Restaurant Recommendations

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:36 pm

Thx for the recommendations, we went to Cafe IO and it was great. I had a hot blue cheese burger which was great, but Mrs. F had brisket which I would have gotten if I had to do it again. She gave me a piece and was lucky I didn't just shove my face in it and finish the rest.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:11 am

I don't know your definition of inexpensive, but in Lebo you've got Il Pizzaiolo, Cafe iO, Mediterra, Gordo's Taco Diablo, Totopo, Aladdin's, and Sesame Inn. South Hills Village area of USC you've got The Porch and Bonefish Grill. Pabellon on Banksville is fantastic. If you want the full South Hills yinzer experience just go to Pasta Too in Bethel Park and act like it's the height of culture and cuisine.
shut your whore mouth
I love Pasta Too.
when my wife worked in the south hills, all of her patients would go to pasta too after their colonoscopies. cracked me up every time everyone would say 'were going to pasta too' akin to 'were going to disney world!'

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:19 am

That's been built since I lived there. What used to be there?

I delivered Pizza/Hoagies for Danny's for three summers and went through that intersection hundreds of times at least.
Denny's

RIP

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:22 am

when my wife worked in the south hills, all of her patients would go to pasta too after their colonoscopies. cracked me up every time everyone would say 'were going to pasta too' akin to 'were going to disney world!'
Pasta Too started right around when I was at the end of my HS years at Bethel.

People would rave about it, and I remember getting some takeout once when they used to have their hole in the wall location, and having an overwhelming "meh" response. I don't think I've had it since.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:39 am

The mom and pop hole-in-the-wall Pasta Too was exactly what you expect (btw TL, Pasta Too was always the name of their restaurant, and the old location was there when we moved in just down the street in 1985. New location was maybe late 90's?). It was good, but they upped their game when they moved to the intersection of death.

Had a Danny's hoagie a couple weeks ago and while it was good, it wasn't 90's Danny's good.

The ultimate BP experience is the bakery. Rivals Oakmont imo.

Also, RIP Fiori's and Warehouse Cafe. Best pizza and best calzone.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:43 am

That’s funny, i lived in bethel from 1987 to 2000, don’t remember ever learning about that place until the end of high school. But, it’s not like I cared about restaurants then

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:51 am

Blue Dust in Homestead is closing on Sept 17th. Bummer.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:51 pm

That sucks. Blue dust would not be on any “best of” list but it definitely served a good purpose. A beer selection with a bit of thought put into it and a pretty good menu. Hopefully it is replaced with a fast casual chain with 20 dollar salads or something with artisanal cheese sticks priced outrageously

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:06 pm

Yeah it’s a cozy hole in the wall with good food that you wouldn’t expect to find in a bar. The location is a bit odd though.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:10 pm

Perogie night at blue dust was always a good time

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:49 am

Taking my kid to Jerry’s Records then to see Stop Making Sense at Row House tonight. Anyone got a good fast-ish food recommendation somewhere between Squirrel Hill and Lawrenceville?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:15 am

Taking my kid to Jerry’s Records then to see Stop Making Sense at Row House tonight. Anyone got a good fast-ish food recommendation somewhere between Squirrel Hill and Lawrenceville?
Cool dad vibes.

Very familiar with this route. I think the big consideration here is parking. It will probably be annoying to park in squirrel hill in the afternoon, and even more annoying to park in lawrenceville at night. So I would recommend either finding a place in squirrel hills after Jerry's, or something in Lawrenceville before the show. Not sure exactly what fast-ish means here. But, there is one en-route option I would consider if you mean a nicer fast food joint, and that's the new little plaza on liberty in Bloomfield that has Roots and Five Guys. That would be easy.

I would just do Aiellos or Mineos though. You're right there.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:23 am

Yeah may just stop for a slice. I can usually find something within a couple minutes at Jerry’s but definitely more concerned about Lawrenceville.

May end up with just popcorn if time gets too short.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:03 am

Is the empanada place by row house any good? I’d imagine that’s pretty quick service.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:32 am

RIP Franktuary

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:19 pm

This fits here as well as anywhere I guess, but we hit up this little French bakery in Millvale this morning after Black Friday Record Store Day at the Attic. Consensus is absolutely spectacular. Got various pasties and a box of macarons.

I had never heard of a Kouign Amann, but you need one.

http://www.jeanmarcchatellier.com/

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:10 pm

Big fan of that place. It was closed for a long time this year and the reopening was a huge deal in our house. I believe we spent about $125 on our first visit back.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:16 pm

I remember it was closed on regular RSD back in April. Glad they're back open.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:07 am

My group at work has gone from Houston-centric to having 3 in Houston, 2 in Pittsburgh, 2 in Salt Lake, 1 in Buffalo and 1 in Charlotte (hooray for WFH). So, my boss has started rotating quarterly staff meetings among locations with multiple team members. March is right here in the Steel City.

Any recommendations for group dinners/evening activities downtown or an easy Uber ride? Possible Pens game on the 26th.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:52 am

Maybe check out Sienna Mercato. You could do dinner at Mezzo then head up to the rooftop beer garden for the "evening activity." That stretch of Penn has some other decent places like Bridges and Bourbon, Bakersfield, Nicky's Thai Kitchen, and the Eagle if you're not feeling Mezzo. Gaucho is farther down and I haven't been there in a while but it was super good when it was located in the Strip.

As for evening activities, that's going to be pretty limited downtown especially on week nights. Mama Mia will be in town that week. I think the first few rounds of March Madness will be at PPG Paints around that time as well but I think that's over the weekend.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:36 am

Just don’t do Sullivan that place blows

For activities, maybe 5 iron golf ? If the group has golfers

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:46 am

August Henry's is in the area too

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:25 pm

What's good near the airport? We're staying at the airport tomorrow night and won't get into the area until 8ish. Will probably just pick something in Robinson but maybe there is a standout recommendation worth going to.

A work buddy recommends Brick N' Mortar in Heidelberg.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:29 pm

I swear I've seen that place on a Food Network show, and the food looked terrific.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:32 pm

What's good near the airport? We're staying at the airport tomorrow night and won't get into the area until 8ish. Will probably just pick something in Robinson but maybe there is a standout recommendation worth going to.

Eh there's not much in Robinson other than chains. Central Diner is a solid breakfast option though.