Blackjack's Thread of Illness and Ailments

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:48 pm

On June 24, my wife went to UPMC Passavant ER (there was nothing wrong with her BTW, I honestly don't even remember what her symptoms were). Bill over $10k, primarily $7k for a CAT scan. BCBS processed it on July 3 with an amount we were responsible for of $2,078.

Still have not received a bill from UPMC. Sometimes it takes a while I guess? I don't know why it would take 6-9 months but I'll keep my head in the sand till the bill arrives.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:27 pm

Was traveling for work this week. Last night I decided just to get Chinese takeout and eat in my hotel room as I had an early flight out. It was pretty tasty… not as tasty a 1 in the morning going the other way though.

I woke up with chills, shaking, puked, kept shaking started sweating, more chills. Was not an enjoyable night. Today has sucked too. I think I’m just exhausted, and I haven’t eaten anything as I’m a touch gun-shy at the moment.

Fun times.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:04 am

oh man! being sick while traveling is the worst! keep hydrating though, even if you can't eat anything.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:10 am

Thanks. Luckily I’m home now, but man does this suck. Woozy, achy, nauseous, not hungry at all, just the worst. Maybe it’s not food poisoning, must be some sort of bug.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:50 am

Thanks. Luckily I’m home now, but man does this suck. Woozy, achy, nauseous, not hungry at all, just the worst. Maybe it’s not food poisoning, must be some sort of bug.
That's how I felt when I was sick a few weeks ago. I suddenly didn't start feeling well before bed, threw up soon after I went to bed, then felt absolutely horrible for the entire next day with the same symptoms. I felt much better the day after and almost back to 100%

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:28 pm

Mrs Mac got what she is pretty sure is a mild bout of listeria from some deli turkey lunchmeat on Saturday.

Me, I'm fighting off a sinus infection and accompanying fever last night. Lost 9lbs of fluids in 2 days.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:34 pm

My mom took one of those Cologuard tests after refusing to get a colonoscopy for years because of the prep (which **** infuriates me to no end), and the results showed blood in the stool. Didn’t sound like the pre-cancer DNA part was positive, just blood. So now she is forced to get a colonoscopy. Really hope it turns out to be nothing, but having to wait until early March for the procedure really **** blows.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:46 pm

I've got to get one too. Lead time is like five months here. Ugh.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:13 am

That's how I felt when I was sick a few weeks ago. I suddenly didn't start feeling well before bed, threw up soon after I went to bed, then felt absolutely horrible for the entire next day with the same symptoms. I felt much better the day after and almost back to 100%
Definitely the same progression... Yesterday I felt a good bit better, today almost back to feeling normal. It's so bizarre, that pop of relief of just feeling normal again.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:44 am

I always like going in to look at my resting heart rate when I'm sick/recovering. I thought over Christmas when I topped out at an 84 bpm resting heart rate was wild. That one slowly (over the course of two weeks) got back down to the low 60's. This one went even higher (probably due to traveling plus being sick), but recovered faster. I typically am around 60 bpm for my resting heart rate. Rose to 79 bpm on Tuesday and 91 bpm on Wednesday. Back down to 64 today.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:14 am

Now let’s find a way to quickly accelerate cancer treatments.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:14 am

I have a cold…

Give me something for the pain and let me die

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:51 am

My mom took one of those Cologuard tests after refusing to get a colonoscopy for years because of the prep (which **** infuriates me to no end), and the results showed blood in the stool. Didn’t sound like the pre-cancer DNA part was positive, just blood. So now she is forced to get a colonoscopy. Really hope it turns out to be nothing, but having to wait until early March for the procedure really **** blows.
look into different kinds of preps. some aren't that bad but you may have to pay out of pocket. I had my first colonoscopy in my 20s due to some issues. I avoided follow-ups for over 20 years because the prep (a gallon of thick, disgusting liquid) was so awful. my doctor told me that preps had gotten "easier" so I relented. the prep was 2 small bottles of liquid taken 6 hours apart and then all the usual "liquids and jello only". my insurance wouldn't cover the better prep but the pharmacist said it was $150 if I just paid out of pocket. it was worth every penny.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:54 am

Is it possible for three people to eat the same food and only one get food poisoning? My wife has been having a rough go since last night's dinner but all four of us at the exact same thing (it was a Moe's taco kit), and haven't had the same issues. I'm thinking it's probably a stomach bug instead but she's insisting on food poisoning.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:11 am

Yea, probably the stomach bug that's going around.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:12 am

I've had a head cold for the better part of two weeks, and on Saturday my left ear become blocked. I feel like this is happening to a lot of people head cold wise, and I absolutely can not shake this one.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:14 am

Same. At least 10 days in on this current head cold. Sleeping like crap because my nose is so stuffy and I can't wear my CPAP effectively.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:43 am

Is it possible for three people to eat the same food and only one get food poisoning? My wife has been having a rough go since last night's dinner but all four of us at the exact same thing (it was a Moe's taco kit), and haven't had the same issues. I'm thinking it's probably a stomach bug instead but she's insisting on food poisoning.
Interesting. I had a bug for about 36 hours and I was sort of blaming it on jersey mikes. This happened from Friday evening (when I ate the hoagie) into Sunday morning.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:47 am

I thought it was 100% the Chinese food I had for dinner... a few days later I realized it was a tummy bug. My wife is recovering now from it. She seems to have had a better go at it than me.

As to the question: can different people have different reactions to a food (someone get food poisoning and some not)? Yeah. Absolutely. We all have different gut make-ups. It's why you don't drink the water when you go to Mexico. Their stomach has gotten used to that stuff. Yours hasn't. Much like being exposed to an illness that you already have an immunity to vs one you don't.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:08 am

I've had a head cold for the better part of two weeks, and on Saturday my left ear become blocked. I feel like this is happening to a lot of people head cold wise, and I absolutely can not shake this one.

I had something similar a month ago but it cleared up in roughly a week

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:15 pm

Went to the dentist for the first time since 2019- my old dentist retired during COVID.

So not only do I need three crowns (not necessarily all at once) due to grinding plus drinking acidic beverages, they saw an abscess in one of my front teeth and I have been sent for a consult on a root canal.

Lovely.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:55 pm

I guess the lesson is never go to the dentist.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:56 pm

I haven’t been to the dentist in like two decades probably. I’ll go someday.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:57 pm

I haven’t been to the dentist in like two decades probably. I’ll go someday.
Same. I’m dreading that first visit back.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:05 pm

Wow I thought I was the only one. I think legitimately 2009. I'm seriously considering a visit though because I have a weird hard thing on my tooth