Underground cables and property rights question

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:32 pm

I found out that over the weekend, the cable company came on my property (without letting me know) and started preparing for digging the cables for my neighbor house. The main cable "pole" for our two houses sits right on the property line, but for some reason (the neighbor has more construction done on his side?) they had the cable flags all laid down on my side, as much as 12(?) feet inside my property), about 50 yards long, parallel to the property line, until they take 90-degree turn straight to the neighbor's house.

I am rather shocked that the cable company came in without even ringing the doorbell or calling my number. Does anybody know if there are any rules/regulations for such underground cable installations? Thanks!!

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:43 pm

There are regulations, and they are all local I believe. Utility companies in my neighborhood have access on the front, back and side property lines for 6 feet I think. They usually make an attempt to let me know (knock on the door, or put a flyer in my mailbox), but I don't think they are legally obligated to do so.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:49 pm

There are regulations, and they are all local I believe. Utility companies in my neighborhood have access on the front, back and side property lines for 6 feet I think. They usually make an attempt to let me know (knock on the door, or put a flyer in my mailbox), but I don't think they are legally obligated to do so.
Thanks! Would the cable company be then obliged to return the property surface back to its original condition? (Such as repairing the lawn, etc.)

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:57 pm

Thanks! Would the cable company be then obliged to return the property surface back to its original condition? (Such as repairing the lawn, etc.)
Yes. If you know they are coming in advance, I would take pictures of the area where they plan to do work.

EDIT: Since this is work that they've already done, you could take "after" photographs and send them to them. If they're half-decent human beings they'll re-do the lawn properly.