Critically Acclaimed Music, Movies, TV Shows You Don't Get

Reveutopique

Postby Reveutopique » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:11 am

The new gwen stefani album. Rev will kill me but instead of high energy and fun, it sounds like the rest of the half robotic, over produced trash from the last few years. When i hear "why you have to go and make me like you", what i actually hear is:

"We so excited, we we we so excited"

Whats with the god damn baby talk? Its cool to speak like a 3 year old now.
Aww I just want to say that Kaiser has been listening to this album pretty much non stop bc of me.

I think it's really sweet that you did that given the way you feel.

Thank you.

Reveutopique

Postby Reveutopique » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:15 am

Being a Gwen Stefani fan these days is so musically political. She is an entertainer/musician etc.
Music is a business. It takes a certain type of person to be successful. If someone figures out how to manipulate the market then I say good on them.

I will say, Gwen Stefani and No Doubt are two different things. Solo she is all about fun (and brand) and I think it's great. L.A.M.B. was missing on the market. High end punk rock ska flare..yespleasethankyou. Though I haven't ever bought anything from there I like that is available to me.

I personally love a lot of her solo stuff but the No Doubt worshipping part of me can't help but cringe at some of the songs (though the videos are fun/hilarious) and that's ok too. Those songs are just too silly for my sensibilities. All the stuff she did with Pharrell was a no go for me and commercially it reflected. Though, I think he is talented.

I think writing lyrics is difficult for Gwen. She often talks about how she went through years of writer's block.
With No Doubt She wrote songs about wondering who will marry her, that she wishes for a baby mistake, that she is often jealous of women or even suspicious of someone's intent towards her.
I used to think all these things were cringeworthy, but you know what, it takes a lot of courage to admit how you feel when you feel less than perfect. And I think for her it took a lot of strength. Those songs didn't always do so well commercially.
The songs she sings feel liberating and comforting for a lot of people. If you have not looked into No Doubt after Tragic Kingdom, you do yourself a disservice (imho).

Not to also mention that No Doubt is a band that started in the 80s. They toured their asses off. The person who gave the group their name, John Spence, was a member of the band. He often said the 80s staple phrase, "No doubt" (or so I've heard it was an 80s staple). Unfortunately he took his own life.

I think it took a lot for them to move on after that.
1985-2016 and still going strong?
So what if she puts out a couple of creative duds and has a little fun? She has more than earned this album. She sounds great live. She literally stands and delivers.
She can quiet an entire outdoor amphitheater with her presence in a matter of minutes.

As for this album, I get that she made it for money, for fun, bc she could, bc No Doubt's last album, though a fantastic album, went over the heads of most. I bet if all this stuff with her personal life had happened while she was concentrating on No Doubt, she would have written the album with them.

I really don't know that I care that this album is over produced. Intelligently I know all this but my brain is just super excited. My ear thinks of this album as a great summer pop break up album.

Sorry not sorry that Gwen Stefani has a number 1 record which you can enjoy on many levels (fun, serious, heartache, light hearted, it's all there).

Tragic Kingdom is the first album I memorized (as you can attest Kaiser). It actually inspired 10 year old me to write down the lyrics to and plunk out a song on my keyboard (I remember it was called Downfall..Don't know what I was thinking). And then many more songs.

And honestly, No Doubt and Garbage were like gateway drugs for me into a crazy musical world.
Can you say you've ever felt that way? Not to also mention other things No Doubt's music was there with me for that has no place here. I will always be grateful to Gwen Stefani.

So yes, Gwen Stefani is someone I would put on to get ready to go out on the town or at a party even.

No Doubt for all other occasions and maybe newer No Doubt for parties too!

I did not mean to go into such a long winded essay post, but well, everyone has that one thing...

Reveutopique

Postby Reveutopique » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:53 am

On Topic:

Jackson Pollock.

Every time I used to walk by that stupid Autumn Rhythm painting it looked like diarreah to me. Unfortunately I think he influenced just about everything today.

Also the fire hazard that is Damon Lindelof.
Lost, Prometheus both ruined.
And I know people will kill me for this but
SNL

I haven't seen too much before the 00s so maybe it's different, but now, most of it is just not funny.

Although, individually I personally find the women are funny.

Seinfeld drove me crazy (but I love Curb your enthusiasm. .. that guy reminds me pretty much of Kaiser and it is so amazing)
Friends - it is ok, borderline trashy

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:31 am

On Topic:
...Friends - it is ok, borderline trashy....
That's a good one. Never liked that show.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:37 am

Agreed. Never liked Friends.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:11 am

Also the fire hazard that is Damon Lindelof.
Lost, Prometheus both ruined.
Preach

BigMck

Postby BigMck » Tue May 10, 2016 12:58 am

Apocalypse Now.

Have seen many partial viewing of this classic. None on a big screen.

3+ hours. Major investment.

Have a DVD to view.

If they put a full cheese cake in front of you, award winning cheese cake, at some point you start to lose interest.

My issue. Still could never sit for 3+ hours.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 10, 2016 1:12 am

Redux was interesting, but only if you had seen the original cut. Bummer you didn't like the movie.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 10, 2016 10:42 am

I didn't like it either but I don't think I'm the audience for it.

Waffles
Location: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Postby Waffles » Tue May 10, 2016 10:44 am

Pearl Jam, for the love of God Pearl Jam. I do NOT get the hype.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 10, 2016 10:45 am

@FreeCandy44

:pop:

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue May 10, 2016 10:46 am

Triggered.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Tue May 10, 2016 12:10 pm

Ten came out when I was in high school and I was into it. For whatever reason, though, I never got Vs.

Then Vitalogy came out my freshman year of college. Dude at the end of my hall got it the day it came out (December 1994) and proceeded to mostly ruin my enjoyment of the band because he played that album every day until the end of the school year.

Almost 22 years later, I still can't hear "Nothingman" and "Better Man" without cringing.

FreeCandy44

Postby FreeCandy44 » Thu May 12, 2016 10:53 pm