5AF NASCAR thread (all levels including ARCA, ASA, etc)

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:41 pm

I happened to glance at that NASCAR FF league that I think relantel sucked me into. I've logged into it about 3 times all year and I'm in 2nd place.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:26 pm

It pains me to say this, but I'm permanently switching off Nascar. Helton and France have destroyed the sport, with the insane rule changes and nonstop "fine tuning".

What happened today was an absolute mockery, and a direct result of the system that has been put in place. There is no question Harvick deliberately wrecked Bayne to preserve his spot in the next "round". I can't believe Earnhardt was able to maintain his composure after he had his title hopes stolen by a deliberate act.

There's just no reason to watch anymore, especially with most of the generation I grew up with moving on. It's a shame they decided to go the WWE route.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:40 pm

I haven't watched a Sprint Cup race in forever. I still follow it by a distance and have to come to spend most of my racing dollars on local dirt tracks.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:08 pm

I mean.... Seriously. That "one GWC only" rule really was a success wasn't it?

http://i.imgur.com/7xNEbGr.gif

relantel

Postby relantel » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:40 am

@shafnutz05 Dale may have been the epitome of class there. You knew he wanted to speak out but dared not.

It's almost comical that NASCAR still has not shown the photo/video proof of who was ahead when. During the broadcast, Rick Allen asks if the caution will come out, and the 88 is already half a car ahead. Apparently they went to a scoring loop instead of video, or something, as they have not provided a definitive angle.

And to call that last "attempt" an attempt is an insult to racing fans everywhere. The incident before, the wreck happened before the leaders crossed the start finish line. The last incident was happening before the leaders crossed the start finish line. Instant yellow in one case, not in the other. If the yellow was not instant, when the released it was arbitrary. All they had to do was say "we intended to throw the caution" whether the state actually existed or not.

The Harvick mess -- OF COURSE it was intentional. There is no doubt about that. He would not have been able to maintain speed. And he had already given up spots on the prior attempt, so why NASCAR put him back up for the final "restart" (quotes because it's still a farce).

The whole situation illustrates the sheer folly of changing the rules the week of the race (3 attempts to 1). With the original rule in place, there is no advantage to Harvick doing what he did because he'll have to survive another restart or two. NASCAR deserves the controversy on this account -- they created the mess and act surprised when drivers take advantage of it.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:52 pm

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:49 am

Welp, Brian France got exactly what he wanted.

relantel

Postby relantel » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:51 am

I'm not a fan of Matt Kenseth, but from radio chatter Sunday, many other drivers/crew chiefs were, including Johnson/Knaus.

I saw no difference between what happened at Martinsville and what happened in the Edwards/Keselowski incident at Atlanta a few years back. And NASCAR took no real action against Edwards other than probation. Even other incidents such as Bowyer/Gordon were only points/money. What makes NASCAR look really laughable is the Patrick/Gilliland incident. Similar circumstances to Kenseth/Logano and it's a small point penalty and fine, lesser than Gordon's for the Bowyer tangle.

And they let Kenseth back just in time to be able to take out Joey again at Homestead!!

On this issue, I am with Denny Hamlin. #FreeMatt

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:55 am

I hate the argument that this new Chase format makes every race more important so Matt's penalty should be higher. In the old format you couldn't finish dead last two weeks in a row, win the third race and have a chance for the title. In a way it actually diminishes the importance of a race because they can be throw-outs if you're truly a championship contender. Look at Kenseth, he was awful at Charlotte, could/should have won Kansas, and was in the 20s at Talladega. His championship would have been over under the old Chase model, but this one he would have advanced in.

France practically begged Kenseth to do something, Logano flaunted his takeout move; nobody was surprised it was going to happen. It seems like everybody not associated with Penske in the garage area was fully behind Matt's actions as something he'd been forced to do. Handing out what I believe is the harshest penalty for on track behavior in the last decade just magnifies NASCAR's make it up as you go approach. It also doesn't make them look particularly unbiased when dealing with the 22 as well (pumping up his tires two weeks ago, calling the race at Talladega when they did, and coming to his "rescue" at Martinsville).

relantel

Postby relantel » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:18 pm

Tangentially related - Jr's 88 Taxslayer Chevy was on display at the pregame for the Taxslayer bowl yesterday. By far the highlight of the first half of the game was his interview coming out of one of the commercial breaks.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:19 pm

Welcome back, btw. You should stop by more often. :thumb:

relantel

Postby relantel » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:33 pm

Welcome back, btw. You should stop by more often. :thumb:
I just went through a 2 month period where I had no time at work to check, and was at work near 12 hour days, didn't feel like checking at home, and then my old laptop motherboard got fried on Halloween, and I just replaced the machine 10 days ago. Work is at least slowing down enough, and the new machine set up enough, to try and get back caught up. Thank goodness for the 5AF notification system - allowed me to quickly catch up on the old threads I had been tracking. Surprisingly, I was only 10 pages behind on the TV thread. Hell, my own Hockey stats tracking had last been updated on July 15th, so I had the entire Pens season to catch up on game by game.

