Blackjack's Thread of Illness and Ailments

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:48 am

Hopefully, it's just the nose tickler and not the brain stabber method. That's what I had a few weeks ago. It took five days to get the results back, but it's SC, so...

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:54 am

Woke up at 4am and just couldn't get back to sleep. Laid there staring at the ceiling when it dawned on me that I don't remember what pure silence sounds like thanks to tinnitus. Mine is thankfully manageable, but I wouldn't wish this on anyone.
Do you think the tinnitus kept you awake? I have it too, but only notice it when I think about it. There are times when I stare at the ceiling not able to sleep and now wonder if this is part of the reason why.
I don't think so, no. I had a massive headache which was part of the issue. It's just so noticeable when the house is quiet, because it's all you hear. I really hope that the treatments I keep hearing around in Ireland and Europe make their way over here, because I would pay whatever it costs to be included.
I'd probably get it too. It doesn't bother me as much, just when things are quiet like you said. It also affects my hearing, so in that sense it would be worth it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:56 am

Woke up at 4am and just couldn't get back to sleep. Laid there staring at the ceiling when it dawned on me that I don't remember what pure silence sounds like thanks to tinnitus. Mine is thankfully manageable, but I wouldn't wish this on anyone.
Do you think the tinnitus kept you awake? I have it too, but only notice it when I think about it. There are times when I stare at the ceiling not able to sleep and now wonder if this is part of the reason why.
I don't think so, no. I had a massive headache which was part of the issue. It's just so noticeable when the house is quiet, because it's all you hear. I really hope that the treatments I keep hearing around in Ireland and Europe make their way over here, because I would pay whatever it costs to be included.
I'd probably get it too. It doesn't bother me as much, just when things are quiet like you said. It also affects my hearing, so in that sense it would be worth it.
I have a little hearing loss in my left ear (very minor), so I do wonder if it would help with that, as well.

Always wear your earplugs, and turn down the music. Learned that last lesson the hard way.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:59 am

I have a little hearing loss in my left ear (very minor), so I do wonder if it would help with that, as well.

Always wear your earplugs, and turn down the music. Learned that last lesson the hard way.
I'm bad at the earplug thing. I work near compressors/compressed air all the time and need to be better about it.

That said, I'm 99% sure my tinnitus came from a concussion I had when I was 4. Fell out of a shopping cart humpty dumpty style.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:02 am

I'm bad at the earplug thing. I work near compressors/compressed air all the time and need to be better about it.

That said, I'm 99% sure my tinnitus came from a concussion I had when I was 4. Fell out of a shopping cart humpty dumpty style.
I used to use in-ear plugs for lawn stuff, but switched to these:

Love them. They cut so much noise, and still allow me to listen to music at a low level while I mow the lawn and stuff.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:38 am

Hopefully, it's just the nose tickler and not the brain stabber method. That's what I had a few weeks ago. It took five days to get the results back, but it's SC, so...
Nose tickler it was. They told me if it's positive it'll be 48-72 hours. If it's negative, they'll contact me in 5-7 days. Seems odd to split the two, but it is what it is. Free PTO today and tomorrow. I know it's not ideal to be sick, but I'll take free PTO at the expense of a nose tickle.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:55 pm

Being a recreational shooter made me very sensitive about my hearing, and because I shoot I have plenty of types of hearing protection. I not only wear muffs or plugs when mowing the lawn and vacuuming, I even keep a pair of earplugs in the kitchen to wear when using my blender, which can get pretty loud. Back when I had Pens season tickets, I also kept a pair of plugs in my coat pocket to wear at the game. The sound system in the arena is damn loud.

My go-to plugs for concerts, Penguins games, and the like are the Etymotic Research ER20 plugs. They're designed for concerts and similar events and offer a fairly even decibel cut across the frequency range, so sounds just end up quieter and not muffled or muddy. The noise suppression isn't enough for shooting, but they're great for most everything else. I love these things. They even come in two sizes.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:59 pm

Speaking of, I need to do something about our Dyson stick vac, like DynaMat the motor casing. It is absurdly loud.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:59 pm

My parents still can't get an appt for the vaccine. How did your Dad get his?

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:13 pm

DynaMat is primarily for vibration suppression.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:13 pm

****, that’s right, I forgot.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:32 pm

Re ear pro for noisy stuff

I can also recommend the Surefire EP series. They offer a few different versions, so you can sort of tailor to what you need, and they are flush to your outer ear so they can be worn with more robust ear pro (muffs) in a layered type situation.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:47 pm

I’m not 100% sure. He did it one way for himself, and another way for my mom. My mother in law got her appointment through the state website - but it took 90 minutes. This is a good place to start: https://scdhec.gov/vaxlocator

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:56 pm

I’m not 100% sure. He did it one way for himself, and another way for my mom. My mother in law got her appointment through the state website - but it took 90 minutes. This is a good place to start: https://scdhec.gov/vaxlocator
:thumb:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:29 pm

I swear that ever since I brought up my tinnitus it has gotten worse. Or maybe it’s just in my head.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:18 am

so I guess I wasn't supposed to block that slapshot with my index finger....

don't click unless you can handle blood:
they had to drill a hole in the nail and almost 48 hours later it's still draining and the entire finger is swollen and purple. :scared:
on the bright side, it was the easiest ER visit I've ever had. I didn't see anyone but ER staff the entire time I was there.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:25 am

I'm not clicking that but I assure you that you have my condolences.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:26 am

It was pretty tame, actually. shoeshine oversold the hell out of it, IMO. :)

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:32 am

Ya boy meow has a similar story, but with a thumb. All I’ll say about it was the ER doctor said he stopped counting the fragments of my bone at 18.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:44 am

It was pretty tame, actually. shoeshine oversold the hell out of it, IMO. :)
for sure. when my ear got split it was much worse. my SO said it looked like bacon. :lol:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:27 pm

so I guess I wasn't supposed to block that slapshot with my index finger....

don't click unless you can handle blood:
they had to drill a hole in the nail and almost 48 hours later it's still draining and the entire finger is swollen and purple. :scared:
on the bright side, it was the easiest ER visit I've ever had. I didn't see anyone but ER staff the entire time I was there.
Slamming my finger in a door, to this day, is the most intense pain I have ever experienced. Not the moment itself, but waking up at midnight almost in tears from the throbbing pressure of the blood underneath my nail. I held a needle over a flame until it was red hot, and punctured the nail. The relief was almost immediate.

For the pain to be bad enough for me to shove a red hot needle into my nail in the middle of the night...well, yeah.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:14 am

Woke up at 4 AM with restless legs. Finally threw in the towel at 445 and came downstairs to start my day. Damn it.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:12 am

Can anyone recommend a good pillow for side sleepers that'll reduce hip and thigh pain/numbness?

I have been trying the pillow between my legs truck but think I may need lumbar support too

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:49 am

A new mattress

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:20 am

I use a big body pillow that I can throw a leg over. I must admit that I'm also intrigued by those wraparound "pregnancy pillows" for women. Example: