Blackjack's Thread of Illness and Ailments

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:37 pm

Went to the eye doctor yesterday cause it has been over a year since the last time and they have been spamming me to go. Go in do the normal stuff, my rx changed a bit ...you don't have any major eye issues, but then was told that in the next couple years I may end up needing bifocals instead of regular everyday glasses like I have now. Like I'm 40....not 50 or 60 WTF????. My wife got a good chuckle out of that when I told her.
I had never worn glasses in my life. I went in last year and now have progressives. I was just wearing drug store reading glasses before that but I discovered that I did have some distance issues so progressives were my best option. It's been awesome. I hated taking glasses on and off for reading and now my 4K tv actually looks 4k. Watching TV while scrolling my phone is much easier now.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:41 pm

Went to the eye doctor yesterday cause it has been over a year since the last time and they have been spamming me to go. Go in do the normal stuff, my rx changed a bit ...you don't have any major eye issues, but then was told that in the next couple years I may end up needing bifocals instead of regular everyday glasses like I have now. Like I'm 40....not 50 or 60 WTF????. My wife got a good chuckle out of that when I told her.
I have never worn glasses in my life. I went in last year and now have progressives. I was just wearing reading glasses before that but I discovered that I did have some distance issues so progressives were my best option. It's been awesome. I hated taking glasses on and off for reading and now my 4K tv actually looks 4k. Watching TV while scrolling my phone is much easier now.
My wife convinced me to go to the eye doctor like 4 years ago after not going forever. It was a game changer. I was always like why is everything so blurry?? Well it's cause my eyes were bad. I am near sighted from what my RX says. In any event getting a good pair of glasses with anti glare stuff has been just eye opening for lack of a better term. If I take my glasses off everything goes blurry far away....its crazy.

The only thing I didn't do one my most recent pair of glasses was the transition stuff. I thought it was a good idea that they were go dark when the sun was out cause they could double for sunglasses, but then i realized i look like an idiot in the winter walking around in what looked like sunglasses when it was 10 degrees out and sunny.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:43 pm

The need for sunglasses is higher in the winter because of the light reflecting off of snow.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:44 pm

Exactly the same for me. I didn't realize how bad my vision was until I finally got my glasses. I just assumed that everybody's vision was the same as mine. I was getting pissed that even 4K media looked blurry on my C1.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:46 pm

I cannot recommend Zenni optical enough for both normal glasses and RX sunglasses. For the glasses, $30 a pair. I can buy 3 or 4 from them at the price you'd pay at the eye doctor. At that point, they're almost disposable.

The sunglasses are nice too. They get a touch more expensive with the polarized lenses, but still worth it. I have a pair in my car for driving and a pair in my backpack for when I'm traveling.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:47 pm

The need for sunglasses is higher in the winter because of the light reflecting off of snow.
That may be true, but when walking around a store with what looks like sunglasses in the dead of winter(since it takes a while for them to go to normal after getting out of the sunlight)....maybe I'm just self conscious but I was like I look like a jagoff.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:48 pm

I cannot recommend Zenni optical enough for both normal glasses and RX sunglasses. For the glasses, $30 a pair. I can buy 3 or 4 from them at the price you'd pay at the eye doctor. At that point, they're almost disposable.

The sunglasses are nice too. They get a touch more expensive with the polarized lenses, but still worth it. I have a pair in my car for driving and a pair in my backpack for when I'm traveling.
I'm guessing you don't have progressives right? From everything I've read, it's damn near impossible to get the proper measurements from an online retailer.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:50 pm

I just go to that mreyedr place that there are a ton of around me. Our vision insurnace is actually pretty good and we dont get charged for exams, get like $150 off frames, and lenses are free minus the added stuff (like anti glare), so it's not that expensive when all said and done. I'm also partial to the Nike frames as I've had those for my last two pairs (and my new ones I just ordered).

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:52 pm

I do not have progressives.... I know Zenni offers progressives and they're a touch more expensive than the standard lens, but I don't know anyone that has purchased them to know how well they work.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:58 pm

I just could not get used to progressives, and actually hated them. So now I have normal glasses, which I put on maybe once a month, and readers for when I'm browsing on my phone.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:55 pm

I just could not get used to progressives, and actually hated them. So now I have normal glasses, which I put on maybe once a month, and readers for when I'm browsing on my phone.
It took me about 3 weeks to get 100% used to them. It was rough but now I can’t imagine going without them.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:56 pm

I got readers for the first time at 47. Not ready for progressives but it is a pain not having them with me 100% of the time. Thinking of buying some off-the-shelfers as a backup

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:15 pm

Almost 8 years ago I was at the Winking Lizard by the arena in Cleveland before a game. I realized I couldn't read the beer menu without shining the flashlight on my phone on it. Scheduled eye appointment the next day.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:39 pm

I found out I have cataracts the last time I was at the eye doctor, had just turned 40 too. I thought I misheard her.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:48 pm

I've been wearing progressives for about five years (it was over due by at least 5 years) now and love them.

Glasses swapping is no way to live.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:49 pm

And they are expensive but worth it.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:54 pm

Random question but do you just ask your eye doctor for your prescription info? Like.. How does zenni know. Wouldn't my eye doctor (who sells glasses) get mad about that?

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:04 pm

Yes.

No.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:51 pm

I can see my eye rx in my online portal thing.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:18 pm

Random question but do you just ask your eye doctor for your prescription info? Like.. How does zenni know. Wouldn't my eye doctor (who sells glasses) get mad about that?
You pay for them to provide your prescription. What you do with it afterwards is up to you.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:34 am

Under the Ophthalmic Practice Rules from the Federal Trade Commission, 16 C.F.R. § 456.2, it is illegal for a ophthalmologist or optometrist to:

- Refuse to give you a copy of your prescription;
- Condition an eye exam on buying any ophthalmic goods;
- Charge any fee (other than the cost of the eye exam itself) for a copy of your prescription; or
- Force patients to sign a waiver or disclaimer of liability in order to obtain a copy of the prescription.

An ophthalmologist or optometrist is actually supposed to give you a copy of the prescription after every visit and without being asked. My own optometrist doesn't do that, although I've never made an issue of it.

The same rules apply to contact lenses under 16 C.F.R. § 315.3.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:58 am

They’re well aware at this point what’s going on. On your way out, ask the lady at the desk for your prescription along with your pupillary distance (they don’t always include that, but it’s necessary to get that right for your glasses). They just print it for you.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:20 am

I didn't even have to ask. They just gave it to me.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:58 pm

Back in June, when I was cleaning up the wood that Duquesne Light left in my yard, I managed to drop a splitting wedge on my foot (fortunately not edge down) so that it hit right at the base of the nail of one of my big toes, which generated a blood mark under the nail. The nail has finally grown enough where the next couple clippings will get rid of it. That spot has been irrationally annoying me for months.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:01 pm

Did you sue duq light for causing this injury