I may not have time for Warz, but hopefully I'll figure it part of my routine to start briefly on 5AF before my normal work routine like I used to do with LGP back in the day.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:34 pm

Cool. So long as you're happy. :thumb:

relantel

Postby relantel » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:49 pm

Cool. So long as you're happy. :thumb:
Things are good at home so I can't complain!

on topic - that was a crazy end to the Phoenix race. And this Chase format made to be a joke where a driver who missed almost a third of the season can win the title by finishing 20th in the points.

relantel

Postby relantel » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:06 pm

NASCAR announces mini-chase format for Xfinity (Busch) and Truck series for 2016 - 7 races each, 3-3-1 elimination rounds with 12 drivers in Xfinity and 8 drivers in the Truck series.

Also doing heat races at 4 Xfinity race weekends to determine who's eligible for the Dash for Cash, and the Truck series going to a 20 minute max green flag clock.

I get what they are trying to do here but I think they missed the boat. 2015 proved how bastardized the Chase format was (Just look at Logano-Kenseth) since there were no consequences for someone who had already won in a round. (Like the all-star race a few years back - 2012 I think - where they used a variant of that format such that the winners of the first three segments sandbagged the rest without penalty) Similarly, there is no penalty for missing races even though the rule says a driver must attempt all races to be eligible for the Chase. NASCAR granted waivers to multiple drivers, including both Busch brothers, and you had a driver finish 20th in the season points be called the Champion, while the driver that had the most points the 36 race season was runner up. And even then, you had the manipulation at Talladega, wrecking on purpose to change the outcome, and NASCAR's own changing the rules midstream on normal race procedure just for that one track. (And still managing to botch that!)

IMHO, they would have been better off going to back the prior Chase format, or better yet, go with just 12 drivers and go 3-3-4 if they insist on an elimination format (as opposed to the traditional elimination that took place during the 10 race chase when a driver finished in the deep 30s and all but eliminated themselves).

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:38 pm

Ugh, NASCAR going with a caution clock in the truck series. Everytime the green flag flies they start a 20 minute clock. If it gets to twenty minutes without a caution, they throw one.

Gross.

relantel

Postby relantel » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:50 pm

Ugh, NASCAR going with a caution clock in the truck series. Everytime the green flag flies they start a 20 minute clock. If it gets to twenty minutes without a caution, they throw one.

Gross.
I hate the concept. They'd be better off going back to their halfway break the truck series had in the 90s. (And going back to the types of tracks they ran back then... Mesa Marin, Irwindale, Nashville (Fairgrounds), North Wilkesboro, IRP, Portland Speedway, Tucson Raceway Park, etc.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:16 pm

Wow. That caution clock reads like satire, but it's actually real. This sport is dead.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:28 pm

Sometimes I cannot tell which sport is worse run, the NHL or NASCAR.

Brian France killed NASCAR.

relantel

Postby relantel » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:11 pm

Sometimes I cannot tell which sport is worse run, the NHL or NASCAR.

Brian France killed NASCAR.
The Voice of NASCAR is dead.

RIP Barney Hall.

relantel

Postby relantel » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:03 am

Race Hub had a decent special on the Daytona Rising project last night. Basically rebuilt the track infrastructure without touching the track itself, all the while not missing any Cup race dates. Now it looks like a brand new stadium, complete with escalators, free wifi, and plenty of space to stow the cooler you're still allowed to bring in.

http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway ... ising.aspx

Apparently Richmond and another track recently acquired by ISC are being evaluated for similar improvements.

https://twitter.com/DISupdates/status/6 ... 2252831744

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:34 am

Nice. I want to see the Rolex 24 someday, but plan to do it from the infield.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:19 pm

relantel

Postby relantel » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:03 pm

Yikes.

Would be a shame to see him lose some or all of his farewell season to this, given we're just 11 days out from the Shootout.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:35 pm

Smoke just can't help himself