Just Another Podcast Thread

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:08 am

Bill Simmons launches a new podcast on Oct. 1

I'm assuming he'll be doing some old stuff with Cousin Sal and Joe House, but I'm worried he won't be able to return Grantland guys like Zachary Lowe and Andy Greenwald. Them and Wesley Morris are really fun to listen to

Staggy

Postby Staggy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:29 am

Lol that's the first time I've seen anyone refer to him as Zachary.

I'm really excited for the podcast though. In his preview he specifically states how it's his own podcast and he can't get fired, so it'll be fun to hear him unfiltered for a change.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:36 am

Lol that's the first time I've seen anyone refer to him as Zachary.

I'm really excited for the podcast though. In his preview he specifically states how it's his own podcast and he can't get fired, so it'll be fun to hear him unfiltered for a change.
Hahaha I think it was autocorrected. I would never call him Zachary

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:54 am

Thanks, MiMH. I might add that to the list. I have a really nice balance now so I'm not sure where it will fit.

I might jettison Stuff You Missed in History Class. It's too socially aware and is way off it's mission. It's a feminist podcast in disguise to begin with, and has been on a LBGT kick lately with all the Bruce Jenner stuff. I don't have anything against social movements, but it started out as a fun kind of exploratory trivia podcast and now it's morphed into a cause.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:57 am

if simmons begins his new era by splooging all over the place with boston stuff, i'll bow out. i think he needs to be careful here. no one wants to hear him attempt and fail at speaking rationally about the patriots right now.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:09 am

Yeah, there is absolutely that. I already listen to one ESPN barnacle drone endlessly about local sports (Nats/Skins/...........Caps), I'm not adding a Boston version.

Staggy

Postby Staggy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:29 am

There will be a guess the lines podcast early in the week and then a NFL preview pod on Friday. I'm sure there'll be large chunks of Boston soliloquies in there but the rest of his incite is still quality. Plus his banter with Cousin Sal is always fun.

Gabe

Postby Gabe » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:28 pm

This weeks This American Life, 419: Petty Tyrant, is superb. The story is pretty entertaining on its own, but it's a great case study for why unions are absolute garbage.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/
Just listened to that one this morning. Super entertaining!

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:53 pm

There will be a guess the lines podcast early in the week and then a NFL preview pod on Friday. I'm sure there'll be large chunks of Boston soliloquies in there but the rest of his incite is still quality. Plus his banter with Cousin Sal is always fun.
his incite has been diminishing ever since he was able to hire people who want to please him. he has no one to challenge how stupid he can be except sal - and he's a friend, so it's done too diplomatically.

i don't really trust him about anything but non-celtic basketball anymore. but i still like and miss the weekly lines podcast.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:10 pm

This weeks This American Life, 419: Petty Tyrant, is superb. The story is pretty entertaining on its own, but it's a great case study for why unions are absolute garbage.

Nice.

I will circle back and say that the union in this case did take responsibility and admitted what happened was an abuse outside of their standard operating procedure.

Gabe

Postby Gabe » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:09 pm

Nice.

I will circle back and say that the union in this case did take responsibility and admitted what happened was an abuse outside of their standard operating procedure.
I kept thinking while listening to this what a great show that would make. If someone like a Netflix was able to craft a series out of this, it'd be some good viewing.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:22 am

The Demolition Man ep of the How Did This Get Made podcast is currently my favorite.

PHOOOEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNIIIIIIIIIIXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:26 am

Nice.

I kept thinking while listening to this what a great show that would make. If someone like a Netflix was able to craft a series out of this, it'd be some good viewing.
If you're referring to a TAL series, this already existed. It ran for two seasons on Showtime and I think you can find most episodes on YouTube. It was okay, but not nearly as good as the audio show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXya_2K4nMY

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:28 am

bill simmons couldn't help it. 2 minutes into his podcast rebirth and he's making a fool of himself with deflategate stuff.

this week's argument...brady is simply too busy to coordinate ball pressure with equipment staff.

Gabe

Postby Gabe » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:17 pm

Nice.

If you're referring to a TAL series, this already existed. It ran for two seasons on Showtime and I think you can find most episodes on YouTube. It was okay, but not nearly as good as the audio show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXya_2K4nMY
Actually, I meant the "Petty Tyrant" episode in particular. The guy was just vindictive and abusive to people. He had a pathetic empire, but an empire nonetheless.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:44 pm

It would basically be a sadistic version on The Office. ;)

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:35 pm

I would suggest vox's podcast "the weeds".

One that just came out today is an interview with Arthur Brooks, head of the AEI think-tank.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:34 pm

Getting into "In Our Time" BBC podcasts. Tons of History and Culture stuff in there.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:51 pm

Podcasts coming to Google Play Music. They're asking podcast creators to start uploading their feeds.

http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/201 ... music.html
We thought that would be awesome, so we plan to start offering podcasts on Google Play Music, giving podcasters access to millions of new listeners on Android phones and tablets.

To that end, today we’re launching a portal for podcasters to start uploading their shows to Google Play Music before we open up the service to listeners. Along with direct searches and browsing for podcasts, the service will connect new listeners with podcasts based on what they’re doing, how they’re feeling, or what they’re interested in. Similar to our contextual playlists for music, this will give podcast fans and new listeners a way of finding and listening to content that’s unique to Google Play Music. Podcasters in the US can start uploading shows now at g.co/podcastportal.
Google Play Music is awful because it's constantly trying to stream or sell you something. 5/6 of the menu options are upsells or streaming (My Library is the outlier). The contextual playlist stuff is gimmicky and just gets in my way when I'm trying to get to the stuff I took the time to personally select for myself.

I'm going to demo it but I doubt it'll lure me away from BeyondPod.

Craig

Postby Craig » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:47 pm

Michael shannon was on nerdist this week. Probably my favorite episode of that podcast. I am a big fan of his and always assumed he would be entertaining and he exceeded expectations.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:35 pm

I stopped Nerdist cold turkey about 6 weeks ago, just through the power of apathy. Awards season hasn't fired up yet so the guests have dried up. The last one I heard was the Kevin Bacon one and it was boring as hell, you'd think Bacon would have something to say, but, nope.

Shannon is awesome though so I'll probably listen to that one at the gym on Thursday. Thanks for the heads up.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:44 am

The Nerdist with Bruce Campbell was a lot of fun.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:12 am

Michael shannon was on nerdist this week. Probably my favorite episode of that podcast. I am a big fan of his and always assumed he would be entertaining and he exceeded expectations.
I wonder if the @midnight he was on is still online (probably OnDemand also). He was great in that as well.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:16 am

I stopped Nerdist cold turkey about 6 weeks ago, just through the power of apathy. Awards season hasn't fired up yet so the guests have dried up. The last one I heard was the Kevin Bacon one and it was boring as hell, you'd think Bacon would have something to say, but, nope.

Shannon is awesome though so I'll probably listen to that one at the gym on Thursday. Thanks for the heads up.
I check it out every so often. Can't listen to any episode with Matt Mira though.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:39 am

Source of the post Can't listen to any episode with Matt Mira though.
You don't care about his sprawling guitar collection? Tell me more about lefties!
Source of the post Bill Simmons launches a new podcast on Oct. 1

I'm assuming he'll be doing some old stuff with Cousin Sal and Joe House, but I'm worried he won't be able to return Grantland guys like Zachary Lowe and Andy Greenwald. Them and Wesley Morris are really fun to listen to
How did this end up? I haven't tried it yet.