just an absurdly quick wit. Love hearing him joke about the 1992 election.

shafnutz05

Comedy and Humor

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:58 pm

shafnutz05

Comedy and Humor

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:42 pm

shafnutz05

Comedy and Humor

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:47 am

Ten great minutes.

NTP66

Comedy and Humor

Postby NTP66 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:53 pm

I mentioned it before, but Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood have a two man improv show that is hysterical. With Covid, they've turned to virtual shows that also include members of the audience (i.e., you) via Zoom. May have to do this again soon:

https://passportshows.com/portfolio/str ... ciousness/

PFiDC

Comedy and Humor

Postby PFiDC » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:42 pm

I mentioned it before, but Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood have a two man improv show that is hysterical. With Covid, they've turned to virtual shows that also include members of the audience (i.e., you) via Zoom. May have to do this again soon:

https://passportshows.com/portfolio/str ... ciousness/
I saw them back in about 2007-8 in Baltimore. Very good show.

shafnutz05

Comedy and Humor

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:47 pm

Bill Burr on "fatphobia" (NSFW language).

AuthorTony

Comedy and Humor

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:57 pm

That's what passes for comedy these days? Burr sounds like my uncle at Thanksgiving after he had a few too many Old Milwaukee's.

tifosi77

Comedy and Humor

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:03 pm

There seems to be a growing trend in comedy where contrarianism has taken the place of actually being funny. It seems to have started after 9/11 (which absolutely broke Dennis Miller's ability to tell jokes), and has expanded in the era of campus cancel culture. It's like just railing on that is now what passes as 'funny' for some comedians, who in the past I regarded as being at the pinnacle of the craft. It's depressing.

meecrofilm

Comedy and Humor

Postby meecrofilm » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:43 pm

There seems to be a growing trend in comedy where contrarianism has taken the place of actually being funny. It seems to have started after 9/11 (which absolutely broke Dennis Miller's ability to tell jokes), and has expanded in the era of campus cancel culture. It's like just railing on that is now what passes as 'funny' for some comedians, who in the past I regarded as being at the pinnacle of the craft. It's depressing.
Yes.

Jim

Comedy and Humor

Postby Jim » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:36 pm

Yes.
I point to things like Crank Yankers and Borat and such as the problem. Things with zero humor value being pushed as comedy.

A second level reason would be that those darn kids today don't do any actual thinking. They either take things for face or assume other people's opinions are correct and don't think about it. Therefore the "joke" have to be obvious, spot lighted. You show a 15-20 year old old George Carlin stuff and they will not laugh once, because it will be all completely over their head. Today it is spoon feed or go home.

shafnutz05

Comedy and Humor

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:20 pm

This is one enjoyable hour. Norm is of course awesome, and Super Dave is hilarious in a low-key way.

Dickie Dunn

Comedy and Humor

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:59 pm

I don't know why it took me so long to get around to watching him (I remember seeing an episode of his sitcom and not liking it?), but John Mulaney is hilarious. The Fugitive sidebar during his Bill Clinton story during The Comeback Kid was just fantastic.

Tomas

Comedy and Humor

Postby Tomas » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:39 pm

If you like Mulaney, you may like this. It's something you typically don't see in late night show interviews:

The importance of the coat explained here:

blackjack68

Comedy and Humor

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:43 pm

Colin Quinn & Friends Parking Lot Comedy Show new on HBO Max is exactly what you would expect if you know Colin Quinn.

meecrofilm

Comedy and Humor

Postby meecrofilm » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:21 am

Yes.
I point to things like Crank Yankers and Borat and such as the problem. Things with zero humor value being pushed as comedy.
They might not be everybody's cup of tea, but Crank Yankers, and Borat in particular, hardly qualify as "contrarianism."

I think Tif's point is, many comedians now, even veterans who used to have legitimate A-material, are now just going the "I'll just say something that isn't widely accepted, purely to get a reaction, and pass it off as comedy/jokes since I'm a comedian," route, which isn't very entertaining to say the least.

tifosi77

Comedy and Humor

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:02 pm

Yes, that is exactly my point. I sort of hate saying this, because I'm not really a fan, but this is one area where I think Bill Maher has emerged standing a little taller than many of his peers. There's actual thought and humor behind his complaints about things like cancel culture, where other guys - Burr, Chappelle, etc - just seem to be like, "You are stupid and you suck" and call it a day. I don't disagree with the point they're making, but they're just shaking their fists at the clouds and trying to pass it off as funny, and it just isn't.

Put it another way: It comes off as punching down, not up, and that rarely works.

mikey

Comedy and Humor

Postby mikey » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:54 pm

It pains me to say that Burr and Chappelle have slipped like they have...and they're the two biggest names that fell the furthest too...

They are two of my all-time favorites and two of the greatest stand-ups in history really at this point...Burr had like four, five specials or something that he absolutely murdered in almost wire to wire...

Now, they had the farthest to fall because of their stature...it was like Peyton Manning's last season, it was such a horrific season, you could barely watch it...but if Ryan Tannehill had that season, you'd be like, "Huh, give that guy a slight raise..." *nodding, bottom lip thrust outward*

NTP66

Comedy and Humor

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:46 pm

Are you saying Chappelle has slipped based on his SNL monologue, or are you taking about his last few Netflix specials?