Just Another Podcast Thread

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:33 am

Episode 1 has been in my queue for a while now. I think I need a break from the true crime pods.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:51 am

Started Believed last week. Really good so far. Delves into what happened with Nassar. Psychology of how people are believed or not believed in these cases is interesting.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:01 pm

Serial Season 3 has found its footing again. They realized they don’t need to find just one case to dig into. It’s pretty darn good. Up to episode 4

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:33 pm

It peters out on the back half but is still very good. They admit up front they move away from the case following to the broader themes and it loses a little steam.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:44 pm

Been listening to “Happy Face” it’s very interesting, I’m on episode 11 but there is one thing that seems to really stick out to me.

I think his daughter Melissa is 75% playing up her victim card. What really sticks out to me are two things,

1. When she talks about things her dad did or said to her growing up, she says them in a way that is begging the question of, “how are you going to react to what I’m saying.” In there words how can she manipulate someone with what she says.

2. Anytime she goes into hysterics like when she talks with the son of one of her Dad’s victims or when she reads a letter from her Dad it gives a vibe of too much, too over the top, and attention seeking. Almost like her brains says, “this is how you should be reacting to this.” And she goes over the top to bring more attention to herself or to shift the attention back to her.

I like the podcast but man she comes off as very insincere in my opinion.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:08 am

Serial season 3 sounds like it'll be fun.

Dr. Death is terrifying.
listned to dr death driving to and fro bedford springs. i am particularly interested as it touches my daily work. while i do think that duntsch was a real piece of **** and deserves whatever punishment comes his way due to his lack of selfawareness and disregard for human well being, there was a complete and fundamental breakdown in his training and credentialing. i imagine the university of tennessee is shitting their pants a little bit after putting somebody through their fellowship program who was completely unprepared from a clinical standpoint. the medical staff credentialing process is also at fault here for not having a rigorous oppe/fppe to check in on this guy (i imagine it would be a little difficult since he was right out of fellowship, but there should be a degree of proctoring in a situation like this with such a highly trained surgical subspecialty).

very interesting story
I'm just about to start the last episode, and I agree. At the end of the day it was all about $$$ for everyone involved. Duntsch was getting his high six figure paycheck to go and be incompetent, the hospitals wanted to hire a neurosurgeon because they bring in millions to a hospital, the hospitals didn't want to fire him or cause a fuss for fear of him suing them... it's just all money and no care about what's right for the patient because everyone just assumes doctors will do what's right.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:16 pm

Finished up the last episode of the 6 initial parts (haven't started and don't plan to listen to any of the bonus stuff). What a disappointing end. Spoilers for anyone else that's planning to listen:
They build it up the whole time that this guy was doing it on purpose. He was going around hurting people for some reason. I don't think that's what was really going on, and they kind of allude to that in the final episode that the dude was just a completely inept surgeon that slipped through the cracks. While not only being inept, he thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:44 pm

I've started to listen to the Dan Patrick Show podcast and have enjoyed it.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:30 am

Halfway through the last episode of Dirty John. Ya know who I think is the real bad guy?
The grandma. I know you’re not supposed to blame victims, but g’damn. You raised a kid that had a possessive husband shoot her in the back of the head in cold blood and you campaign hard enough on his behalf that he only serves a couple years in jail, and then you’ve got another kid who is on her 5th marriage and finds a dude like John and even after she finds out everything about him, she takes him back, and your granddaughter has to kill him to save her own life.

It’s one of those “why does all this bad stuff keep happening to me?!?” Maybe because you’re a dumbass?

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:18 pm

I'm almost caught up to the newest episode of Cold... jfc. This stuff is terrifying.

The podcast is about the disappearance of Susan Powell (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappear ... san_Powell). They tell you how the story ends up front, but the wild ride along the way is crazy. I'm hooked.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:48 pm

I didn’t get far in that Wikipedia article...Yikes.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:24 am

Mobituaries with Mo Rocca is not good. :\ It should be good, but it just never seems to achieve liftoff. Disappointed because I rarely try new podcasts since I can't keep up with the ones I'm subscribed to and this one just didn't pan out.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:36 am

Been really getting into Behind the Bastards. The John Mcafee one is pretty great

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:45 am

Leon Neyfakh has a new podcast out about Bush Vs Gore. Looks like there's a paywall though, I don't understand what this Luminary podcast app is. Seems like it's the same thing as apple podcast. But anyways, I'm not paying for podcast content.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:48 am

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:48 am

Leon Neyfakh has a new podcast out about Bush Vs Gore. Looks like there's a paywall though, I don't understand what this Luminary podcast app is. Seems like it's the same thing as apple podcast. But anyways, I'm not paying for podcast content.
I don't mind Stitcher Premium or Patreon since that mostly is for either additional content or early content before it goes free. But yeah, if the ONLY option is pay to listen, I'll pass. That's a quick way to make sure your podcast fails to gain any sort of audience.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:31 pm

White Lies from NPR has been interesting thus far. Certainly more interesting if you've never heard the story of Jim Reeb before (like me).

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:00 am

@Malkinismyhomeboy

Just listened to Friday's show. I'm both surprised and relieved to hear that Chatter is dead, at least as a podcasting studio. Although I liked the concept, their execution of the idea was poor. Listening to a professional podcast being conducted while hearing plates clatter and crash in background and at least one crying baby per episode was really off-putting.

It's strange for me. I had dinner there but never got a chance to see the podcast. So now that it's no longer part of the show it kind of feels like I just ate at a random restaurant in a mediocre part of DC. :lol:

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:34 am

Has anybody used Audible?

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:35 am

I tried it once. I couldn't see how it made any sense from a cost standpoint so I cancelled.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:42 am

I tried it once. I couldn't see how it made any sense from a cost standpoint so I cancelled.
That's the vibe I'm getting too. It's not unlimited downloads (only 1 book/month) and at $15/month, it doesn't really make sense. It also feels overly complicated to purchase a single audio book to stream outside of the Audible architecture. It's either CD (lol) or a download link for MP3s, which are annoying. And if I have to use the Music app, it rarely saves my spot on the track.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:45 am

I haven't done it since I moved back to PA, but when I was dedicated to long distance running in NC I would use audiobooks to enable my ability to run for multiple hours in a row. I would just go to the library and check out audiobooks there and rip them to MP3. Every few months I'd buy a new release audiobook from Barnes and Noble and donate it to the library to make the deal seem less one sided.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:55 am

It's just such a bad experience listening to audio books through a music app. I can listen to four hour podcasts and have my exact position saved each time without fail. But the music app always wants to start at the beginning of the track if it's been a few hours since I listened.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:56 am

I did a 30 day trial for Audible a couple of months ago. I had a couple of long solo road trips in May, so that made sense for me.

Would I do it again? Not likely. One audiobook a month for $15 just isn't worth it to me. I have a 7-8 minute commute, and usually kids and wife who don't want to listen to my fantasy or military history foolishness. :lol: It's a weird "coin" system where you get a new book once a month, which is just strange.

Our rural-ass library has audiobooks - usable through Audible - that makes much more sense. Only issue is selection, as outside of best sellers and Nicholas Sparks/Dorothea Benton Frank/sappy Hallmark movie type books, there isn't much I like to read. But we did Harry Potter for a long road trip to Orlando a couple of years ago, which was great.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:56 am

Yeah, I tried doing books through Google Play Music and it was a really bad time.