willeyeam

Blackjack's Thread of Illness and Ailments

Postby willeyeam » Thu May 20, 2021 12:35 pm

Flo nase

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu May 20, 2021 12:48 pm

Allegra and FloNase are my current cocktail. My ENT has told me that some people have to cycle from Allegra to Claritin to Allegra throughout the year

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu May 20, 2021 1:24 pm

Thanks all. Looks like I'll be hitting the drug aisle with my cart full of candy today

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu May 20, 2021 2:54 pm

As a new antihistamine user, Xyzal has worked for me much better than Claritin.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu May 20, 2021 3:28 pm

My aunt raves about Xyzal. I can’t get beyond the name. Seems like a drug that is cut with sawdust or something.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu May 20, 2021 3:42 pm

Xyzal and Zyrtec require avoidance of alcohol. Might be tough during playoff games.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu May 20, 2021 4:26 pm

Zyrtec made my daughter pretty insane. It’s a scary one.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sun May 23, 2021 7:58 pm

Allegra-D and generic Singulair usually work well enough for me, but my allergies have been really bad recently.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon May 24, 2021 8:33 am

FloNase seems to be the big winner for me. I took an Alegra the first day, but haven't taken it since. Symptoms are mostly gone. Yesterday I biked for 2 hours and worked in the garden without sneezing/itchy eyes.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon May 24, 2021 5:51 pm

live shot of me at Occupational Therapy for my broken finger today:

the therapist did this thing where she coated my hand in paraffin wax and then she stretched and bent the **** out of my finger for about 5 minutes. holy carp that hurt! :cry:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue May 25, 2021 6:52 am

That sounds like a nightmare. I'd almost rather take my chances with home recovery.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue May 25, 2021 1:23 pm

Last night sucked for obvious reasons.

Today, I had an appointment to have a crown removed and replaced. Three novacaine shots later, I was still feeling about a 7 out of 10 on the pain scale, because they couldn't get the old crown off. I don't even remember when I had it done...it may have been a military crown, which would explain a lot.

Literally 55 minutes of squeezing the armrests until I had pins and needles. Only to find out that there are issues down under the crown, and there's an 80/20 chance I am going to have to get a root canal done, and THEN get a new crown.

I just went to drink a little bit of water and I spilled it all over the front of my shirt and pants because I still can't feel my tongue.

How's your day going?

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue May 25, 2021 1:26 pm

I just picked up a 10 pack of generic Xyzal to try it out.

So far Claritin, zyrtec, and Allegra have been decent enough to last me about 8 hours but that's it. I usually take one in the morning and one at night. Going to try a Xyzal tonight, I hear taking it at night is better?

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue May 25, 2021 1:27 pm

Today, I had an appointment to have a crown removed and replaced. Three novacaine shots later, I was still feeling about a 7 out of 10 on the pain scale, because they couldn't get the old crown off. I don't even remember when I had it done...it may have been a military crown, which would explain a lot.

Literally 55 minutes of squeezing the armrests until I had pins and needles. Only to find out that there are issues down under the crown, and there's an 80/20 chance I am going to have to get a root canal done, and THEN get a new crown.

I just went to drink a little bit of water and I spilled it all over the front of my shirt and pants because I still can't feel my tongue.

How's your day going?
Did they do a root canal prior to the crown? I think all of my crowns came with root canal prerequisites.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue May 25, 2021 1:37 pm

How's your day going?
Did they do a root canal prior to the crown? I think all of my crowns came with root canal prerequisites.
Nope. This would be my first.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue May 25, 2021 1:41 pm

So far Claritin, zyrtec, and Allegra have been decent enough to last me about 8 hours but that's it. I usually take one in the morning and one at night. Going to try a Xyzal tonight, I hear taking it at night is better?
Have you tried FloNase yet? Seems to be my golden ticket at least. This from the person whose nose skin is peeling bc I was constantly blowing it as of a week ago.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue May 25, 2021 3:05 pm

my last crown did not require a root canal. there was the "well, you might have to have one down the road" setup but that was 2 years ago and no *knock wood* pain since.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue May 25, 2021 4:39 pm

Have you tried FloNase yet? Seems to be my golden ticket at least. This from the person whose nose skin is peeling bc I was constantly blowing it as of a week ago.
Back in the day I got terrible nose bleeds from Flonase. I'm talking like 10+ years. I suppose I could try it again if the xyzal doesn't work. Does it help with itchy ears and throat also?

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue May 25, 2021 4:39 pm

my last crown did not require a root canal. there was the "well, you might have to have one down the road" setup but that was 2 years ago and no *knock wood* pain since.
Interesting. I always thought crowns and root canals were like peas and carrots.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 25, 2021 4:40 pm

Interesting. I always thought crowns and root canals were like peas and carrots.
They usually are.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue May 25, 2021 4:43 pm

I should note: the crown was needed after I chipped the tooth on a sweettart. true story.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue May 25, 2021 5:29 pm

Back in the day I got terrible nose bleeds from Flonase. I'm talking like 10+ years. I suppose I could try it again if the xyzal doesn't work. Does it help with itchy ears and throat also?
Itchy ears? Itchy eyes, sure. I don't get itchy throats, so can't say anything there. And I'm on another medicine that gives me nose bleeds, so can't speak for that other than the nose bleeds aren't getting any worse.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue May 25, 2021 5:32 pm

Itchy ears? Itchy eyes, sure. I don't get itchy throats, so can't say anything there.
You don't get the pleasure of scratching your throat with your tongue either.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue May 25, 2021 8:00 pm

I have a device with a wireless receiver with a modem in it next to my bed that reads my defibrillator every few months and transmits the data to the company in TX and back to the cardiologist's office for a doctor to look at. The wireless in the defibrillator stopped working a few months ago so tomorrow I have use this wand device pushed against my chest to read the data in and push a few buttons to get it to submit. I asked about rebooting the device and they said that they couldn't be sure it would come back up. $100K device/operation. It has 5.75 years of battery life remaining.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed May 26, 2021 6:42 am

I have a device with a wireless receiver with a modem in it next to my bed that reads my defibrillator every few months and transmits the data to the company in TX and back to the cardiologist's office for a doctor to look at. The wireless in the defibrillator stopped working a few months ago so tomorrow I have use this wand device pushed against my chest to read the data in and push a few buttons to get it to submit. I asked about rebooting the device and they said that they couldn't be sure it would come back up. $100K device/operation. It has 5.75 years of battery life remaining.
That's wild. So there is no way of restarting it if something goes awry?